PDA

View Full Version : Brains? Eyes? Intestines? Heart? Liver?

Otokiak
04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Im' curious if anyone eats the brains or the eyes or the intestines or heart or liver of your animals you catch as I know some folks do with certain animals they catch or fisherman?

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

Drache
04-18-2012, 12:52 PM
My stepmother always requests the heart and liver of anything I get.

superbrad
04-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I eat the heart of all of my deer... either stuffed or diced and mixed in with ground pork and rabbit in a pie.... I slice the liver and cook it and feed it to my dog....

Daveg01
04-18-2012, 01:17 PM
I eat deer and moose hearts. Don't like liver and while I'm sure the rest of the guts taste great, I'm just not trying it. If I was living in a post-SHTF world sure I would but for now I'll stick to just the hearts.

mlehto
04-18-2012, 01:52 PM
My father in law asked me this recently as I just convinced him to get his PAL and Hunting license.

I am curious to know the answers from everyone here.

He is a big liver fan, so if deer liver is anything like cow, he would love it.

superbrad
04-18-2012, 02:09 PM
It is good liver.... I don't eat it as liver is very high in cholesterol and that is a family histroy thing for me.... but fresh deer liver with bacon and onions is very very good

jwirecom109
04-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Use to eat moose and deer heart, but its been awhile since I've done it

Canuck
04-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Some years ago now I was presented with some raw camel liver while wandering the Goulimine desert in Morroco. They didn't get a lot of visitors back then so it was a "guest of honor" kind of thing. Most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. Was just happy I kept it down and didn't offend anyone. Apparently it was a local delicacy. Otherwise great people (and food) Beautiful country.

Deer or moose liver is fine though (cooked!).

BuckingFastard
04-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Heart and liver for sure, my mushum used to say if you left a heart and dogs(wolves, yotes) ate it it brought on bad luck for future harvests.

BrotherRockeye
04-18-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm ok with heart and tongue etc. being muscles.
I don't eat liver and such...no filters in my diet!

blacksmithden
04-18-2012, 11:21 PM
Some years ago now I was presented with some raw camel liver while wandering the Goulimine desert in Morroco. They didn't get a lot of visitors back then so it was a "guest of honor" kind of thing. Most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. Was just happy I kept it down and didn't offend anyone. Apparently it was a local delicacy. Otherwise great people (and food) Beautiful country.

Deer or moose liver is fine though (cooked!).

That's funny. Last year, I was wandering the Goulimine desert in Morroco. I came across some locals who told me a story about how, as a joke, they gave this foreigner some camel liver. They told him that it was to take the stink out of his boots. They were laughing so hard, they could barely finish the story, but they got across that the guy ate it instead! ROFL !!!!

As for me, no...I don't eat organ meat at all. I'm sure I would if I was starving.....but I ain't starving yet. :)

Looky
04-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Moose liver is great with onions around the camp fire.
Never tried the fisherman.

Canuck
04-18-2012, 11:54 PM
That's funny. Last year, I was wandering the Goulimine desert in Morroco. I came across some locals who told me a story about how, as a joke, they gave this foreigner some camel liver. They told him that it was to take the stink out of his boots. They were laughing so hard, they could barely finish the story, but they got across that the guy ate it instead! ROFL !!!!

As for me, no...I don't eat organ meat at all. I'm sure I would if I was starving.....but I ain't starving yet. :)

Obviously you haven't smelled raw camel liver. It would hardly take the stink out of anything let alone my, errrr someone's boots (sandals actually). BTW, they ate it too! B#####d!!!!! (Funny guy LOL) :p

Rory McCanuck
04-19-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't eat the brains, but they work well for tanning the hides.

50calshooter
04-20-2012, 10:43 AM
I am both disturbed and intrigued by this thread. lol

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty new to the hunting game. Just never grew up in a hunting family. I've been out a couple times with friends and relatives, but I am yet to bag anything. The reason being, I want my first animal to be mount worthy, I don't just want to shoot anything for my first one.. Part of that reasoning is I'm an animal lover, again not going to lie, it will be kind of hard on me emotionally when I eventually take down a large living animal. BUT, I do respect the ideals of a true hunter and will do my best to keep, eat and freeze as much as I can without waste. The other part to wanting a trophy for my first kill is just to have the bragging rights, In my mind my first kill has to be earned.... Although at the pace I'm going this may take a few more years.. lol

When I do eventually come across a worthy opponent, I'm sure the animals to follow will get easier and easier to take down, mentally. It's funny cause I'm not a city slicker, I grew up in the bush, but for some reason, I get sensitive towards taking down a large animal... Mother nature keeps messing with my mind, lol

I know I know, harden the f**k up.... lol ya ya I'm working on it... lol Buckingfastard will get me there I'm sure of it.

Canuck
04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I am both disturbed and intrigued by this thread. lol

When I do eventually come across a worthy opponent, I'm sure the animals to follow will get easier and easier to take down, mentally. It's funny cause I'm not a city slicker, I grew up in the bush, but for some reason, I get sensitive towards taking down a large animal... Mother nature keeps messing with my mind, lol

I know I know, harden the f**k up.... lol ya ya I'm working on it... lol Buckingfastard will get me there I'm sure of it.

If it's any consolation, I love the hunt, the stalk, the chase but after the shot is fired and that animal is down- there is always that moment of regret out of respect for that animal. I don't think I am completely alone on that.

Otokiak
04-20-2012, 12:32 PM
I've eaten tuktu(caribou) brains as had friends boil up the whole head, the heart and liver too. I've eaten seal intestines. I used to pop fish eyes like candy as a kid. I'll be honest and say not alot of that happens now as I tend to just love eating a good tuktu roast or tenderloin. There isn't much I wouldn't try though as everything is different and could wind up being awfully tastey! ;)

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

p.s. I usually thank the animal as it's going to feed myself and friends/family ... I never regret taking it's life as it's giving back to us! ;)

superbrad
04-20-2012, 03:02 PM
[/B]

If it's any consolation, I love the hunt, the stalk, the chase but after the shot is fired and that animal is down- there is always that moment of regret out of respect for that animal. I don't think I am completely alone on that.

That's the most important of the hunt.... the moment you connect with your prey..... celebration always comes after remorse when hunting....

50cal..... you live anywhere near me?.... I think a goose hunt would give you a good exciting start....

joe-nwt
04-20-2012, 03:17 PM
I've always said "There's enough good parts on the animal without eating the guts." I do save the hearts for people that I know that enjoy them, the rest I leave as a sacrifice to the hunting gods.;)

50calshooter
04-20-2012, 04:20 PM
That's the most important of the hunt.... the moment you connect with your prey..... celebration always comes after remorse when hunting....

50cal..... you live anywhere near me?.... I think a goose hunt would give you a good exciting start....

I'm in the Red Deer area... what about you?

superbrad
04-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Nowhere near... Ontario....lol... but come on down as you wish....lol...

Seriously though...a good way to break yourself in on the hunt is a good waterfowl trip... you will be hooked....

If you take those geese and you make them into sausages or jerky you will soon see what the real trophy is..... and it doesn't have horns....

I do hear you though... I have 2 deer tags every year now and I always fill the freezer with the first legal animal I see.... the second is reserved for a trophy.... I have shot 21 deer in my life (I used to hunt with a gang) and to thi sday I still feel remorse and connection standing over an animal who's given up it's life so my family can have many a good meal....

Quite frankly, the trophy thing helps extend my season and gets me out in the bush....

RobSmith
04-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Whatever part is edible, I eat. A buddy of mine is a sucker for raw fish liver, wolves them down as soon as the critter gets gutted. As for the "remorse" part of thing, pulling the trigger is never easy, you just rationalize it by telling yourself that the reward is worth it.

Canuck
04-21-2012, 01:11 PM
My wife spent some time around Buffalo Narrows, Sask. She says that a good spring tonic was Sucker head soup. Only in the spring though, before they started to taste muddy.

Otokiak
05-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't eat the brains, but they work well for tanning the hides.

Rory, interesting comment ... can you elaborate on the tanning process?

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

BruceW
05-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Have a friend in California who does a lot of that, also makes original style bows, arrows, spears. He claims every animal alive has a brain of a suitable size to tan it's own hide. (his description).

Far as the original question, if the liver looks good it's been known to hit the pan while it's still steaming. :) Haven't found a good way to cook heart or tongue. Not adverse to head cheese, but the closest I've come to other inards would be hotdogs.

RobSmith
05-03-2012, 03:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VkCsgKU85A This is the sort of thing he'd be talking about.

awndray
05-03-2012, 03:25 PM
I think a goose hunt would give you a good exciting start....
I'm in a similar boat as 50calshooter. Though I didn't grow up in the bush, I find myself in the same predicament as far as our beloved furry friends go. A good friend of mine is an avid hunter, but he's on Freedom 35 (living off his wife's pay cheque) in Sudbury and doesn't hunt in the NCR. I've been thinking of trying out bird hunting as entry into hunting.

If it's alright with you, maybe some day I could tag along? I figure goose or partridge would be a good way to start, but I know nothing about hunting. I need to look into a hunting course.

50calshooter
05-03-2012, 06:07 PM
That was an interesting vid...

superbrad
05-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm in a similar boat as 50calshooter. Though I didn't grow up in the bush, I find myself in the same predicament as far as our beloved furry friends go. A good friend of mine is an avid hunter, but he's on Freedom 35 (living off his wife's pay cheque) in Sudbury and doesn't hunt in the NCR. I've been thinking of trying out bird hunting as entry into hunting.

If it's alright with you, maybe some day I could tag along? I figure goose or partridge would be a good way to start, but I know nothing about hunting. I need to look into a hunting course.

Absolutely... if you are in the downtown Ottawa core you are within 45 minutes of me.... a good waterfowl hunt can show you some excitement, remorse and provide you with some good meat and a better understanding of the hunter prey relationship...... keep me on PM speeddial...

awndray
10-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I finally managed to find some time to look into this further. I'm doing the hunter education course this weekend. I was going to get the wild turkey DVD too, but I think I'll just start with the basics and tackle that in the spring.

JustBen
10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Can't believe I missed this thread. Eyes, brains, intestines - nope. Heart? I honestly don't remember the last time I shot a big game animal that didn't completely destroy the heart, but I enjoy beef heart and would readily cook deer, moose, elk, or antelope heart. And I really don't like liver, but I know people who do, so often I'll save it for someone (if it didn't get destroyed).

blacksmithden
10-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Meat - good......gut pile - leave it for the crows. Nope...no organ meat for this guy.

Haywire1
10-11-2012, 06:41 PM
liver? the liver job is to filter out the crap that is unhealthy, like i told my mother, thats its job, and you want me to eat a liver thats full of the crap that a cows body thinks is unhealthy?lol

muckwa
10-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I use moose heart for walleye fishing during the summer. Cut it into lengths to look like a leach, works like magic. I also enjoy dinning on liver from moose, deer, cow, etc... I love the stuff. Never tried brains or intestines but if I knew a cookum that made that stuff then for sure I would be in for a taste.

Otokiak
10-23-2012, 12:14 PM
I forgot all about this thread muckwa ... HAHA ... I love all the replies. Cheers GOC,

Otokiak
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

Canuck
10-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Don't know what to do with the brain if you don't have a hide to tan? Here's a recipe for brain sandwiches: Bet you can't eat just one!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/9206/cowbrainburger.jpg

BRAIN SANDWICHES

1 set of deer or moose brains
1 qt. water
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. lemon rind
1/2 c. milk
2 stiffly beaten egg whites
Lard for deep frying

Soak in cold acidulated water (1 quart water and 1 tablespoon vinegar) for about 3 hours. Skin them and soak in lukewarm water to free them from all traces of blood.Then as they are rather mushy in texture, firm them by again blanching in acidulated water to cover for about 20 minutes. (Do not boil.)
Dry them and pull into small pieces.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Beat egg yolks and blend dry ingredients into them. Beat in 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 teaspoon lemon rind (optional) and 1/2 cup milk. Beat until stiff but not dry, 2 egg whites. Fold them into the batter. Add the brains. Drop into hot fat (lard) and fry until golden on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
Serve on bun with pickle and onion and mustard.

RASALOM
07-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Moose & deer heart for me. Cut into 1/2" to 1" thick strips, roll in flour or cornmeal, a little garlic powder/salt/pepper fry it up in butter, mmmm.
Liver, not for me, hate the stuff. In NWOntario at least, there's a recommendation to send a sample of the liver to the MNR, to test for Cadmium. The sample kits can be picked up at the local MNR office and the test is free. Takes about 2 weeks for results. Haven't heard of any tests coming back with a "do not eat" warning.

Laramie Longhorn
07-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Heart, tongue and liver. Sometimes kidneys. I was always taught to inspect the organs for signs of disease. One time a buddy shot a buck, and when we sliced open the heart, it was full of worms. Almost lost my breakfast. Needless to say, that heart got left in the bush.
And grouse / ptarmagan (sp?) hearts are really tasty. They take no time to fry and have a ton of flavour.

Back on the farm, my favorite time was butchering time. I'd always eat fresh beef liver for lunch after we did an animal.

YukonLeftie
07-24-2013, 10:06 PM
[/B]

Regret if the animal suffered at all; but simply thanking it for the food. But no, I cant say Ive eaten the organs from any of the game Ive yet harvested.

Although, I will admit to being guilty to traumatizing my little sister with severed fish heads.... ooohhh man, does that get violent fast... :bananna:

hercster
07-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Hunting isn't for me. I'm not against it and I think most hunters are very responsible people. I just sat here in my RV and watched several rabbits and squirrels do their thing. They have already given me enough for the day. :-)

However I do love to eat and earned that trait honestly. Liver and kidney were both treats as a child when food of any sort was treated with respect. We weren't poor by my standards but nothing was wasted and we often ate what was cheap. We ate pork hocks and lamb shanks and a real treat was a piece of brisket. Nothing is cheap anymore. Have you checked the prices of chicken wings lately?

I'm more than a bit of a "foodie" and like the way professional chefs are taught to respect the animals we eat. I've also learned to like what was commonly rejected and left for the poor. I spend my winters in Texas and enjoy some of the meat cuts used in traditional Mexican foods. As with many people in the "peasant" class, they learned to use what the dominant groups left for them. So shank meats, organs and so on are carefully prepared into inexpensive dishes that are wonderful and nutritious too.

I would take a hunters offering of heart or liver in a heart beat. (pun intended) As a food buyer for a few years I had the opportunity to tour a number of meat processing plants. I still eat hot dogs and sausage but remember well watching them being made. Liver is a Rolls Royce meat by comparison. :-)