Page 69 of 118 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can run those on gasoline.
    I have a really old one that lists unleaded gasoline as a fuel. I assume they stopped listing it so they could sell you more Coleman brand camp fuel.
    13 years ago...man, time flies....they were selling the ones that run on gasoline in the US. I was told by someone who knew more than I did that Canadian gasoline didnt have the quality control that the American gasoline did. Thats why they didnt sell them in Canada. I have run a regular old Coleman stove on Canadian gasoline (regular 87 octane) for a weekend with no problems. I cant guarantee its ok to do it...just that Ive done it and it was ok
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Hidyn (09-05-2019)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    PREP TEST !!!!

We had a transformer blow up in north east Edmonton tonight at around 9:30pm(ish). The power was down for a couple of hours. I decided that now was as good a time as any to pull out the genny for a test. Thats when I realized I had unplugged the battery tender. Sure enough, it was dead. Damn it !!! Fail on my part. I boosted it off my truck and it started right up. I think its time to jam a full size car battery in there.....AND DONT FORGET TO PLUG IN THE TENDER, IDIOT !!!! Anyway...the power came back on after about 1.5 hrs. If nothing else, Mrs BSD and my neighbor got a lesson on how to start it.

Lesson learned. Just because you put a prep in place does not mean youre ok to just forget about it for x length of time. Test your stuff on a regular basis so its ready to go if you need it.

Stuff that did work perfectly: my hand held flashlight, and my Duo 60 day lantern. Good lord, that lantern will light up a heck of a large area if you put it on high. Leaving it on medium was perfect for a 10x16 ft room.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

It sounds funny to most people, but I'm thankful for those little disasters that test you. It let's you see what actually works in your environment, and for how long.

Also, for those in the path of Dorian, it seems (I haven't tried to listen yet) that there are storm calls going out on 14.325 MHz USB, and 7.268 MHz LSB.

If you're on the east coast and haven't thought about ham radio gear, this is a little food for thought!
    "You can break the surgical procedure of removing an appendix down into about 30-35 individual steps – each of which is not overly complicated or beyond an enthusiastic amateur."

-Survival and Austere Medicine, 3rd ed.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Hidyn

blacksmithden (09-06-2019)

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidyn View Post
    It sounds funny to most people, but I'm thankful for those little disasters that test you. It let's you see what actually works in your environment, and for how long.

Also, for those in the path of Dorian, it seems (I haven't tried to listen yet) that there are storm calls going out on 14.325 MHz USB, and 7.268 MHz LSB.

If you're on the east coast and haven't thought about ham radio gear, this is a little food for thought!
    Looks like Halifax will be almost smack dab in the middle of the projected path. Where I am, might be on the edge. We are watching and preparing for it.

Thanks!! blacksmithden
    I showed my wife an avid sewer the new sewing machine you bought and she was amazed that you can still buy a sewing machine that is not computerized and made of metal.
    I ordered the black version with the extras from Amazon. Should be here next week.

9FHB4Rc.jpg

8. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By t_glover

blacksmithden (09-06-2019), Hidyn (09-05-2019), kennymo (09-05-2019), Rory McCanuck (09-05-2019)

RobertMcC

10. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By RobertMcC

blacksmithden (09-06-2019), Hidyn (09-05-2019), kennymo (09-05-2019), RangeBob (09-05-2019), Rory McCanuck (09-05-2019)

It's not fair to promote those stereotypes.
    Lots of nova scotians weren't planning to do any kind of work monday anyway.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

12. The Following 7 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

blacksmithden (09-06-2019), chrisc (09-06-2019), Gaidheal (09-06-2019), lone-wolf (09-05-2019), Rory McCanuck (09-05-2019), Swingerguy (09-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Looks like Halifax will be almost smack dab in the middle of the projected path. Where I am, might be on the edge. We are watching and preparing for it.
    I just hope Nova Scotia does its job and takes the brunt of the storm, protecting us here on PEI.

LOL

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Gaidheal

lone-wolf (09-06-2019)

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    It's not fair to promote those stereotypes.
    Lots of nova scotians weren't planning to do any kind of work monday anyway.
    Who has 2 Thumbs and not working Monday?

<< ----- This Guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidheal View Post
    I just hope Nova Scotia does its job and takes the brunt of the storm, protecting us here on PEI.

LOL
    Nova Scotia seems to be the political punching bag.. Sure why not.

16. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

Swingerguy (09-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    I bought a 24 of plastic water bottles,
    because my latest water bill says my household used 17 m^3 per person per month,
    and it's been projected, not amazingly well I'm sure, that 24 plastic water bottles will do for a 72 hour emergency, for drinking, cooking and washing.
    That's only 12L of water. I'd say you need more, lots more. I would fill some buckets with tap water so you can properly cook, clean and flush the toilet.
    Lifetime Member PAPRC, SHA
    Member NFA, NRA, SRAC, FMFG, SFC