PDA

View Full Version : Rifle sling suggestions

JustBen
07-31-2013, 08:52 PM
So, all I have left to finish my rifle is a sling. I recently came into possession of a new remington 700 in 270. Ironically, I'd been working on my 1963 remington 700 in 270, and I'd just finished getting all the part together for the build. Bell and Carlson stock. Hinged floor plate. Burris illuminated reticle scope. Instead of going on the old rifle, they are currently sitting on the new rifle.

I'll post some pics this weekend... Hopefully at the range.

But what would be the best sling for a hunting rifle? I'm looking to keep it light weight if possible, because it will be used for some long hikes and maybe even extended trips into the back country. I e almost always used a cheap butler creek before, but I really like the 1907 style i purchased for my M14. What do you use?

Rory McCanuck
07-31-2013, 09:59 PM
I recently came into possession of a new remington 700 in 270
That's right buddy, rub it in. :tounge:
I've always just used the cheapest nylon with a pad type slings, but recently picked up an old, wide leather one for my Swede.
I'm amazed at how different and more comfortable it is. I'm looking forward to taking it for some long hikes this fall.
The Mauser isn't light, but with the width, and the spring in the leather, it sure seems comfortable so far.

Looking forward to those pics ;D

Strewth
07-31-2013, 10:23 PM
:pI wish I got to come into the possession of a brand new Rem 700!:) Pics.....
I'm in exactly the same space as Rory, I had Butler Creek padded straps on my hunting rifles...the ones with the silicone nubs to keep them on your shoulder? Worked just fine, but this year I picked up a wide leather sling for my Tikka, and so far I like it better, but I haven't taken it for a walk yet.
I've never seen a proper sling that looked comfortable to shoulder all day, I hope someone chimes in with one...I've got a 1907 sling that I've never even really broken in because I bought a nylon padded one that was more comfy...although now I've got a new backpack that my slings appear to ride better on, always playing with gear....

Satain
07-31-2013, 11:15 PM
Might have something that fits that build with the features that you like about the hasty sling or the traditional 1907 style sling but would need to see if it will match your rig first.

Halfton
08-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I love these 1" leather slings...they are fully adjustable with just a pull on one side of them...Tight tto the rifle when walking in the carry postion..open it up to shoulder it and open more to wrap your arm through it to add to a more stable firing position from standing or a kneeling type shot.
http://www.huntsling.com/

Jim

Strewth
08-02-2013, 08:52 AM
^Very interesting, might have to get one of these as well, thanks for the heads up.

Mikthaniel
08-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Absolutely agree, best type of sling I've ever used.

BrotherRockeye
08-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I prefer the old school "cobra" slings for irons with heft or for a long carry.

VancouverSkiBum
08-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I make my own slings out of whatever materials I have. Will post pics later.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
08-02-2013, 05:42 PM

I am envisioning red Tuck tape and fibreglass drywall tape... Oh wait that would be me

BrotherRockeye
08-02-2013, 06:32 PM

done that myself...my 99A 250Sav has a matching sling and butt stock cartridge holder ;D

Looky
08-02-2013, 10:57 PM
I've been using ones with the thumb loop.
Seems to give another option when walking.

peterf
08-04-2013, 06:44 PM
I'll put in another vote for the wide leather cobra slings. I have them on all of my rifles now.