Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I have been told that a piston driven AR cycles slightly faster as well. Something to do with gas compression being more of an issue with a longer gas system in a DI setup. Gases are still the main force behind the piston driven systen though just not as much I guess.
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorPursuitsCanada View Post
    A DI system uses the gases from the spent cartridge to move the bolt carrier. A piston system uses just that, a piston in a cylinder to move the bolt (as used in an SKS)
    But that piston is still driven by gas is it not?
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    But that piston is still driven by gas is it not?
    Yes but only between the barrel and gas block like an SKS, or CZ, so no long gas tube like a standard DI AR.
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

This was my initial understanding, though I didn't fully understand the details.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Red Deer Shooting Centre
    That above video exaggerates the theory quite a bit.

The fact is all rifles need regular cleaning and proper maintenance. Sure if you never clean a gas gun there will be extensive carbon build up, but with regular maintenance it's IMO one of the most reliable systems out there. With piston, sure, it may run cleaner but will it be as reliable? More moving parts, more parts to wear out and replace and more wear and tear on the entire rifle itself....

Perhaps it's too close to give a definitive answer either way. So in that case, I'll stick with the original intended concept and design. Most of the best AR builders and manufacturers in the world still hold DI to the highest standard in their line-up, fact.
    Red Deer Shooting Centre
    403-347-2232
    www.rdsc.ca
    info@rdsc.ca
    SHOP ONLINE!

Honky Tonk Outlaw BuckingFastard's Avatar
    Never owned I piston, probably never will. I'm with 50 on this one, I like the DI, all my ar's have been flawless in operation. Properly cleaned and maintained after every outing, riden hard but never put away dirty. I like the original design of the ar15, If its good enough for the sandbox it's good enough for me.
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way"

Lets go a step further. My wife and daughter want me to buy AR15, don't want to brake the bank but nothing cheap either, preffer in .22lr. What to get?

Senior Member OutdoorPursuitsCanada's Avatar
    S&W MP22 is the way to go, sadly its still a restricted.

What is this crap.Moderator get rid of this guy, doing it in other posts as well.

Senior Member OutdoorPursuitsCanada's Avatar
    Who and what are you talking about Bigl?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast