PDA

View Full Version : Lee Enfield Sight Upgrade?

FlyingHigh
07-01-2013, 10:24 AM
I've got a sporterized Lee Enfield that I'd like to upgrade the sights on. I would love fiber optics but I have no idea if they make such a thing and to make matters worse, I don't even know exactly which model I have. The gun markings say SMLE III. The rear right is on the barrel, not the receiver.

Any suggestoins?

YukonLeftie
07-01-2013, 04:34 PM
FlyingHigh -If you could post a pic, I could at least help you ID the SMLE. Past that? Not much I can say to help. Why are you looking to change them though?

FlyingHigh
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I want to change the sights because I find the currents ones hard to see, especially against a dark backdrop.

Stole this picture from Google, but mine is pretty much identical.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/02/12/303204_01_enfield_1917_smle_mk_iii_sport_640.jpg

jfred
07-01-2013, 06:04 PM
One of my M38 Swedes just has the front blade painted white.

lone-wolf
07-01-2013, 06:21 PM
no1 mrk3 smle

Pretty sure the only sight upgrade that can be done is custom.

Strewth
07-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Pick up a spare front blade and poke at it with a drill press? Install FO, profit?

FlyingHigh
07-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Not a bad idea Strewth.

If that fails, I may just try painting them.

Smellie
12-15-2013, 12:35 PM
I just got a tiny little bottle of that "Liquid Paper" correcting fluid and painted the back end of the sight blade with that.

I used the "Goldenrod" colour: bright orangey-yellow, stands out against anything. Good for low light levels.

Works fine and, if you want to restore the rifle, its scrubs off with a thumbnail.

What does it say on the right side of the BUTT SOCKET on your SMLE? That's where the factory codes and date were.

YukonLeftie
12-15-2013, 01:03 PM
I just got a tiny little bottle of that "Liquid Paper" correcting fluid and painted the back end of the sight blade with that.

I used the "Goldenrod" colour: bright orangey-yellow, stands out against anything. Good for low light levels.

Works fine and, if you want to restore the rifle, its scrubs off with a thumbnail.

What does it say on the right side of the BUTT SOCKET on your SMLE? That's where the factory codes and date were.

Uhm... not to sound dense but could you specify on what you mean by 'butt socket' as in where this is?

Rory McCanuck
12-15-2013, 01:07 PM
The band of steel at the wrist, just behind the trigger.