Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar

Legalities of Hunting on Horseback?

Where can I find information about hunting on horseback in BC, rules/regs etc?

Is it 'unsporting' if you are still mounted?
    Is it 'unsporting' if you are in motion?
    Do you have to follow the same rules for transporting a firearm if on horseback?
    Does your firearm have to be unloaded?
    Does your firearm have to be holstered on the saddle somehow or can it be in a sling on your person?

The only thing I know at this point is BCWF insurance doesn't extend to anything on horseback...have to get additional HCBC insurance relating to all things equine.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I would check the hunting regs for BC
    here in Sk. it pretty much the same as using a quad.
    unloaded and encases, can't shoot from the saddle bla bla bla...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

I have to laugh at the idea of shooting from the saddle. I mean you REALLY got to trust that horse not to spook to let go of the reigns and fire a gun from above its head!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsneversafe View Post
    I have to laugh at the idea of shooting from the saddle. I mean you REALLY got to trust that horse not to spook to let go of the reigns and fire a gun from above its head!!!
    You have to train a gun horse...you don't just surprise em with it.
    [sarcasm]Lots of wrecks in western movies when folks shoot horseback[/sarcasm]
    I had an ugly hammerhead roan a fella could shoot offa. Old Red wouldn't twitch.
    There's a big benefit to havin yer arse 5ft in the air when the grass is tall...[sarcasm]course 99% of folks fell off and shot themselves so they had to make it illegal...as proved by western movies and mounted cowboy action...[/sarcasm]

I don't recommend layin the rifle between his ears when you shoot either...

oh and it's reins
    Last edited by BrotherRockeye; 12-04-2013 at 07:12 PM.

I've never seen anything in BC regs in regards to firearms on horseback...only on motorized vehicles. I'd think it would take a little practice to be standing on the saddle and making running shots, but from what I've been told it's quite challenging.

I think you better check with the horse first! He will be the first one to set you straight anyway.

all goofiness aside, i went through some absolutely incredible back country not easily accessible by vehicle and encountered quite a few curious deer...in areas i've read people complaining about not being able to find any. the idiot horse i ride is gun broke and is absolutely the dumbest creature alive. it's decided it doesn't go in reverse. and it ate my hat.

Banned
    I happened to mention this to my dad (who grew up on the farm), and legalities aside he noted that if the horse is not 100% trained for gunshots; itll bolt and be home before YOU are. He apparently learned the hard way when his horse bolted to the sound of a D8 cat firing up too close.

Past that; if you can hit anything at range from a horse I will be duly impressed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast