PDA

View Full Version : Gear List. What do you take for your trips into the back country?

Steve704
08-22-2013, 08:11 AM
All my gear ready for an overnight up Mt.Arrowsmith this weekend. My pack weighed in at 38.4lbs with 5 liters of water included.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/Stevejanes704/919985_10153150185575564_1646775453_o_zps2e3901ee. jpg

What's on board:
- Full Camelbak bladder (3L) for drinking water
- 2 Nalgene Bottles, 1L of cooking water, 1L of Gatorade
- Sleeping bag
- Therma-rest
- Bivvy Sac
- 5x8ft Sil-Tarp
- Stove and Gas
- Water Filtration pump
- 8mm repelling rope (20M)
- Harness and ATC
- Gore-tex Jacket and Pants
- Insulated Jacket
- Long sleeve shirt and spare socks
- Knife
- Flash Light and Head lamp
- Spare Batts
- IFAK/First aid kit w/whistle
- Hat, Toque, Gloves
- Collapsing Ski Pole
- Phone/Camera
- 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner, 1 Breakfast, Electrolyte powder, assorted snacks
- Bog roll, Bug juice, toothbrush & toothpaste

What other items do you consider essential for your trips into the back country?

Strewth
08-22-2013, 09:41 AM
On my belt I carry a...I think it's some sort of IFAK pouch? inside of which is: cut down surplus steel cup stuffed with a half roll of duct tape, inside of which I have a candle, lighter, matches, compass, zap straps, wire, paracord, couple tylenol w/codeine, couple dressings+pads, iodine tablets, nails, mirror, emergency blanket, chocolate, oxo cubes, tea bags, swiss army knife, film canister full of dryer lint...some other stuff, I'll be looking before hunting season...also two large garbage bags, all inside a large freezer Ziploc. It's pretty cool what you can fit in the middle of a roll of duct tape, and neat to drop the bagged tape into a steel cup; doesn't weigh too much either....hmmm, I should weigh it. I've used it to overnight with in conjunction with my hatchet, and felt quite comfortable.

Edit: with two pair of socks stuffed in the pouch as well. Mmmmm dry socks.

Steve704
08-22-2013, 12:47 PM
In the IFAK/Aid Kit I have band aids, some gauze, roll of grip tape for tensor bandage, blister band aids, pain killers, batteries, tweezers, lighter, small knife, fire tinder, fire wand/flint, sewing kit, small amount of duct tape, tenacious tape for patching ripped tarps and jackets, and I may be forgetting a few things but I think that about does it.

I don't carry an extra meal, but I have 4-5 clif bars in my pack somewhere also, on the trip I will eat maybe one of them, so the extra energy bars and spare snacks (trail mix, granola bars, chocolate bars, powergel), which if you know me there is always lots of, become my spare food. I always return home with enough to food to have lasted through at least a 24hr emergency day/night in the bush. Much longer if rationing.

Something I forgot to mention that I always carry with me (Strewth mentioned it above), is Garbage bags, and ziplock baggies, you can never be in the back country without at least one garbage bag and a couple spare ziplocks, for garbage and food items that cannot be put back in their package once opened.

TV-PressPass
08-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Oooo. I want to make one of these photos now!

Steve704
08-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Oooo. I want to make one of these photos now!

lol

JustBen
08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm interested in this thread... since moving to the mountains, there's no doubt that my hunting style is going to have to change.

Satain
08-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Bug repellant, aspirin, benadryl and pepto. Plus a mirror and or a radio.
Other than that I think you are gtg ;)

Marcelm
08-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Definitely +1 on a radio, especially if you hit the bush solo

FlyingHigh
08-24-2013, 10:22 AM
For me, it really depends on the trip. I carry different stuff if I'm hiking, hunting, fly fishing, exploring etc. Sometimes I want to pack light so I can move fast and cover lots of ground. Sometimes, I plan to pretty much stay in one general area and can pack heavier.

Today's trip is going to be a backcountry fly fishing excursion with a possibility of a sudden change of plans. I've packed accordingly and as such will be able to fish a lot of water and bushwhack easily if need be.

In my Badlands Super Day pack I carry:

1. First aid kit, tailored to my needs.
2. Stanley brand stainless steel pot with nesting cup. Inside I have some tinder, a lighter, coffee grounds and tea bag.
3. Packable rain shell
4. Bear spray (I won't be carrying a gun, since they're too heavy and awkward to allow mobility while fly fishing and moving along the river)
5. Sweatshirt
6. Plastic canteen (I use this instead of a water bottle as it fits nicely into the outer pocket of my pack)
7. 4 piece 5 weight fly rod
8. Reel loaded with floating line, spare spool with fast sink line
9. Fly box with flies
10. Hemostats and clippers
11. Digital camera
12. ESEE 4 knife (Kydex sheath is mounted to waistbelt of pack.
13. Leader wallet
14. Fly floatant
15. Spools of tippet material; monofilament and fluorocarbon
16. Strike indicators
17. Ultralight spinning rod as back up
18. Box of lures for spinning rod.

Not pictured are the Garmin Rhino 530 GPS unit that has an FRS/GMRS radio, the Backroad Mapbooks that I keep in the truck and the survival kit which is currently in my truck as well.

The spinning rod will stay under the backseat unless it's needed.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/Steeliestalker/20130824_101007_zps4905445a.jpg

Redbearded1
01-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Cool thread. My brothers and I have been trying for a few years, to scale back our gear to essentials. Something lighter that we can use for backwoods camping way back in the woods. Usually beer and smokes win out over other essentials though.

walperstyle
01-21-2014, 12:05 AM
Had a video on my YouTube channel some time ago. I Cary too much stuff.

harbl_the_cat
01-21-2014, 09:12 AM
My folks just smuggled across a surplus US ALICE pack with frame. It's a large pack and it's HUGE.

I have to work up a load for it, if I can ever find the time...

I see why a lot of guys in the CF preferred the ALICE frame to the 82 pattern ruck frame back when I was in. I think the lower back support on the 82 is a bit better, but the ALICE frame sure seems a heck of a lot sturdier.

Stephen
01-21-2014, 07:11 PM
my cell phone, spyderco endura and a water bottle...

FlyingHigh
01-21-2014, 08:04 PM
my cell phone, spyderco endura and a water bottle...

So you never leave the city then? ;)

Satain
01-21-2014, 09:01 PM
He probably thought that we were talking about the "concrete jungle".
LOL!!!
:p

walperstyle
01-23-2014, 03:23 AM
A good cell plan (not Rogers) works in the Rockies...sorta.

I have a solar charger for my iPhone as it has 'the British SAS survival' app. ...the stupid thing is I also carry 12 lbs of textbooks. Yeah, poor planning for a backpack.

Need to restructure a daypack vs week pack, vs auto pack.

harbl_the_cat
01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Anyone have experience and advice for packing an ALICE pack?

Seems like a lot of the standard CF practices with the 82 pattern ruck would apply - although it's pretty cool it has compartments for M16 mags.

Stephen
01-24-2014, 11:12 PM

lol, I have went over 7 months without going in to town.

Satain
01-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Anyone have experience and advice for packing an ALICE pack?

Seems like a lot of the standard CF practices with the 82 pattern ruck would apply - although it's pretty cool it has compartments for M16 mags.
MAybe some of our Vets could chime in on this but then again most vets never followed protocol when packing the ruck sack for multi day excursion any ways.

FightingShiba's
02-02-2014, 03:29 AM
What pack is that?

All my gear ready for an overnight up Mt.Arrowsmith this weekend. My pack weighed in at 38.4lbs with 5 liters of water included.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/Stevejanes704/919985_10153150185575564_1646775453_o_zps2e3901ee. jpg

What's on board:
- Sleeping bag
- Therma-rest
- Bivvy Sac
- 5x8ft Sil-Tarp
- Stove and Gas
- Water Filtration pump
- Harness and ATC
- Insulated Jacket
- Knife
- Spare Batts
- Hat, Toque, Gloves
- Collapsing Ski Pole
- Phone/Camera

What other items do you consider essential for your trips into the back country?

Smokechecker
02-02-2014, 09:19 AM

What's on board:
- Sleeping bag
- Therma-rest
- Bivvy Sac
- 5x8ft Sil-Tarp
- Stove and Gas
- Water Filtration pump
- Harness and ATC
- Insulated Jacket
- Knife
- Spare Batts
- Hat, Toque, Gloves
- Collapsing Ski Pole
- Phone/Camera

That MSR stove. Is it the Dragonfly or the Whisper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk