PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

DOA
10-04-2013, 11:45 PM
So my 5yr old twin girls have been asking about getting a bow since watching Brave months ago. I first put it off as a fad and thought they were too young but I was in WSS today and found a Bear 1st shot, 9.5# with 14" draw. For $20 it's worth a shot! As I have virtually no experience myself I picked up a cheap recurve for myself and wifey to share so it can be a family activity. We'll see how it goes!

Candychikita
10-05-2013, 12:20 AM
good luck! i hope you guys have fun :D

i bought my then six year old one of those and she LOVES it. she also likes to accessorize it and wear dresses with it and has used fabric paints on her quiver...but i've turned a blind eye to that. three generations of females in this family are archers :D worth the fabric paints and accessorizing IMOP :D

DOA
05-22-2014, 05:45 PM
So, my girls love the bow. Ended up giving the recurve to my 16yr old sister in law as my wife didn't care for it too much and it was a little small for me. Now I need to find something entry level for myself.

Tell me about crossbows....

Rory McCanuck
05-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Have you looked into a compound bow for yourself?
You don't have to spend stupid money, even a used one in a local ad, refurbish and go to town.
Sorry, can't help with a crossbow...yet ;)

DOA
05-22-2014, 07:49 PM
I've thought about a compound, really enjoy shooting them but I like the idea of others (wife, growing kids) enjoying it to. Compounds are set at a specific draw length that make that impossible, as far as I know. I don't hunt so I thought an entry crossbow could be a fun alternative.

Cryptix
05-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Could always look at getting a take-down recurve, and order various limbs for the family to grow into. :)