Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar

cleaning black powder irons?

I just started shooting BP in a BPCR after running smokeless in them for years.
    My buddy just picked up his first muzzle loader.
    Would like some advice on proper methods of cleaning from those with experience.

So far I just run a mop through to remove the "soot" then a brass brush to get the grooves and an oiled patch.
    I'm just cleaning the barrel and so far this method has sufficed.
    My buddy has a break action with a removable breach plug and is itching to test run it but doesn't know how to properly clean it and I was no help.

I thought that a cleaning thread would be a good addition so let's hear what you folks do.
    A very smart fella said " Ballistol" but I can't find any in Sask.

Let er rip gents and thanks.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

I use brake cleaner then slap a wet oil patch down and around were ever I doused it with the brake clean. Simple, quick and very effective. Now for the more smaller piece (ie a bolt) I drop it into Slip2000. Then shake rattle and roll it out dry then wet it back up with lube. Although now Hornady has that big sonic tub, I might be changing my cleaning techniques.

OP - You come on to a public forum and admit to using smokeless powder in a BPCR? Sinner!.....there's a special hell just for guys like you!

I just use Windex, the one with vinegar in it is best, on patches, followed by an oil for protection. Should there be any leading, then I use Fluid-Film and a bronze brush to scrub it loose.

thanks gents.
    I done a helluva lot worse things in my life than running smokeless in place of BP...an like my old uncle told me when he saw my Remington New Model Army... "you know smokeless powder isn't just a passing fad!"

That said, I'm growing fond of the smoke an ashes of it all.

that's it..?

2 fellas clean their BP irons...

Banned
    Check this out.

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/wcs.html

I started using this technique with my Pedersoli Flintlock back in April. It took a while (at least 10 weeks), before I got clean patches whenever I would run one down the barrel. I would do a quick clean every Sunday night, even if I had not been shooting it during the week and of course cleaning it everytime I would shoot. It has become much easier to clean whenever I shoot and not even a hint of rust ever, anymore. Have a read see what you want to do.

As a professional Chef, I would never use soap or solvents on a properly "seasoned" cast iron skillet. It pulls the oil out of the pores in the metal and then you get rusting. Duh! My flintlock was behaving just like a brand new cast iron pan. What do you think a barrel is made from? So, after careful thought this technique makes complete sense to me. JMHO

Cheers!
    Last edited by Edenchef; 10-31-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Canadian ForcesMember Stone Horse's Avatar
    I'm a newbie (18 months) when it comes to BP. It is my understanding never to use a petroleum based gun oil in the barrel of a BP firearm. The oil residue combines with the black powder during the firing (burning) process at leaves a sticky, hard to clean residue behind. Hot soapy water is the the cheapest and the traditional method of cleaning a BP barrel. Once patched dry, the barrel is then coated with Ballistol or even a patch lube such as Bore Butter to protect the metal from rust.

I have a cap lock muzzle loader and I use a solution of equal parts of 3% peroxide, rubbing alcohol and Murphy Oil Soap to clean the barrel. Works fast. I recall this being the "three patch method of barrel cleaning". I then dry the barrel with a patch then run one patch saturated with Ballistol. Barrel is clean and no rust issues whatsoever.

Ballistol in Sk?

Where?

Anyone?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    Ballistol in Sk?

Where?

Anyone?
    In Canada you have to mail order it from here:

http://www.ballistol.ca/

Cheers!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Horse View Post
    It is my understanding never to use a petroleum based gun oil in the barrel of a BP firearm. The oil residue combines with the black powder during the firing (burning) process at leaves a sticky, hard to clean residue behind.
    You are very correct, sir. Only use "natural" oils when working with Black Powder. Animal or vegetable based. My favorite is fish oil, for it's ability to displace water. JMHO

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast