PDA

View Full Version : XDm holster options

Shorty
07-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey guys,
I have recently received my first "battle belt" (High Ground quick release waist belt with assault strap) and am wondering what to do with my pistol. On belt, just below or a drop leg?

I have looked at the G-Code stuff. It looks good. The RTI system seems pretty solid.
I am not really interested in Serpas. Reading about NDs because of the retention system, doesn't inspire confidence in me (I am a fairly new shooter with little - no holster experience).

Are level I holsters acceptable in training courses? I haven't attended one yet. I don't want to buy a level I when typically level II is required.

Any other holster companies to check out? XDm (4.5") holsters are not that easy to find.

Jot notes:
- What holster position is best for general range duty and the odd "tactical" course?
- Holster recommendations?
- Level I or II?
- Which mounting system?

I had a hard time deciding if this belonged in this forum or in the pistol forum. Sorry if I chose wrong.

Thanks for your time guys!

Skoal 24/7
07-07-2013, 07:30 AM
What about the holster your gun came with?

Shorty
07-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't mind using that. However the holster and paddle are one piece. I not sure how I could wear it with a big belt.

Skoal 24/7
07-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Ah gotcha google soley canadian he makes awesome custom kydex holsters I have one for my beretta and its the best kydex holster ive used.
Dont use a drop leg unless your running a plate carrier,from what ive seen the xdm market up here is small have you allso checked out raven concealment or bravo concealment?

Shorty
07-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Haven't checked any you mentioned. Will do now. Thank you. The few companies I have looked at don't seem to offer holsters for the XDm (or even the XD for that matter).

If I go the custom route, how do I go about securing the holster to my MOLLE belt? Or maybe that's part if the custom holster.

Thanks again!

Satain
07-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Safriland or BladeTech are the only 2 companies that make holsters for this firearm on a regular bases. I prefer level 1 retention or no retention as we do not use this for duty gear. The advantages in going with BladeTech is that they can customize and make the holster just how you like it and ship to Canada. Safriland has a set list and you have to hunt for hens teeth to find the right one in stock but they are by far the best of the best in my opinion.
As for selecting a waist or drop leg I choose it like this.
Is this for 3 gun completions?
Is this for handgun drills?
For the first one I go for drop leg if I choose the second I go for traditional waist carry. Although Safriland does make a low rider version of the waist carry that I do prefer for the "battle belt rigs" that people like to use. I tried this set-up once for 3 gun but in the end I went back to the vest/belt set-up as I found that my waist was to cluttered up with crap and nothing was were I needed it and in turn costed me way to much time. Either that or it was a great excuse for me sucking so bad :p

exmilitary
07-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Safariland holsters are nice. Pistol retention is great yet smooth when drawing from it. Great for transitions. Had the chance to try out a thigh rig with a Glock setup. Very slick.

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Pro Patria

Shorty
07-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys. I was leaning towards a waist carry all along. This (for now) is just for range. I do plan on getting into some competition at some point though.

I will check out safari land. Thanks.