PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys!

coastal
03-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Hey just curious if there's any cowboy action shooters on here....my question is what would be the staple guns to get if you wanted to get started in it? I'm totally not a cowboy...but I think it looks like tons of fun. ;)

Coachgun67
03-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Same with me! I think a shotgun (built in pre1900 style ) a lever action rifle and a pair of single action revolvers is the bare minimum.So,CAS guys chime in,i want to get started,too

coastal,you might want to check this out...it's about 10 pages,but some stuff is quite well explained : h ttp://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

coastal
03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Cool thanks! I will read that tonight. ;) Like any sport I imagine, you can buy cheap stuff, but the pros will suggest just buying the good stuff to begin with...So I would love to know the range of gear from stay away from to get this one.

jwirecom109
03-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Coach you can hotlink on GOC

Coachgun67
04-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Coach you can hotlink on GOC

Thanks jwire... another reason why I like it here better.Now I need to work on being myself again without the overcaution and always being alert of getting whacked next.:tounge:

BrotherRockeye
04-02-2013, 02:12 AM
That's funny right there...I don't care who you are ;D

bcboarder
05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
From previous reading it seems most guys will buy Uberti 73's due to the availability of upgrade kits. Some people have suggested using a Stoeger uplander over the coach gun because the longer barrels make it easier to operate the action. Again this is just what I've managed to put together from my reading

Strewth
05-28-2013, 09:25 AM
^ A range member was kind enough to let me shoot his slicked up Uberti...wow. My dad has a Winchester, and I've got a Marlin lever, but that Uberti was....very quick. The price was really not that bad if that's the top competition rifle.

Have you talked to Peter at Rusty Woods? He's probably got some ideas...

Canadian Redneck
06-11-2013, 09:05 PM
I shoot Uberti Cattleman 45 colt pistols and Uberti 72 lever... my shotgun is a stoger coach....... love the uberti's... not crazy about the stoger.

Satain
06-12-2013, 02:18 PM
SASS Member's can join up here:
http://www.sassnet.com/
My stupid gun club POCO refused me when I tried to start this up there and called me all types of names that I ain't allowed to be mentioned here.
And know who I want to beat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1BwUJ4--Qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzCnymSugQ

rustywoodtc
07-01-2013, 10:05 PM
check here for SASS cowboy Action rules http://sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php

I will be happy to answer any specific questions on guns and equipment that you have if you email me.
Peter
aka Rusty Wood SASS # 50427 ROII Sass Canadian Championship past match director and range master

rustywoodtc
07-01-2013, 10:15 PM
HANDGUNS
You will find the Ruger New Vaquero will be the better competive choice for cowboy action as it almost indestructible for this sport. Most buy with 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrels with full action job.
Other option is UBERTI or PIETTA copies of Colt SAA 1873 with action jobs same bbl lengths.
If you have deep pockets and want to shoot THE gun then any original COLT will be the ticket once it is tuned to perfection.
Other options could be Schofields, cap&ball revolvers etc just depends on what you ant to do - play or win and then in what class you wish to shoot ( see rule book )

RIFLES
Here again best competitive rifle will be a fully tuned and short stroked Uberti Winchester 1873 replica which will run you about $2K. This will typically be a 20" barrel version.
Options include a Marlin 1894, replica Winchester 1892 - stay away from trapper models that only take 9 rounds as most stages require 10 rounds. Winchester 94 isnot competitive but will work if you want to play

SHOTGUNS
Here the Winchester 1897 pump/slide action or copies is king once slicked up and cut to 20".
Options include a SXS tuned like a STOEGER Coachgun. If you can find them, a BROWNING SS or SKB are great but hard to find now as they are long out of production

rustywoodtc
07-01-2013, 10:24 PM
AMMUNITION / CALIBERS for cowboy action
OK much debate here but IMHO 38 SPL with 120 to 130 gr RNFP (round nose flat point cast bullets so you can use in rifles also ) loaded to around 700 to 750 f.p.s. is your best competitive choice.

MUST rules:
The projectiles MUST be cast lead ONLY- no semi-jacketed or jacketed ammo STRICTLY VERBOTEN
The projectiles MUST not exceed 1000 feet per second from handguns and 1400 f.p.s. from rifles
We are shooting steel targets and they cost money so we like to keep them from perforations thank you

CALIBERS
Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38-40, .44-40, .44 Special, .44
Magnum, and .45 Colt. The only allowed exceptions are the .25-20 and .56-50. No rifle calibers such as .30-30 or .38-55 are allowed.

I highly recommend using same caliber for both handguns and rifle as it simplifies loading and re-loading. But you can use all different calibers to start of for fun/choice.

rustywoodtc
07-01-2013, 10:35 PM
ACTION JOBS
Ok you have to decide how you wish to proceed here. Do you want to compete seriously or just go out and have some fun or a mix of both.

If you want to have lots of fun and not compete seriously then go and make some smoke, join a great group of folks and socialize and shoot with them then take up what you have ( see above list ) or buy new/used and come out to the Mission Red Mountain Renegades shoots (http://www.rustywood.ca/rmr/rmr.html) and observe, ask questions and learn.

If you want to complete seriously you will eventually NEED action jobs all all guns. Nothing comes "race ready" out of the box. That's where I come in, I specialize in tuning these cowboy guns to be the smoothest and fastest they can be. see above link to my web site for dates, pictures and shoot results.

I highly suggest anyone interested in this sport come out to our monthly matches and see what it is about, what we use as guns and even try some ( if you ask real nice like) and then decide what options you have and which way you want to go. Ask questions at the shoot most of us are happy to answer them and explain options.

coastal
07-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Holy my thread came to life!

Thanks for all the info Peter.

Those videos on page 1 are insane! Bob Munden is unreal.

rustywoodtc
07-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Coastal,
Sorry I did not see this thread earlier.
Bob Munden sadly passed away not long ago, but if you want to see the next generation of top guns in cowboy check out Rattlesnake Ranger. This kid blows them all away if you think how old he is and the potential he has http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rattlesnake%20wrangler&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4CG 8-r1GZaw&ei=QPHSUfDPL-inigLIhIHABw&usg=AFQjCNFi8NWB6pv9nYbbV1x5OR4bYLtsRQ&bvm=bv.48705608,d.cGE

You need to watch & think about what that video is - 24 shots from four different guns in several positions all done without a miss in 10 seconds.
Take note you "wanna be gangsters" and "weekend camo clad warriors" this is shooting ! :-)

Coastal, I hope that you make it out to one of our shoots and I can meet and assist you in joining our sport.

coastal
07-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Coastal,
Sorry I did not see this thread earlier.
Bob Munden sadly passed away not long ago, but if you want to see the next generation of top guns in cowboy check out Rattlesnake Ranger. This kid blows them all away if you think how old he is and the potential he has http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rattlesnake%20wrangler&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4CG 8-r1GZaw&ei=QPHSUfDPL-inigLIhIHABw&usg=AFQjCNFi8NWB6pv9nYbbV1x5OR4bYLtsRQ&bvm=bv.48705608,d.cGE

You need to watch & think about what that video is - 24 shots from four different guns in several positions all done without a miss in 10 seconds.
Take note you "wanna be gangsters" and "weekend camo clad warriors" this is shooting ! :-)

Coastal, I hope that you make it out to one of our shoots and I can meet and assist you in joining our sport.

WOW! That kid is amazing! My wife is popping out kid number 2 any day now....so I will try to make it out later this summer once things have settled down. ;)

Coachgun67
07-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Just watched it...thanks rusty. N O W I'm feeling old! :tounge:

CG

Nine Toe Jim
08-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Howdy, I just found this forum and thought I'd put in my two cents worth (oops no more pennies so we have to round that down to nothing I guess). I've been in SASS since 1988 (SASS-678) and I'm one of those guys that is in it for the fun shooting and fellowship. I bought and Uberti 1866 Gabriel Dumont Commemorative 44-40 rife in 1986 and it's still my match rifle. I still shoot it as it was out of the box except for replacement of two leaf springs on either side of the elevator with wire ones. The gun is well worn in. I've been through a number of revolvers and shotguns but have ended up with two Uberti opentops in 45 Schofield or 45 SW. My shotgun is a Norinco 1887 lever action. I may have handicapped myself but I try to shoot the old guns as they were in those bygone days. Anyway I've had fun 25 years or so in SASS and recommend it to anyone looking for fun and new friends.

NTJ

coastal
08-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for that Jim!

webster
11-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Good info in this thread, thanks guys. I've been drooling over the Uberti SAA clones lately and this isn't helping me keep the ol' wallet shut tight.

BCRider
12-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Coastal, you be sure to come out to one of our monthly meets. We'll strap on a rig and walk you through a stage. Same offer goes out to anyone else as well. It's simply what good cowboy shooters do!

Webster, I'm not going to help much I'm afraid. Uberti makes a superb gun. And the three that I've got, contrary to Rusty Wood on the last page, do not need any sort of trigger job at all. They've all got triggers that are delightfully light and crisp.

A big thing with the fixed sights on the SAA style guns is that you need to find an ammo load that shoots to the POA. With the 45Colt guns this should not be a big deal. But if you buy one chambered in the .357Mag you're going to find that the guns shoot pretty low with pretty much any ammo. That's because they use the same front sight blade on the whole lineup near as I can tell. And with the bore of the cylinder and barrel being smaller the guns are heavier and don't kick as high. So they end up shooting low.

The fix is to get the front sight filed down and dressed back to shape to suit your shooting style and ammo loads. So first off you need to figure out the proper hold and decide if you're going to shoot one or two handed. Then you need to decide on what ammo you're going to use. In my case to keep down the cost for bullets by a couple of bucks per box I went with reloading a medium speed .38Spl round that uses 130gn LRNFP boolits. I also chose a long time back to shoot one handed since that is how Clint, Clayton and John did it in the old cowboy shows.... :D Each choice does make a difference to the point of impact so if at all in doubt don't get the front blade filed down TOO much until you're sure of all the choices and proper holding method. Leave it a little tall and just aim high to get your hits until you're 100% sure of your choices. THEN get it dressed down that last little bit and go for the bullseye shots.

By the way, not to take anything away from Peter's posts on the last page but a lot of us that don't want to get all serious and like to spread our play money around to other areas as well as cowboy action manage pretty well with Winchester 92's or clones. I'm using a slicked up Rossi that I've finally worked out almost all the bugs. It's still not as fast as a nicely done 1873 but I've only got about 1/3 the cost invested in that rifle. Similarly my shotgun is an older Baikal.

Mind you all this would still have run me a pretty bit of coin if I'd had to pay for the work. But as a long time metal worker/newbie gunsmith I did the work myself. It takes longer since I'm learning as I go and the rifle work took me about a half dozen visits to the insides of the gun to finally get it all done as I learned new tricks. But for me tinkering around like this is half the fun.