PDA

View Full Version : What oil to use?

Reeferman
04-07-2013, 08:19 PM
I just got a GSG 1911-22 and put 300 mini mags through it with no problems. What would be the best to use on it as this is the first handgun for me. I have been told to use just oil on the slide as well as just a grease.

blacksmithden
04-07-2013, 08:33 PM
I've been using 32 weight hydraulic oil on my guns for years and I've never had the slightest problem (unless I didn't clean them for a year or more :) )

You can go buy the expensive stuff that's sold by the gram in the gun store, or go with the unscented stuff that I use that's $67 for a 20 liter pail.

YukonLeftie
04-07-2013, 08:49 PM
My dad uses a form of 3 in 1 oil for his high end upholstery sewing machines; i think he also uses it for his rifles with no issue. Not cheap stuff; but if it keeps $8000 high precision machines working well; I would suspect it also works fine for firearms. Ill ask him next time I talk to him exactly what it is.

saskgunowner
04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Back when I owned one, I just ran it with oil, or a squirt here and there of Rem oil for best performance. Grease (in my experience, cause I love the stuff!) is just too heavy for the GSG to function well. It may have been the cooler temps, but I believe a light oil is best for these pistols.

Coachgun67
04-08-2013, 07:01 PM
0w 40 synthetic or even better ATF (automatic transmission fluid),because it does not gum up when cold and ATF even has cleaning agents within,that keeps the dirt in the fluid,not on the metal.Bonus...cheap and everywhere to get.

Reeferman
04-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Back when I owned one, I just ran it with oil, or a squirt here and there of Rem oil for best performance. Grease (in my experience, cause I love the stuff!) is just too heavy for the GSG to function well. It may have been the cooler temps, but I believe a light oil is best for these pistols.

Thanks for the reply. I just wasn't sure if the slide would work well with oil or a light coat of synthetic grease. I guess will try both and see which works better.