Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Great read. I just picked up a new 870 with the cantilivered rifled barrel and need to get a scope. Great baseline to learn off of.

Epic post!
    Thanx GateKeeper

The basic rule of buying scopes/optics.......don't cheap out.........buy quality and buy once......

If you can't afford top shelf optics right away, buy the best your budget allows and then save your $$$$$ to up grade.........

My rule is that your scope should cost at least as much as your rifle........or more....... .. I always get a kick out of guys with $2000.00 rifles and $300.00 scopes...... lol.......

4. The Following User Liked This Post By SKULLBOY

KnowledgeSeeker (12-13-2015)

Brilliant summary GateKeeper.

I was an optics technician before I was an avid shooter, so many of these concepts are self-evident to me, but I've always been amazed at how many shooters undervalue the optic side of their chosen weapon system.

A point that I'd add is that scopes can be portable between rifles with similar applications, so one scope can serve for several systems as long as they're not needed simultaneously and you don't mind re-zeroing. Of course, this portability also depends on the mounting system to a great extent. I have scopes held in mounts that attach to 1913 rails that I move around from time to time, but the Leupold on my .444 Marlin is in rings, so it stays put just out of convenience.

Cheers,

Murray310

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12