PDA

View Full Version : Frog Lube

Ryvax
03-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Just switched to frog lube last night. Its a long process to prep every gun for the first time with the paste but i love how the metal gets all smooth and not oily. Ill have to see how it performs at the range but im not too worried about it. I've heard nothing but good things.

Anyone else use frog lube?

Skoal 24/7
03-24-2013, 07:29 AM
I bow down to the alter of the frog,hands down the best there is.

Ryvax
03-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Do you use the solvent? I only got the CLP and the paste.

Forbes/Hutton
03-24-2013, 08:43 AM
I switched over a year ago and haven't looked back. Started using it on the tools around the house too.

Skoal 24/7
03-24-2013, 09:34 AM
I use the liquid for down the bore and paste for everything else.

NorCalDustin
03-24-2013, 10:18 AM
I bought a starter kit awhile back... I've yet to use it.

Normally i use high temp wheel bearing grease which works really well. When i spoke to the rep, he didnt really have any reason Frog Lube was better other than being environmentally friendly and the smell.

Still.. I'll give it a fair shake... Many people in the know seem impressed with it.

lone-wolf
03-24-2013, 10:20 AM
I've used it on my knife & axe - 'edible'

Personally I like gunzilla for firearms.

Spectre
03-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I use it on just about everything metallic. I'm not sold on the solvent though. I tried it after the last AR shoot. It seemed to bead up on the surface, and even after brushing it I thought it didn't remove as well as just the frog lube CLP.

Ryvax
03-24-2013, 11:02 AM
I use it on just about everything metallic. I'm not sold on the solvent though. I tried it after the last AR shoot. It seemed to bead up on the surface, and even after brushing it I thought it didn't remove as well as just the frog lube CLP.

I'll just use the CLP then. I like keeping things simple.

Stone Horse
03-25-2013, 08:11 PM
I haven't tried Frog Lube yet. How does it compare to Ballistol as a CLP?

BTW, I like the smell of Ballistol but many do not. I love Ballistol as a cleaner and protectorate but I still use Break-Free as a lube. I find Ballistol a little too thin to use as a lube for my liking but it is the low surface tension that makes Ballistol such a great cleaner. This stiff creeps in everywhere and non-toxic as well.

hercster
03-25-2013, 08:25 PM
The products work beautifully. Clean up is a piece of cake and that includes your hands. Much less likely to P.O. management too. After following the instructions and doing a through first application I see no need for a solvent other than occasional use in the bore for copper

Grain
03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
... I love Ballistol as a cleaner and protectorate...

Where have you been buying your Ballistol? I've been keeping an eye out for some, but no luck so far. I always have a big can of G96 and RemOil around, but would like to give it a whirl too.

Prairie Dog
03-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Just switched to frog lube last night. Its a long process to prep every gun for the first time with the paste but i love how the metal gets all smooth and not oily. Ill have to see how it performs at the range but im not too worried about it. I've heard nothing but good things.

Anyone else use frog lube?

What's involved?

Ryvax
03-26-2013, 12:15 PM
What's involved?

You have to completely strip all petro chemicals from the gun (I used brake cleaner). Then you heat up all metal pieces with a heatgun and brush on copious amounts of paste over the parts. Takes time doing one piece at a time. Then you let it sit for a couple hours, then buff everything off with a microfiber cloth. Then you are set. I guess it's not that bad.

Canuck
03-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Who carries it?

lone-wolf
03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
One Shot Tactical has froglube & gunzilla.

Ryvax
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
I just bought mine from DS Tactical

blaxsun
03-26-2013, 01:20 PM
You have to completely strip all petro chemicals from the gun (I used brake cleaner). Then you heat up all metal pieces with a heatgun and brush on copious amounts of paste over the parts. Takes time doing one piece at a time. Then you let it sit for a couple hours, then buff everything off with a microfiber cloth. Then you are set. I guess it's not that bad.

It's not quite that involved, and you don't need to clean everything prior. When you go to clean your gun, just grab a blowdryer and briefly heat the parts you'd normally clean until they're warm to the touch (this helps the FrogLube permeate into the metal). Simply brush on enough FrogLube to cover everything, then let sit for an hour - and wipe off as you normally would. Voila.

You'll be amazed the crap that gets pulled off when wiping it down after, and how much less of a chore cleaning becomes post shooting sessions.

lone-wolf
03-26-2013, 01:25 PM
That's how I did my blades

blaxsun
03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
That's how I did my blades

It's amazing how many gun-specific treatments actually have universal applications. Take G96 on household door hinges, for example: no more of that black graphite spray, no squeaking, rusting and free-swinging doors.

Stone Horse
03-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Where have you been buying your Ballistol? I've been keeping an eye out for some, but no luck so far. I always have a big can of G96 and RemOil around, but would like to give it a whirl too.
Reliable Gun in Vancouver carries the smaller bottles. The larger 16 oz containers from Canada Ammo.com. Failing that, go to ballistol.ca (Peter Smith Trading).

Cheers.

Ryvax
03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
It's not quite that involved, and you don't need to clean everything prior. When you go to clean your gun, just grab a blowdryer and briefly heat the parts you'd normally clean until they're warm to the touch (this helps the FrogLube permeate into the metal). Simply brush on enough FrogLube to cover everything, then let sit for an hour - and wipe off as you normally would. Voila.

You'll be amazed the crap that gets pulled off when wiping it down after, and how much less of a chore cleaning becomes post shooting sessions.

I do tend to over do things. And I also enjoy cleaning my guns..... weird I know.

Grain
03-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Reliable Gun in Vancouver carries the smaller bottles. The larger 16 oz containers from Canada Ammo.com. Failing that, go to ballistol.ca (Peter Smith Trading).

Cheers.

Thanks. Made an order through with CanAm a little over a week ago, so I'll have to wait for the next one.

lone-wolf
03-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Ah, hell I just ordered some more from DS. They owe me a discount for abandoning an order I made in december.

badboybeeson
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
used to be really into it and we sold lots of it when i was at osts, we were one of the first if not the first dealer to sell it, ray was just pimping it at gunshows at the time.
but started using it when it was really cold...
it did not work well.
stripped and cleaned out 4 guns, and tried again this winter, even my KAC would not work well.
swiched back to drifilm lube and ghriphite.
Gunzilla and g96 for summer

SavageLapua
07-08-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm happy with it so far, it works well in my handguns... AND it's good on toast...

SL

Ryvax
07-08-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm still loving my frog lube after a few trips to the range.

Question for those saying it doesn't work well in the cold. Do you just use a light film in the winter or the same as summer?

2centtactical
07-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I love it for warm weather work but I do have to agree with Simon it doesn't work well when it freezes.

doo925
09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Who carries it?

I've just started using Frog Lube and so far I'm impressed. My guns, both AR and hand, seem to feel and run smoother. So far so good. BTW Canuck, I've got a 6oz. bottle waiting here for you.

hercster
09-09-2013, 04:02 PM
My guns never see the cold and so it's FL for me. Besides doing its job lube wise, it just makes cleaning which I like to do anyway a breeze. A big plus is what it does for improving relations with management who generally don't like the smells that us perfectly reasonable testosterone types like.

I've never had to entertain a corrective interview since adopting FL. I save money on other supplies too as much of the clean up is with a paper napkin or two.

Canuck
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
I've just started using Frog Lube and so far I'm impressed. My guns, both AR and hand, seem to feel and run smoother. So far so good. BTW Canuck, I've got a 6oz. bottle waiting here for you.

Even more of an excuse to come and visit/shoot!! Thanks.

Canuck
09-09-2013, 04:17 PM
For those wondering how to apply it, I found this helpful:

http://youtu.be/3-depzYZC8w

doo925
09-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Good video. Thanks big guy.