Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar

Ran out of elevation

On Saturday a few of us ran out to a special spot Dmay has that clocks in at 2603 yard. Dmay was shooting his custom barrelled hs50 , Sdeviation with his 338 edge AI and me with the cheytac .Jwire and bullwhip were the spotters for this shoot and they did a great job!! Now before I go any further I have to congratulate Dmay, after about 20 rounds he connected with three consecutive hits at 2600 yards ! He has pics of the hits so I will let him post them up in the thread.

Now the numbers I had figured out for the cheytac said with the rail I have and the inturnal elevation on the mk4 there should be just enough! But it didn't quite work out I was over 40 min short ! So I will put this out there for others that deal with long range shooting who makes a blank one piece rail with no mounting holes? I would be looking for a 50 moa rail !

So this brings me to the next thing I am going to add to this rifle and that is some better glass . Now dont bother suggesting sightron or bushnell this rifle deserves a high end set of lenses. I have been looking at the beast or something else in that price range. I looked at s&b but the model I looked at only has 60 min of internal elevation, so that's no where near enough. I will say also that I am a sfp guy

So fill me in on what the other long range guys are using for stupid long distance !!

Steve

I would also like to thank Dmay for opening up his range to us in this quest we have to hit shit a long ways away!
    Last edited by stevesummit; 09-08-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: forgot a line !!

We almost got there, next time.

Thanks again Dmay for the invite.

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

Yep either get a greater moa rail or an S&B that has greater moa range.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    What about taking the rail you already have and milling it down on a taper to give you more elevation ? How long is your rail....I might be able to pull this off with what I have here.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

i was thinking about that also but i would have to measure it and see if there is enough meat to mill it down another 30 moa lol

Ok now tell me how big the target was?? And what no trees behind the target for kentucky windage.
    Steve you need a NightForce. Buy once cry once.
    Congrats on the hits DMAY.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    The total length would have to be 6 1/2"....maybe a touch more. The cross slide will do 6 5/16"...then we'd gain a bit from the diameter of the end mill. Either that, or wait a few months until I finally get a proper vertical knee mill in here, and then there would be no problem up to 14 1/2"
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Ok now tell me how big the target was?? And what no trees behind the target for kentucky windage.
    Steve you need a NightForce. Buy once cry once.
    Congrats on the hits DMAY.
    Well the target wasn't small, but it was very workable ! And I am leaning to a n/f

And I do believe the rail is 9 inches long

Well Boys, we got the range and target now, so let's make more use of it.....

It was a great time, and thank you Steve for the welding. And friend Germain for assistance in set-up.

Can just see the white dot in the distance:

[IMG][/IMG]

Target is about 8ft X 10ft. 750 Amax didn't penetrate, but put a dent, and lifted enough paint to easily spot hits.

[IMG][/IMG]

Not much of a group, I admit, although, in fairness, I did adjust POA a little each shot.....
    And ya Tigrr.....no graduated trees behind, so ya gotta bring optics

Point of interest: "Strelok" ballistic program was closer to predicting what I needed than "Shooter", I gotta analyse the input into both and see whats going on......

But there we have it, the challenge is up, target won the first round, but we gotta get back there and put some more dents in him. Expect you, Steve and Sdeviation, back to put your marks on soon, and see how many others we can get on target. Looking forward to see it humiliate Armorman, once the snow flies and he's back to his winter couch-sitting job.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Sounds like you had a very productive weekend! I guess I had better get my ass in gear and get my .338 Impoved together... As for the rail, Brownells carries picatinny blanks. Or you might be able to find one at ATRS.

SL
    Libertarians: Diligently working to take over the world and leave you alone.

Also, Taxation is Theft.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast