Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

antique flow chart

I think we need this here...
    janice

[IMG][/IMG]

thank you 41 Colt
    Last edited by Twosteam; 12-23-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Ahhh Grasshopper, (shakes head) but consistency is the sign of a stagnant mind.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Twosteam

Waterloomike (07-31-2019)

Very nice. Thanks.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell

Sticky?
    CSSA CCFR

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    A helpful addition for some Janice.
    You may want to edit your post and give the deserved credit to 41 Colt who created it and shared it originally.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    Sticky?
    I can't even remember who looks after this section officially, but for the time being, yes...I think it's a valuable bit of information.

Thanks for posting this Twosteam !
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Good to see this here, but I gotta ask was 41colt consulted prior to posting his work?

Of course I am a member there as well I asked him first.
    janice
    Ahhh Grasshopper, (shakes head) but consistency is the sign of a stagnant mind.

Right on Jan . No offense meant, just used to lots of people cross posting without permission so I thought I should ask. Again, good to see this here.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    thought I would add a couple of things here that are pertinent.
    The first is the compliance document I drafted years ago and have used successfully many times.
    The second is self explanatory...
    since i can't attach the pdf here is a text version.
    you can omit the "value" line or any you don't think you need.
    please remember that where antique pistols are concerned in Canada, and to loosely quote Falstaff "The better part of valour, is discretion"

DECLARATION OF COMPLIANCE

This package contains antique firearms manufactured prior to 1898 and are chambered for cartridges which are considered obsolete and in compliance with Canadian Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms:
    1. The firearms listed in the schedule are antique firearms for the purposes of paragraph (b) of the definition “antique firearm” in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code.
    7. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.

To wit:

These antique firearms are also compliant with United States law, GCA of 1968, Title 18 USC Chapter 44 SS921 (16) "Antique Firearms" and may be bought, sold, and shipped with no regulations as per the U.S. Laws.

Specifically, this package contains:
    Qty:
    Make/Model:
    Serial #:
    Buyer:
    Seller:
    Value:
    Signature:
    Date_______/_______/_________
    I will add as an afterthought...
    that compliance declaration is by no means a substitute for due diligence.
    One should always thoroughly research what they are buying.
    A seller could quite easily, knowingly or not, misrepresent an iron only to make the sale, leaving you with little recourse once the iron is in your hands.
    I doubt that returning an unregistered restricted or prohib to the US through the mail would go over any better than having it in your possession.
    A prime example from earlier this evening...and what prompted me to post this...
    A seller had listed an "antique" revolver on another forum. It was clearly stamped 44wcf on the left side in the pictures, meaning it doesn't qualify as an antique in Canada, as 44wcf (.44 Winchester center fire) is 44-40Winchester, a "no-go" caliber.
    The seller was unaware of this until I PM'd him.
    That particular style of S&W DA revolver was routinely copied in the original 44Russian chambering but was later chambered in the more popular 44wcf and dubbed a "frontier" model.
    Had it not been stamped 44wcf, or had an equally unaware buyer purchased the revolver, they would then be in possession of an unregistered restricted.
    If you do plan to import...
    Know which makes and models are usually chambered in acceptable calibers.
    Know what production years are acceptable in those makes/models.
    Do not hesitate to have chambers and bores measured, or different cartridges tried in an old iron prior to buying it.
    Remember, US antique laws differ from ours!
    Not everyone selling these old relics is an expert, and for that matter neither am I. EXACTLY why I always did my research and passed if something didn't add up.
    The last thing you want is to have your hard earned cash gone and your purchase seized at customs. Not to mention the prospect of charges for "trying to smuggle a restricted firearm into Canada"
    As always, it's BUYER BEWARE!
    That said,
    there is a level of security in buying in the marketplace. Yes the prices are generally higher, but that price includes many things that the StateSide irons don't.
    Someone else has already done the due diligence and assumed the risk of importing that iron.
    99.9% of the time that iron will BE an antique in Canada.
    There is a very good chance it has been given a once over for function.
    Quite a few of the irons that hit the EE have been imported, enjoyed, and are being passed on at a modest profit in order to acquire the next one.
    If you are unhappy with your purchase you have a far better chance of getting satisfaction from someone in Canada than another country.
    Weight the costs and choose accordingly.

my humble opinion only...ymmv
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

That chart is another example of the cluster-hump that is Canadian firearms law. Hopefully someone makes things simple and fair soon. Jeez I've got a darn headache after looking at that thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast