PDA

View Full Version : How can there be love for the Remington 770?

Drache
04-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Seriously?! There are people who LOVE the Remington 770s. I held one and had to wash my hands afterwards. It's the worst thing that Remington has ever produced. The local gunstore here and in Quesnel both refuse to sell Remington 770 rifles due to the amount of problems.

I actually had a kid who states the 770 is one of the best guns ever made and would actually put it up against any Savage rifle I own at 200-300 yards. Now I may be wrong but there is no way a Remington 770 is going to compete against a Savage 10 FCP at 200-300 yards.

stevesummit
04-23-2013, 05:41 PM
I agree 100%

lone-wolf
04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
And civics are the fasted cars on the road.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
04-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Agreed. Hate em.

BrotherRockeye
04-23-2013, 06:28 PM
The only thing you should ever form an opinion on just by holding it is a woman ;D

I shared the same opinion on the 770 till I learned better.
Say what you will about them, my neighbors son has a 770 in 7mm..camo stainless.
It's a real shooter. He has taken Elk to coyotes with it and some long range coyotes at that.
I was so impressed with it that I bought one for a backup. Same thing, camo stainless. It shoots too.
Now granted I went with a 3200 instead of a Leupold, but I have a polished bolt in mine, and for the price and performance I can stand the fugly trigger guard.
The reason there is love for them, is because people that actually own and fire them, appreciate them.
Count me as one.
They are exactly what they were intended to be, a reliable and accurate entry level rifle...

Drache
04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
They are exactly what they were intended to be, a reliable and accurate entry level rifle...

Reliable does not belong in the same sentence with 770. They are lemons. We've had 5 or 6 that have been total failures just in the two ranges I'm a member of. I've heard of multiple stores that refuse to sell them. Our local store refused to carry than anymore because out of 10 he brought in, 4 had to go back to Remington before they even were placed on the shelves to sell.

Things like right out of the box the triggers won't even work, bolts that don't even close properly (can't push bolt handle down), bolts that don't secure properly, bolts that won't open properly, and those that even got out of the boxes and could actually fired, firing pins that sheered off within the first box of ammo.

Here is a video from a guy showing the the 770 he bought his son is dangerous. The bolt comes clean out even though it's supposed to be locked in and the trigger isn't pulled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_0vcrNXNvM

RobSmith
04-23-2013, 06:41 PM
My cousin (ex CF sniper) swears by his ... It's much lighter than anything I own, and the camo stock is kinda cheezy to me, but I'll take his word for it.

Drache
04-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Afterwards he went to extract the spent shell and load another round and the bolt had locked up and the bolt handle broke right off the bolt body. Nice clean break.

Ive sent 3 back already with that same problem since our hunting season opened in NY

I'll start out by saying I know the 770 is a poorly made rifle. That being said, I have encountered one issue with the rifle that really does bother me. It has trouble cycling rounds from the detachable magazine. The tip of the bullet actually hits the lip at the end of the (feed ramp?) and becomes wedged between this and the bolt.

I had the exact same problem with mine. Eventually decided to just feed them manually into the chamber one at a time. Mine was .308

To begin with, the stock is made out of plastic and the sling swivel attachment on the forend broke off when we attempted to attached a bipod.

Last year i got a Rem model 770 7mm rifle. Learned that it was the same rifle that was firing on its own but the problem was fixed

when I have pulled the bolt back to extract the casing, the bolt hangs up. If the clip is out- no problems. This morning I loaded it with spent rounds, same results, hooked first casing in the clip. When I checked that casing I can see and feel a notch on the neck of the casing. I checked the live rounds that were last loaded, I could see a scrape and fresh brass on the cartridge. Upon removing the clip and observing the bolt as it is pulled back I saw where one of the locking lugs on the bolt is centered directly above where the clip sets

People are mostly describing the bolt being difficult, if not near impossible to open just after firing a round. I've seen this happen with several.

I've seen them that won't chamber a round to begin with.

This list goes on! Should I also mention that you supposedly can't replace the barrel on a Remington 770? A gunsmith told me they don't come off. So if something happens to your barrel you're SOL...

YukonLeftie
04-23-2013, 07:34 PM
I've never held one myself, so I can't say - aside of a lot of net talk with issues new rems have seemingly across the board.

BrotherRockeye
04-23-2013, 08:04 PM
I guess me an the neighbors kid got 2 of the good ones then. We're 100% in this neck of the woods.

I personally have nothing bad to say about them!

Just to clarify... "in my experience" they are exactly what they were intended to be, a reliable and accurate entry level rifle...

M.T. Chambers
04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I have no experience with those guns, but Remington makes great factory barrels and have always been known for accuracy.

JustBen
04-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Some people also have love for the Savage Axis. :pot:

enerflex
04-24-2013, 06:46 AM
I have a 770 in .243... bought it from a kid for $100 unfired because the "web experts" told him it wasnt safe to use. It isnt a pretty gun by any stretch (plain black plastic) but it shoots well, is light to carry, is accurate and has had zero problems (only about a 100 rounds through it so far) It certianly takes coyotes and will be taking ground hogs this summer and I dont care if it falls in the mud or gets scratched in the brush ... (does plastic scratch?)

Basically it is like buying a farm pick up, you use it for what it was meant for and dont expect it to perform like a sport sedan.

Drache
04-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Some people also have love for the Savage Axis. :pot:

That's because the Savage Axis isn't known to throw bolts back into people's faces :p

BrotherRockeye
04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
so Drache, you had problems with your 770 did you?

Drache
04-24-2013, 09:41 AM
so Drache, you had problems with your 770 did you?

Never bought one, I made sure to do my homework before picking a rifle. I also talked to the people that own/owned one. Had a lot of friends who did and every single one was sorry. So yes I've had first hand experience with the problems on the 770.

BrotherRockeye
04-24-2013, 12:20 PM
just wondering... what was your motivation for starting this thread if you never made the mistake of buying a crappy ol' 770?

Drache
04-24-2013, 12:46 PM
just wondering... what was your motivation for starting this thread if you never made the mistake of buying a crappy ol' 770?

Cause a person asked me about the Remington 770 and I flat out told him all the problems known about the rifle. Then had two people start beeking off to me about their love for the 770 and how it could out perform any rifle I've owned and didn't know what I was talking about and how they are the best rifle for that price, etc.

Just wondering how there can be so much love for a rifle that is not only made more cheaply and junkier than a Norinco but with a chance to maim the shooter for life.

JustBen
04-24-2013, 01:09 PM
That's because the Savage Axis isn't known to throw bolts back into people's faces :p

Interesting. I've never heard that one before. I googled it and couldn't find any references to the problem either.

M.T. Chambers
04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Cause a person asked me about the Remington 770 and I flat out told him all the problems known about the rifle. Then had two people start beeking off to me about their love for the 770 and how it could out perform any rifle I've owned and didn't know what I was talking about and how they are the best rifle for that price, etc.

Just wondering how there can be so much love for a rifle that is not only made more cheaply and junkier than a Norinco but with a chance to maim the shooter for life.
I'm thinking that the 770 would be more accurate then the Norinco, even if you didn't aim the Remington....

Drache
04-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Interesting. I've never heard that one before. I googled it and couldn't find any references to the problem either.

Notice the tongue in cheek smiley? I was kidding... It hasn't happened... yet. The 770 has a massive fatal flaw. Some it happens right out of the box and others it happens over time. But the Bolt Release button gets screwy allowing the bolt to come straight out as seen in the video I posted. This is the greatest reasons 770s are returned to Remington. Add to that there have been reports of bolts not locking properly and that the bolt handles are silver soldered onto the bolt (ie really easy to break off)... all it takes it one rifle to have all three known issues happen at the same time and you'll get a bolt to the face.

I'm thinking that the 770 would be more accurate then the Norinco, even if you didn't aim the Remington....

Accuracy sure, Remington knows to to make a barrel (which is confirmed, you can't replace the barrel on the 770). But I'd trust the quality of a Norinco over that of any 770....

As my gunsmith puts it... Remington 770... the only rifle worse than a Remington 710 :p

BrotherRockeye
04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
how it could out perform any rifle I've owned and didn't know what I was talking about and how they are the best rifle for that price, etc.

I'd have called BS too!

Best rifle at that price point is clearly the Marlin X7 series imo...if it only had a box mag to lose it would have the market cornered...

As my gunsmith puts it... Remington 770... the only rifle worse than a Remington 710 :p

and a might uglier thanks to the trigger guard too.

That said the two stainless models I've had first hand experience with have been exactly what Remington wanted them ALL to be...and I got a free hard case and 2 boxes of ammo with mine :shoot2:

moose
07-29-2013, 09:58 PM
I guess me an the neighbors kid got 2 of the good ones then. We're 100% in this neck of the woods.

I personally have nothing bad to say about them!

Just to clarify... "in my experience" they are exactly what they were intended to be, a reliable and accurate entry level rifle...
exactly there fine guns for someone who takes them out once or twice a season to take a deer or something. as a starter rifle i dont have a problem ( because of price) but the bolt is my only complaint on them. if i was shooting regularly i wouldn't touch one though IMO