PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Corndogs

lanaire
07-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Since I havent taken the kids anywhere really this summer I have been digging deep to try to find some of those really cool childhood treats for them-- the memory maker kind of suppers right??

well tonight we had these

http://life-as-a-lofthouse.blogspot.ca/2013/05/homemade-corn-dogs.html

gotta admit-- they were pretty freakin awesome! no where near as pretty as in the pictures, but the recipe is solid-- worked for me with lots of cornbread mix leftover. I am not sure what I want to do with it just yet, might toss it into the fridge at the very least and bake it later??

finished up the supper with some pepsi floats, mine was the more adult version with some Kahlua added in :pot: YUMM-o

now, just to find a good mini donut recipe and I think we can avoid the carnival stuff forever and just stay home! ahaha

(and if I make them again I promise to take pictures. they were honestly gone way to fast for me to even get one photo!! kids ate them all, it was amazing ahaha)

Candychikita
07-19-2013, 05:03 PM
looks like i'm picking up some cornmeal on my way home. thanks :D these'll will get inhaled...i can tell already i'm going to have to do the "hindlick" maneuver on someone

lanaire
07-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Make sure you are busy cooking them so you are not tempting to eat them right out of the pan!! after burning my mouth and throat on the pretzels I am way more careful! ahaha

my kids ate four each. in minutes. I stood there shocked. this is the exact reason I dont make homemade cabbage rolls or perogies anymore!! sometimes not worth the effort after seeing them eat so quickly!! (these on the other hand DID cook up quickly!! took longer for the oil to heat up than it did to mix the batter and cook a dozen of them I swear...)

Rory McCanuck
07-19-2013, 05:20 PM
The corn dogs look delicious, and without the industrial ingredients of factory made.
Not Pepsi, but a root beer float? Oh, I'm 8 y.o. all over again!

road kill
07-19-2013, 09:14 PM
You guys are killing me, my new diet doesn't like corndogs and floats. Have a nice salad, shut the front door i say.

Asphalt Cowboy
07-21-2013, 02:23 PM
gonna have to try the corn dogs ! those look super easy to build :la:

Candychikita
07-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Make sure you are busy cooking them so you are not tempting to eat them right out of the pan!! after burning my mouth and throat on the pretzels I am way more careful! ahaha

my kids ate four each. in minutes. I stood there shocked. this is the exact reason I dont make homemade cabbage rolls or perogies anymore!! sometimes not worth the effort after seeing them eat so quickly!! (these on the other hand DID cook up quickly!! took longer for the oil to heat up than it did to mix the batter and cook a dozen of them I swear...)

if you think homemade perogies go fast, try blackberry varenyky. i swear people eat them raw.

excellent recipe :D

lanaire
07-22-2013, 10:05 AM
if you think homemade perogies go fast, try blackberry varenyky. i swear people eat them raw.

excellent recipe :D

oh snap. just googled for that recipe--- I am going to have to make those for sure. and then buy an elliptical or else hunting season is going to be brutal

Candychikita
07-22-2013, 03:10 PM
oh snap. just googled for that recipe--- I am going to have to make those for sure. and then buy an elliptical or else hunting season is going to be brutal

fry them with a little bit of butter and little bit of sugar in the pan instead of other seasonings...and screw that sour cream noise. serve it with whipped or ice cream. or both. you can sprinkle with icing sugar too. if you want total sugar overdose in the morning, serve them instead of waffles/french toast with maple syrup.

i'm always thankful i can only pick so many blackberries. and yes, some form of exercise is necessary.

lanaire
07-22-2013, 04:16 PM
I miss blackberries. they just dont grow here! sad really, I grew up with them growing like weeds, and now I pay four or five bucks for a cup of tasteless blackberries from the store....

Candychikita
07-23-2013, 12:00 PM
last night the crew was begging for these corndogs again. i snapped a pic...mine look nothing like the recipe picture but they are damn tasty. made three packages of hotdogs and cut them in half and we seriously have 4 corndoglets left over (we shared with the neighbours too though...in exchange for cookies)

thanks again for this recipe :D

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p721/candychikita/photo4_zpse4b70c28.jpg?t=1374602184

lanaire
07-23-2013, 12:31 PM
that was what mine looked like too--- have no idea how she got hers looking so nice in the pictures..... mine were more burnt too since I wasnt paying attention ahaha

never thought of cutting them in half. I will have to do that next time!

Rory McCanuck
07-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Hmm cut in half, more surface area for batter.
Candy, yer a genius! ;D

jonanddad
07-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Hum... I think I will have to try this in a few weeks as yesterday I must have had at least 3 days worth of fat and calories when I was at K-Days

Candychikita
07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Hmm cut in half, more surface area for batter.
Candy, yer a genius! ;D

seriously this recipe made just enough batter for all those hot dogs when they were cut in half. had to scrape the last bits out of the bowl for the last few.