PDA

View Full Version : Boyds stocks

Dragon8029
10-03-2013, 10:33 PM
I've been eyeing up the boyds stocks for a while now, and need some advice/opinions.
I have a Savage 111 in .270 win.
What are your thoughts or opinions on the thumb hole stocks?
Are they any good for hunting? Or would the classic be the preferred style?

Mikthaniel
10-04-2013, 12:55 AM
I just got one, put it on my Mossberg 100ATR .308...

I love it... I would check the fine print on the Savage 111 though as I believe that one isn't a straightforward swap like mine was. I think you need extra parts to deal with the moulded trigger guard... From their literature:

ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: This stock is designed for the Savage detachable box magazine rifle with top bolt release. The magazine release is located on the bottom of the floorplate. Not designed for old style side magazine release.

Due to the many variations of trigger guards that have beed used for Savage Actions. Boyds uses a flat bottom metal design. Fitting for plastic and some metal models may be needed or contact Savage or Brownells for the flat bottom design.

This stock is designed for the Savage Long Action Detachable Box Magazine rifles with top bolt release. The magazine release is located on the bottom of the floorplate.

These stocks are designed for the 3 piece design DBM parts as found on wood stocks. Some plastic stocked models will require you to purchase additional parts from Savage or Brownells. Not designed for old style side magazine release.

Mikthaniel
10-04-2013, 12:57 AM
One other note, how big are your hands?

I found that the trigger was JUST in reach for me, but I can palm a basketball...

My wife can't reach the trigger from the thumbhole positioning...

Mikthaniel
10-04-2013, 01:01 AM
http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?9756-My-Mossberg-100ATR-308

Dragon8029
10-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Thanks, that looks good. I've got good size hands so I don't think that will be a problem.
I don't need to worry about my wife as she won't shoot it anyways. :)

superglide
10-06-2013, 09:48 AM
For hunting I think you would be better served with the classic stock or the prairie hunter, where as the thumb hole stocks are a bit more geared toward a varmint style gun. I have a Boyds classic stock in nutmeg laminate on my marlin xs7 308win and love it, the extra weight takes a bit of the jump and recoil away. Also it takes an ordinary rifle and makes it look just beautiful, I get compliments on my old marlin all the time. Just my opinion but whatever stock you get I can assure you that you will be very pleased.

Dragon8029
10-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Thank you, that's what I've been trying to figure out. I've had the chance to handle a thumb hole style stock, but never shot one.
I just want a better stock than the Tupperware it currently has.

Mikthaniel
10-06-2013, 02:00 PM
I really like the change in wrist positioning with the thumbhole... I find I can get a much tighter, controlled grip (hand and shoulder) with the thumbhole... It just seems easier to snug into my shoulder, which helps with recoil, which helps with accuracy, which helps with more tasty meat!

Camo tung
10-06-2013, 03:29 PM
For hunting I think you would be better served with the classic stock or the prairie hunter, where as the thumb hole stocks are a bit more geared toward a varmint style gun. I have a Boyds classic stock in nutmeg laminate on my marlin xs7 308win and love it, the extra weight takes a bit of the jump and recoil away. Also it takes an ordinary rifle and makes it look just beautiful, I get compliments on my old marlin all the time. Just my opinion but whatever stock you get I can assure you that you will be very pleased.

I did the same, added a pepper laminate to a Ruger 77 in 7 MM to soften some the recoil (came to me in a Ram-line syth stock). Much more enjoyable to shoot now with a bit more weight.

tuffteddyb
10-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Got a few of them in thumbholes,wife has oneon her stevens 223 and she loves it.
I have one on my stevens 7 mag and like it so far,havent shot it too much.
Wife ordered one for her m77 ruger 25/06 and its in getting finished and inletted and pillar bedded.
She ordered it unfinished,we have a gentleman here who does a AMAZING jobs on them.
Thinking of ordering the heavy duty one for my savage long range hunter,but want to shoot it first to see if
I like it.
As for hunting purposes We seem to be able to hold them a lot more steady,and can snuggle them in way more sweetly.

Dragon8029
10-06-2013, 10:21 PM
You guys aren't helping make the decision easier. Lol! :)

Thanks for the advice.

tuffteddyb
10-08-2013, 11:04 PM
they a great stock and I wont hesitate to order nore.
Buy it you wont regret it.

Strewth
10-10-2013, 04:01 PM
One other note, how big are your hands?

I found that the trigger was JUST in reach for me, but I can palm a basketball...

My wife can't reach the trigger from the thumbhole positioning...

I agree with this, seems a large sized grip to trigger ratio on mine? But then mine's not on a Savage, so YMMV. Other than that I really like it, and now with the limit raised we can order checkering?

Canuck257
10-11-2013, 11:35 PM
I have three of them on Savage rifles, two thumbhole lightweight sporters and one thumbhole varmint. They are strong, attractive and well finished. I have average size hands and have had no problems reaching the trigger.

I spoke with Boyds on the phone today because their website still lists the export limit as $100. i tried to order a Tacticool stock but the site would not let me. I assumed it was because of the $100 limit (the Tacticool is $105) but they said no it was because the State Department restricted the export of that stock design but they did not know why. They will shortly be raising the limit for export on their web site to $500. In terms of value for money, they cannot be bettered.

Dragon8029
10-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

tuffteddyb
10-16-2013, 11:20 AM
so you buy one yet?what didyou get?

Dragon8029
10-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Not yet. Need to free up some disposable income first. :)

tuffteddyb
10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Its all disposablle....just some creditors get narrow minded,...lol

Canuck257
10-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Its all disposablle....just some creditors get narrow minded,...lol

Does Her Indoors know about this?

tuffteddyb
10-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Well of course she knows i just kinda dumb not really stoopid.
Called her about the latest purchase and she said why didnt you just buy it?
Damn I love this woman.

Mikthaniel
11-25-2013, 10:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Q5Aj7jp.jpg

Deer love it!

Dragon8029
11-25-2013, 10:18 PM
That's Awesome!
I was told I had to wait until after Christmas. So I've got my fingers crossed that one will be under the tree. If not I'm ordering one in the new year.

tuffteddyb
12-21-2013, 11:20 PM
So what did you get?you like it or no?

Dragon8029
12-22-2013, 08:00 AM
I haven't noticed anything under the tree that would be stock sized.
But there is still a couple more days.

Edenchef
12-22-2013, 12:07 PM
I haven't noticed anything under the tree that would be stock sized.
But there is still a couple more days.

Aaaaaah, but Santa hasn't been by yet. Have faith!

Cheers!

sniper58
12-23-2013, 09:50 AM
I have Boyds thumbhole stocks on my Stevens .243, my Rem 700 VTR .223, and my ruger 10/22 Target.
Ididn't have to make any changes to the ones on the Rem or Ruger I had to open the thumbhole a bit on the Stevens for my little "girly hands" to be able to comfortably reach the trigger.
I have 5 or 6 Boyds stocks, like them all
I timed it right one day and found a finished Remington 700 magnum-barrel contour stock in their clearance bin. Cost me $69.00. It showed up a week or 10 days later. Nicely checkered, Remington R-3 recoil pad, swivel studs installed already. It's currently living on my Rem XHR 7mm-08. Dropped in with no work. Not glass bedded and only had to adjust the sights down 1", right 1.5". holds zero very well, I haven't had to adjust the scope in 3 years.

slim
06-24-2015, 01:28 AM
man...I have a thumbhole varmint in forest camo laminate for my Sav 16 .338 WIN mag.....love it...drop in...very little fitting..glas bedded it......awesome

bought a pepper laminate pro varmint for my Sav 111 in .308.....again drop in fit....bedded it......awesome

boyds will turn you gun..into a work of art