Page 76 of 127 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126 ... LastLast
    Got 4 boxes of 500rnds of Blaser .22 for $18 ea.

..opps. That was 10 years ago
    Previously- Rivetc78 from CGN

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Heading into town today. No-Frills has 24's of bottled water for a buck. Water is good. Bottles can be burned afterwards if need be. Greta can "how dare you" all she wants. Might just buy some plastic straws just because.
    GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidheal View Post
    Currently making pemmican.

Could be the perfect survival food... especially for the Keto folks among us.
    Now you got me interested. Care to share your favourite recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheb View Post
    Now you got me interested. Care to share your favourite recipe?
    Just starting so no favourite yet. Today's batch will have garlic and either ginger or cinnamon... spunds odd but i think it will work.

I'm also going to experiment today with coconut oil as the fat. Easier to make and should be shelf-stable enough for this round.

Part of my quest is not just long term self reliance storage for emergencies etc but as food/fuel for my longer bike rides.

Having a non-perishable, light weight for the energy food that requires no on-the-go prep like cooking is the holy grail of travel food.

I think this is it.

5. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Gaidheal

lone-wolf (02-15-2020), Rory McCanuck (02-15-2020), SIR VEYOR (02-18-2020)

Dumped 5 gallons of three and a half month old fuel into the truck. Off to the local petrol emporium to top up the generator reserve, unpredictable seasonal change weather is just around the corner.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

chrisc (02-15-2020), Stew (02-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    Heading into town today. No-Frills has 24's of bottled water for a buck. Water is good. Bottles can be burned afterwards if need be. Greta can "how dare you" all she wants. Might just buy some plastic straws just because.
    no fair, No Frills here only has 12 for $1

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    My wife said the shelves were abnormally understocked at Costco yesterday. Im going out tomorrow to stock the stash. Given the current situation with our country and Nero fiddling while it burns......yeah.....you get the picture. If its like this in February, summer is going to be a 5 star mess.
    Between the corona virus shutting down production in China, possible supply chain problems in North America if the virus gets a foothold here and protester induced supply chain problems I'm thinking stock levels in the stores could get really lean really quickly. Building the reserves up now before people start panic buying seems like a logical thing to do.
    Lifetime Member PAPRC, SHA
    Member NFA, NRA, SRAC, FMFG, SFC

10. The Following User Liked This Post By chrisc

Rory McCanuck (02-15-2020)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Between the corona virus shutting down production in China, possible supply chain problems in North America if the virus gets a foothold here and protester induced supply chain problems I'm thinking stock levels in the stores could get really lean really quickly. Building the reserves up now before people start panic buying seems like a logical thing to do.
    I just went out and bought $300 worth of dry goods and canned stuff for the stash. Of course, Mrs BSD starts putting it away in the kitchen. I already told her that it was just in case stuff. She, like most of the idiots out there, doesnt think that the supply chain can/will ever stop. I asked "What are you doing ? All this stuff is going downstairs." She laughed and just kept right on putting the stuff away in the kitchen. A little firmly, I told her to knock it off and took the stuff back out and brought it downstairs. I said "You need to forget that I went shopping this morning and do the regular shopping." She said something about the stuff going bad.....blah blah blah. I rotate stuff out pretty well and miss very little. Even if it all expired in a year (most of it is good longer), $300 is a small price to pay for a little piece of mind. I remember the pictures from the USSR when I was a kid. All the cash in the world doesnt do you a damned bit of good if theres nothing on the shelves to buy. I highly doubt it will ever get that bad here, but I want to eat what I normally eat if things do get lean. Not "whatever is left" on the shelves.

Ive still got enough firewood out in the yard for this year, and next, so that isnt a concern. Theres enough fuel for the generator for about 3 months if used only when needed. Tons of batteries on hand as well. The only thing Im running a little low on (2 month supply left) is toilet paper. I bought one large pack of it but I didnt find any for a good price at Superstore. Ill hunt around a little more later today or tomorrow.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 02-15-2020 at 03:26 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

chrisc (02-16-2020), elliott264 (02-15-2020)

Yeah, I don't understand the way sheeple think. $100/month cell phone bill? Sure! Money well spent! $300 worth of food to have just in case? You're wasting your money! People's priorities are bass-ackwards. Normalcy bias reigns supreme in this modern world of ours.

14. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By elliott264

chrisc (02-16-2020), Sabio (02-15-2020)

The shelves are empty, gonna be hard living off lobsters like the old days.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

16. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Gaidheal (02-15-2020)