PDA

View Full Version : Magnum small rifle primers + .223? newbie needs help.

lone-wolf
06-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Local gun shop sold me some magnum small rifle primers (cci 450)
They said they'll work fine for reloading the .223, just need a second opinion from you guys.

Loads with also include varget powder + 55gr & 60gr vmax bullets.

NorCalDustin
06-29-2013, 09:41 AM
I've done it with large rifle primers... But you have to start really REALLY low and work up... You load data basically becomes worthless.

So with 308 for example... Using H414 and 180gr projectiles you would start around 44-46gr... I believe I started at 34gr and worked up to 39.something....

I'm not sure I would do it with 223 and if I did I would use a chrono, start EXTREMELY low, be extra careful.

lone-wolf
06-29-2013, 10:28 AM
I think I'll see if I can trade them for some standard primers, I only have a couple hundred magnum primers, and I rather not work up a load for them, then have to do another load for the standard primers I have.

blacksmithden
06-29-2013, 05:32 PM
I can't speak specifically about 223, but I can about 300 win mag, 30-30, and 44 rem mag. I've used large pistol primers in rifle rounds...magnum rifle primers in pistol rounds, large pistol primers in 30-30, and large rifle in 44 mag.....you get the idea. I've never noticed a difference. If you have the correct primers, go ahead and use them. If you don't have exactly the right ones, don't lose sleep over it.

NorCalDustin
06-30-2013, 03:05 AM
I think I'll see if I can trade them for some standard primers, I only have a couple hundred magnum primers, and I rather not work up a load for them, then have to do another load for the standard primers I have.

Fair enough... i generally feel the same and dont bother unless i have at least 1k.

Still, with the right load you can easily shave of a couple cents per round. Just something to think about..