PDA

View Full Version : Barrel fouling in 17HMR

Shrike
09-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Does any of you know what the barrel fouling rate is in the 17 HMR?
I used to own long ago a 17 Remington. The fouling was horrific, barrel needed to be cleaned every 35 rounds, by round 30 the pressures were rapidly flattening primers far beyond what they were in the first couple of shots.
For that reason I regarded the 17 series as nothing but head ache.
Of course the HMR version burns far less powder and might work ok.
Would appreciate input from those who have shot a lot of rounds through theirs.

Prairie Dog
09-24-2013, 11:12 PM
I've got at least a couple hundred rounds through my 455 since it's last cleaning with no adverse effects to accuracy.

DOA
09-24-2013, 11:38 PM
I haven't noticed any issues, had it a couple years, close to 600 rounds by me. Not sure how many my pops put through it but he would have cleaned it well before anything could have built up

Mikthaniel
09-25-2013, 12:16 AM
I have a break barrel .17 hmr and even after 5 shots you can see crud in the barrel. The gophers don't seem to notice though and as it is a break barrel and such an easy thing to push a rod through I just swipe it out before I put it away... But yes, I would say it is a dirty round, no question...

YYCADM
10-04-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't know that it's all that bad. I have a Savage 93, and I regularly put 100-150 rds through it in an afternoon without any issues. I typically run a bore snake through it after a day at the range...generally one pass, followed by a single patch lightly saturated with solvent, then dry patches until clean...almost always 3 of them. You can see deposits in the barrel after 150 rds, but then you can seen about the same amount of crud in both my 10/22 and SR-22 with a couple of hundred rounds. It's not the cleanest, but it's a long way from being the worst.

Blindeyes
10-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah fouling is on the heavey side. I found when I had mine the fouling could be kinda chunky also.