PDA

View Full Version : Self pinning 30 rnd magazines

davejohansen
07-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Looked around and didn't see any existed threads. I have no problem shopping local (Canadian) but a deal is a deal. Just got back from a shopping trip in Great Falls, Mt. Was touring around Scheels Sports and came across a massive display of 30 rnd AR15 mags on sale both metal and polymer priced down to $9 a mag. Question is can a person self pin the mags or does it need to be done by the manufacturer. I would have no problem bringing my drill and rivet gun on my next trip if this can be done by the end user. Also tried finding info online on what the ATF would allow a Canadian to purchase and bring back. Any leads?

Dave

lone-wolf
07-07-2013, 07:50 PM
A pinned magazine, is a pinned magazine, no matter who did it.
My only concern would be US export policies, someone else will have to chime in on that.

bjs7293
07-07-2013, 08:20 PM
If they are pinned to the letter of Canadian law, Canadian border services don't care just declare them and pay your taxes if any. Now the US official would have a different take on it for sure.

blacksmithden
07-07-2013, 10:12 PM
According to the RC's, as long as it was pinned before it entered the country, it's legal. Like the other guys have said...it's the US export laws that get you. Trust me on this....you can NOT legally bring those mags out of the US without submitting the paperwork to the US government, and then you get to wait at best, a few weeks, at worst, indefinitely, for them to issue you the export paperwork. Technically, you should get the paperwork to import them into Canada as well (yes, there is a form for this) but getting that from our government isn't a big deal. I've never heard of anyone except firearms businesses bothering with it.

Fusilier
07-08-2013, 03:22 AM
Magazines are controlled for export out of the US under their ITAR regs. Only a US licensed exporter can export them, regardless of the price. If you are not a US citizen, you cannot get an export license so they mags would have to be exported by someone who'll likely charge you a reasonable fee, blowing away any savings the original retail price offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlockGuy
07-08-2013, 08:56 AM
I've brought mags in from the USA. Customs warned me before they checked them that if any of them were illegal I would be arrested & charged on the spot, no excuses accepted.

Fusilier
07-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Yep you can bring them into Canada. You CANNOT legally bring them out of the US.

Fusilier
07-08-2013, 10:15 AM
You can bring them into Canada. You CANNOT legally bring them out if the US.

Fusilier
07-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Sorry for the double post.

RobSmith
07-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Bottom line is, unless you try bring these in in large lots of say, 50pcs at a time it's just not worth the paperwork on both sides of the border, plus the time to pin them etc... I'm not even sure that as a "alien" you can even be in possession of one of those things on the US side of the border to begin with.

davejohansen
07-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the input guys, can't get over how such a small part can cause such a headache. I recently read that the was an exemption of $100 which has ( or will be) raised to $500 where a license is not required. Would that not apply for these?

Dave

blacksmithden
07-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the input guys, can't get over how such a small part can cause such a headache. I recently read that the was an exemption of $100 which has ( or will be) raised to $500 where a license is not required. Would that not apply for these?

Dave

I was just thinking the same thing. I'll be going to my wife's relatives place next summer for sure if I can actually bring back something worth while.

Fusilier
07-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Dave

The $100 (now $500) 'exemption' DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU AND ME. It only applies to licensed exporters - people and companies who already have their export licenses with the US Dept of State and the US Dept of Commerce.

There is no legal way for a Canadian to legally export firearm parts out of the US because we cannot get am export license (which costs in the thousands) because we are not American citizens.

blacksmithden
07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
The $100 (now $500) 'exemption' DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU AND ME. It only applies to licensed exporters - people and companies who already have their export licenses with the US Dept of State and the US Dept of Commerce.

There is no legal way for a Canadian to legally export firearm parts out of the US because we cannot get am export license (which costs in the thousands) because we are not American citizens.

I don't know about that. I've had firearm parts shipped from Brownells that were under the $100 limit without any problems, or paperwork/extra fees. If you were over the $100 limit, they wanted $250 or 3% of your order, which ever was greater, in order to do the export permits.

Fusilier
07-14-2013, 06:14 PM
I don't know about that. I've had firearm parts shipped from Brownells that were under the $100 limit without any problems, or paperwork/extra fees. If you were over the $100 limit, they wanted $250 or 3% of your order, which ever was greater, in order to do the export permits.

Exactly.

Brownells already has their export license.

Every firearm part shipment also needs its own, additional license (kind of like how we need our PAL and then each restricted firearm needs its own registration card) for export. Now if the shipment is worth less than the limit $100 (soon to be $500) then the exporter does not need the shipment specific license, but they still need their overall export license.

Now if the parts shipment contains certain named parts (barrels, frames, receivers, cylinders) then the licensed exporter will have to get a shipment specific license, no matter what the cost of the shipment. So of you ordered a $25 barrel from a licensed exporter, then you and they will still have to sort out all the additional paperwork, even though the cost is only $25 and even though they already have their export license.