PDA

View Full Version : .303 with Iron sight this fall

Gomgat
06-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Anyone else taking a 303 with irons out for deer this fall?

Strewth
06-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Hmmm, now that you mention it, we're heading out to a short range area for opening day...maybe I will, this year would be a first with a .303.

YukonLeftie
06-21-2013, 01:38 AM
I had bought a 1916 N1M3 .303 with Irons here a couple months ago (slide type sights, not the thread up type, and sporterized), and Night before last I went to the local Canadian Rangers shoot to see how she handled up against the Rangers. Much to my shock and disgust, I scored a grand total of 7 out of I think 100? I forget what it was that was max; but needless to say my performance was abysmal. So, tonight I made a point of taking the .303 and finding out WTF went on -- I found that the forward sight was out to lunch and I was shooting well over 2' left of center at 100 yards (I also learned that the slide type sights shoot 6" high at 100 yards when bottomed out). Yeaaaa not letting THAT happen again - The forward sight was knocked a solid 1/4" off center. after fixing that little cockup, I was making 6" groups with minimal issue from the table. Now that that is sorted, she's an option should I need it.

normmus
06-21-2013, 02:36 PM
I usually use my No4. I probably will again, this year. I have taken three deer with it so far.

Gomgat
06-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Just spend 2 hours with a file on the new fore stock for my SMLE sporter, she's gonna be a beaut!
I have a great load for it using IMR 4895 but ran out, and can't find any in Calgary so I need to get started on working up a load with Varget.
Plan on taking several deer with it this fall, my first deer with Irons

DEWEY
06-22-2013, 02:32 AM
Very interesting approach to making deer hunting more of a challenge and also keeping a proud Canadian tradition alive and functioning.

I took my first deer, a medium 3-point (Western count) Whitetail buck, in early December, of 1964, aged 18. This, was in the "Lardeau" area of BC's West Kootenays and the rifle was a 1917 Lee-Enfield cut down with C.I.L 180 gr. "Sabre Tip" bullets. It was a load from a neighbour and was a bit "rough" in condition.

I went on to become an extreme "gun nut", have owned over 150 guns since that time and most were big game bolt rifles, including many highend ones, an Al Beisen P-64 Fwt. .270Win, in the "J'OC" style, my Dakota 76-.338WM customized by Martini Gunmakers and on and on and on. At present, I am five days short of 67 and have been selling off my rather large collection, yet, I still have 35 centerfire rifles,from .220Swift to .375H&H and most are customs with highend synthetic stocks and all the "bells and whistles".

Yet, in all honesty, very specifically for "meat" DEER hunting, an old Lee-Enfield, sporterized well by someone who knows how to do it and with any commercial "cup and core" bullet from 174-215 grs, I suspect that the Australian Woodleighs, are perhaps the best of the lot and are "bonded", I doubt that ANY of my treasured rifles is ANY better. If, one wants a scope and I usually do in BC's mixed terrain and especially in the dark bush at dawn and dusk for a much better sight picture, it is easy to install a 2.5-4x whatever, I tend to prefer Leupolds here and nothing will REALLY work ANY better.

For some hunting, BC's coastal islands, for example, such a rifle/cartridge combo is actually "better" in many ways than some of the highend custom rigs that we spend our $$$$ on and the tough old warrior will resist weather and bashing in tough country like very few commercial sporters will. Yup, I think I "need" one last .303 and one of those early '60s Parker-Hale conversions of the later No. 1-Mark 4s would be a lot of fun to play with and also to hunt late season deer.

M.T. Chambers
06-22-2013, 11:44 AM
I'll take out my Winchester '95 .303 British out after deer this fall, I need to find a good cast bullet load for it, magazine length is kinda limiting though. The orig. style side mounted peep sight makes it very accurate and shootable.

DEWEY
06-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Is yours one of the original Lyman adjustable sights, quite large in area over much of the left side of the action? I can't recall the model number for these, but, they were "THE" sight to have on Mod. 94s, 95s, 86s and I imagine one would fit a Model 71.

There is an outfit in the eastern US now making exact replicas of this sight and a fine Mod. 95, I prefer the original "Saddle Carbine" with the handguard, etc, fitted with one of these and a "Sourdough" front in .303 with 215 Woodleighs has to be a fine bush rig and lots of fun to shoot.

M.T. Chambers
06-23-2013, 12:28 PM
The sight on my '95 Win. .303 br. is the Providence Tool reproduction, and the barrel is a Douglas Premium replacement, I re-did the wood on it, when I got it, it was worn out, now it's a beaut.

DEWEY
06-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Sounds like one to treasure and enjoy using for a lifetime, I really enjoy building customs on old, salvaged "donnors". Mine are all on P-64-70, Brno 21/22 and ZG-47 actions and a couple on the older, steel bottom metal, HVA actions plus a new acquisition, an "ultralight sheep rifle", a 7-08 on a Remmy STS Mod. 7.

I would definitely love to build a few, a .45-70, .348Win, .303Brit. and maybe a .50AK on various lever actions, were I younger, but, since I am not, I now just drool over what guys like you are doing and enjoy all of my bolt rifles.

Are you shooting Woodleighs, seems they are THE .303 bullet to have if one is shooting Moosies and Elks, eh?

M.T. Chambers
06-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't want to steal this thread but I use only cast bullets because most of my guns are big, older cals., for the .303 I'm using a 240 gr cast bullet at just over 2000 fps.