Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SFP vs FFP

I put a SFP Vortex 4-16 on my 6.5x284. I have limited experience but was looking for FFP after my research on scopes but found a good deal. The reticle is accurate for ranging at full power but is marked additional powers for 2x 3x & 4x so I can range at less power with simple math. I haven't yet shot past 500m but I think it is mostly preference.

So, like I said, I understand the concept of SFP vs FFP. For those who don't here's an easy to understand explanation by none other than a Vortex rep.

Considering the type of shooting I'll be doing with this particular rifle, I think I've made up my mind. I'll stick what I'm used to - SFP. Realistically, I don't need FFP for the type of shooting I'll be doing. When I find myself having to defend my land from rebels or forces of tyranny, then I'll reconsider FFP.

It would come in handy to work with hold-overs, but I think I'll manage. Worse case, I'll figure out the math.

Edit: On my semi, I have a fixed 10x, so I don't worry about calculations. I like it what way. I hate math. Ugh, now I'm leaning toward FFP again. Who am I kidding? I haven't really made up my mind yet. I'll probably end up using the Elite Tactical 10x40 from my Poly until I can raise some funds and then make a decision.
    Last edited by awndray; 01-17-2014 at 12:13 PM.

I really like that 8541 Tactical guy. I haven't found the other SFP vs FFP video he promised, but this one is also worth watching if you're interested in ranging.

I landed on this post on the subject while check some Google hits. I like this guy's style.

http://www.primalrights.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1522

I also read this in one of Vortex's user manuals online. It could be handy if you you plan on always using the same magnification and decide to save a couple hundred dollars by opting for the SFP scope.

When shooting with this FSP scope, be aware that the listed reticle subtensions used for estimating range, holdover, and wind drift correction are accurate at the highest magnifications for all models except the 6-24x50. For 6-24x50 models, the reticle subtensions are accurate at 18x.
    The Viper VMR-1 manual also a bit of information on ranging with that particular reticle.

Viper VMR-1 SCP - http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/...1_mrad_13b.pdf
    Viper GS LR SCP - http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/..._43002-12b.pdf
    Viper PST - http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/...er-pst-13a.pdf

I prefer ffp mil/mil scope for longrange shooting. The biggest advantage is the reticle always matches the turrets for dialling corrections when spotting impacts regardless of target distance or magnification setting.

I ended up picking up a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 MRAD FFP.

You'll be happy with that!

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    I ended up picking up a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 MRAD FFP.
    I have the Viper PST 6-24-50 MOA FFP on my Creedmoor and the Viper PST 1-4-24 on my DPMS, love them both. Enjoy!
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Oh, Vortex. Budget Optics... nevermind.

I have my Mark6 3-18x44.....its FFP.
    Previously- Rivetc78 from CGN

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Is it not usually to max magnification for the given scope? I don't have any user manuals or specifics for any of the SFP candidates for my new scope, but that's my understanding - the reticle is accurate for ranging when set to max. I could be wrong.
    Not necesssarily max, it's whatever is stipulated. Your magnification ring might have a highlighted mark (indicating it).

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Not necesssarily max, it's whatever is stipulated. Your magnification ring might have a highlighted mark (indicating it).
    I read somewhere once that SFP scopes should be set to 10x for ranging, if that helps. Use any known magnification but 10 is easily divisible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast