Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lever 30/30 & sinking projectiles?

So on Sunday I want to go for one last walk through the bush to chase up a deer. If I at least see one I'll call it a successful day.....it's been a rough year. It'll be close range in the bush and love the Winchester Model 94 as it's light, fast and enjoyable to carry. The last time I used the rifle was for bear, sitting in a stand with one in the chamber hammer down watching the big critters run around the place. I went out about 15 evenings or so, so I did a lot of loading & unloading of rounds. After a while I started noticing some of the projectiles sinking deeper into the case. I've noticed this in both my Federal & Win factory ammo. I wonder if I'll start experiencing pressure issues? Anybody else have this happen? Weak crimp maybe? I don't really want to toss the rounds but a couple of them are pretty deep so a few will have to go I guess.

Bullet set-back is a bad thing. How bad depends.
    Have they set back 0.020" or 1/2"? If it's just a bit, I wouldn't worry, if you can measure the difference with a tape measure, I'd be concerned. Do you know anyone that reloads? They could reseat the bullets and crimp them easily enough.
    You're bang on with the '94 though, easy to carry, and points like your finger. That old round nose bullet seems to work pretty well, too.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I've still got my first gun...Winchester 94 in 30-30...and I've never had an issue with collapsing cartridges. I've had more than a few with the tip of the bullet beat to crap from repeated loading and unloading, but never a sinking bullet issue. I wonder if they've started making the brass thinner to save money and it's just not able to hold the bullet in place ? Anyway...If you happen to be around Edmonton, I've got a bullet pulling hammer that would move them back into position, and a factory crimp die to redo the crimp.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Bullet set-back is a bad thing. How bad depends.
    Have they set back 0.020" or 1/2"? If it's just a bit, I wouldn't worry, if you can measure the difference with a tape measure, I'd be concerned. Do you know anyone that reloads? They could reseat the bullets and crimp them easily enough.
    You're bang on with the '94 though, easy to carry, and points like your finger. That old round nose bullet seems to work pretty well, too.
    They're noticeable by eye (comparing to untouched rounds in the box) and others are quite obviously sunk in. So I guess that rules out a tape measure I reload but don't have dies for 30/30.
    I've got a Dillon 550 and usually use it for loading pistol stuff, turning it into a single stage for 270, 308 and other calibers where precision is desired.
    Tomorrow I'm getting some Hornady Leverolution stuff, test at the range, walk Sunday and chase some whitetails.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I've still got my first gun...Winchester 94 in 30-30...and I've never had an issue with collapsing cartridges. I've had more than a few with the tip of the bullet beat to crap from repeated loading and unloading, but never a sinking bullet issue. I wonder if they've started making the brass thinner to save money and it's just not able to hold the bullet in place ? Anyway...If you happen to be around Edmonton, I've got a bullet pulling hammer that would move them back into position, and a factory crimp die to redo the crimp.
    Everything's going to he!! here in MB (for a pole climber anyway...and I'm not a stripper)and I'd love to be in AB! Every holiday we take out there I shed a tear as I see the land I love disappear in the rearview mirror.
    I've got a pulling hammer but the reseating is an issue. Only dies close I have are for 308.
    I guess I could try tapping the bullet hammer and go from there?

Senior Member A corrupted individual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Not a new thing, I have a 30-30 cartridge from the 1980s that the whole bullet is pretty much inside the case. I'll post a pic soon.
    Last edited by A corrupted individual; 11-23-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Lengthen them with the kinetic puller, and re-seat them with your .308 die.
    30-30 brass should go in with no problem???
    You might even be able to crimp with your .308 die, with some patient experimentation.
    You might be able to get the 30-30s in deep enough?

Ideally, the brass should have the bullets pulled, at least the neck resized, and then the bullet seated and crimped.
    That way, neck tension is really holding the bullet like it should, not using a crimp as a band-aid.
    More consistent neck tension should also improve accuracy.

Senior Member A corrupted individual's Avatar

^^^^
    Interesting, I have some Imperial brass that after resizing, the bullet falls into the neck.
    Thickness is correct, it's just the age/springback in the brass. Annealing them would likely fix it, but I haven't collected enough of them to make it worthwhile yet.

Quote Originally Posted by A corrupted individual View Post

Something is not right here at all. Time to get some chamber sizing checked. I would also load up an empty case with just the bullet and check to make sure it's nothing mechanical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast