PDA

View Full Version : Scope advice

Brad
09-23-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm looking for some advice on a new scope. I have an old 7mm Rem Mag that I use for hunting and I want to put a scope on it. I would like to get a 3x9 power and something that work well in low light. What do you guys recommend?

Strewth
09-23-2013, 10:57 AM
:)How many moneys of yours do we get to spend?
Off the cuff, IMO, YMMV, I'd say Burris FFII for a practical hunting minimum and upwards? I have two Burris...es? (Burris' ? Burrises...Burri? Burrisi?) and I've hunted them both, one very hard (poor thing) and they've held up no problem to cold, wet, banged around, jiggled on quads on rocky ground, and they're quite adequate for seeing game back in the darkness of the treeline at dusk? But I'm limited for distance out here, both by the environment, and by my ability. I don't know how far you guys shoot in N.S.?
If possible for you, get thee to the store to play with samples, peering under overhangs outside the store in low light to see how they work for you and your eyes?
Leupold is the traditional easy answer in North America as well? I've only got a 4x from them though, wonderful scope, but I'm not asking much from the design; my Bushnell fixed 10x is very crisp and clear as well (although not as much eye relief), IMO because it's a simple fixed scope.

Mikthaniel
09-23-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't know about how well it will hold up, but my buddy just got a 7mm Rem. Mag. that came with a Weaver 3-9x scope that is SUPER clear and has wide open eye relief. It's definitely not going to break any bank other than a piggy bank.

Like I said, we don't know yet about how well it will take a magnum's kick but it is NICE to look through...

BrotherRockeye
09-23-2013, 12:02 PM
it's all about budget.
If you want to get away cheap topping the ol 7mm as opposed to spending a pile, your options change considerably.
If you want $100 scope to fill the bill look at a Banner. Wide field of view, good in low light and hold up well to recoil in my experience.
...for $200 or $300 your options get better.

Rory McCanuck
09-23-2013, 12:10 PM
I did a little comparison between the Vortex Crossfire II $170http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/scopes/centerfire-rifle-scopes/crossfire-ii/prod26979.html
and the Redfield Revolution $250http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/scopes/centerfire-rifle-scopes/revolution/prod293528.html
Both were 2-7x.
This was a highly scientific low light test. Well, ok, I looked into a dark corner of the store. There was a noticeable difference in brightness, although both were quite clear. I remarked on the difference, and the salesman asked if I thought the difference was worth $100.
I have to admit, I'm not sure it is.

There is a host of very good scopes out there. I think the real criteria is how much you want to spend.
I know many folks that have regretted buying a cheap scope, myself included, but I don't know of anyone that regrets having bought a scope that was too good.

Mikthaniel
09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
I know many folks that have regretted buying a cheap scope, myself included, but I don't know of anyone that regrets having bought a scope that was too good.

:agree:

Brad
09-23-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't know how far you guys shoot in N.S.?
I hunt bush, fields and a couple clear cuts. My longest shot on a deer was 130 yards (Paced it off so give or take a few). 200 yards would be a long shot for me.

$200 or $300 your options get better

That's about my price range. My biggest head ace is the closest thing to an outfitter around me is Canadian Tire and the clerk would blow a gasket if I started taking scopes out of the boxes.

Recoil is a bit of a concern, the old girl will bark pretty good.

Thanks for the advice now I have a good starting point

Strewth
09-23-2013, 02:55 PM
My biggest head ace is the closest thing to an outfitter around me is Canadian Tire and the clerk would blow a gasket if I started taking scopes out of the boxes.

Ask if you could leave your wallet with them or something? No display models to look through? I think if you made a bit of a fuss, you could get a scope to look through, how else are you supposed to know what you're buying? Or...it's CT, keep your receipt, and keep taking them back until you get the one you want...

JustBen
09-23-2013, 04:44 PM
In your price range, I'd suggest the Bushnell 3200 or whatever they call it these days.

5.56 Medic
09-23-2013, 06:05 PM
My son and I bought Vortex Diamondback 3-9x50 scopes with the BDC (bullet drop compensator) reticle. Mine is on a 30-06 and his is on a 300 WM, they are great. He just got a mountain goat at 400 yards with it. We got them at Italian Sporting Goods for $259 each. Great deal for what you get, in my opinion.

Satain
09-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Zeiss conquest 3-9 for less than $500 after taxes and shipping best scope in it's price range.

BrotherRockeye
09-24-2013, 08:09 AM
in your price range you have 3 good choices, in my experience having owned all of them.
Leupold vx1
Bushnell 3200
Burris FF2
There are likely more but those are my suggestions for the $ you have to spend.

Brad
09-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I had a chance to look at a few and I really like the Leupold and Redfield. There was a used Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm for sale and I bought it. It should be here in a couple weeks, still lots of time before rifle season.

Rory McCanuck
09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Leupold sure seems to be the easy answer.
Getting a lightly used one at a reasonable price is even better! ;D

Strewth
09-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Nice! Good score. Now on to rings, bases, flip caps....lol.

BrotherRockeye
09-26-2013, 03:10 PM
can't go wrong goin Loopy!

superglide
10-07-2013, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=Rory McCanuck;90436]I did a little comparison between the Vortex Crossfire II $170http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/scopes/centerfire-rifle-scopes/crossfire-ii/prod26979.html
and the Redfield Revolution $250http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/scopes/centerfire-rifle-scopes/revolution/prod293528.html

What Rory McCanuck said. A friend of mine has the vortex and loves it, and I can vouch for the Redfield Revolution, I have a 3x9x40 on my 308 and a 2x7x33 on my 30-30. The Redfield Revolution are the same as some of the older Leupold VX2's. Both Scopes are made in the states and have great warranty's, that said I don't know of anyone who has had to use the warranty as these are both very well made scopes. Also with regards to light gathering the Redfield Revolution also comes in a 3x9x50, but you will need higher rings perhaps. I shot my last deer at first light and have no complaints with the light gathering capabilities of the Redfield Revolution. As a side note I have shot many high dollar scopes, nightforce, Leupold, and Schmit and Bender to name a few, so as far a a good hunting scope goes you will be happy with either the Redfield or the Vo

BrotherRockeye
10-07-2013, 01:04 PM
He already bought a Leupold...

superglide
10-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Oops, I thought the thread was only a single page, loopy good choice!

tuffteddyb
10-08-2013, 11:48 AM
hope he has better luck with leupolds than i did.
would of went with a 3200 or a burris first.