Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Elcan SpecterDR 1 x 4

I'm considering taking the plunge on an Elcan for games including 3Gun. I have an Eotech now that doesn't work out too well because of a mild astigmatism problem. I can't use it at all with my pistol glasses as the reticle distorts badly. My other scope is a Leupold Prismatic that works perfectly but lacks magnification.

Does anyone have comments? I'm particularly interested if someone with vision issues uses the Elcan successfully.

muchas gracias
    NightHawkCustom Pred II 45, NHC .22 upper, Stag Arms AR 15, Rem. Versa Max Tactical 12 Ga. Tanfoglio Ltd Custom Xtreme, an upgraded Tanfo Ltd Pro, Seraphim 1911 .45 ACP Archangel, Seraphim 9mm Warfighter, SIG P320 FS in 9mm with a .40 conversion and now a SIG P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm.

I have bad astigmatism that prevents me from appreciating the Eotech, and the two Elcans I've looked through-one just this last weekend (thank you nameless range stranger)-were amazing. If I could justify/afford one, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Crystal clear, I like the reticle, and the swing from 1x to 4x makes sense to me.
    CSSA CCFR

I've gotten very good reports from people regarding the outstanding quality of the Elcans. Made in Canada too!! You are the first to give me info regarding the vision issue. I wanted to look for myself before I laid down $2k. Thanks Sir Strewth!
    NightHawkCustom Pred II 45, NHC .22 upper, Stag Arms AR 15, Rem. Versa Max Tactical 12 Ga. Tanfoglio Ltd Custom Xtreme, an upgraded Tanfo Ltd Pro, Seraphim 1911 .45 ACP Archangel, Seraphim 9mm Warfighter, SIG P320 FS in 9mm with a .40 conversion and now a SIG P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm.

Very nice glass. I still prefer the Elcan on 4x setting with the mrds piggy backing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    Very nice glass. I still prefer the Elcan on 4x setting with the mrds piggy backing it.
    That's interesting as I was also considering the straight 4x with a Trijicon RMR on top. I had one of the later and stupidly sold it during a brain cramp. In fact I regret most of the sales I've made but most of them came from learning what I didn't know earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    It sounds as if you own or have owned the Elcan Specter. Please tell me does the 1x dot adjust (zero) independent of the 4x. I guess that should be obvious but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hercster View Post
    That's interesting as I was also considering the straight 4x with a Trijicon RMR on top. I had one of the later and stupidly sold it during a brain cramp. In fact I regret most of the sales I've made but most of them came from learning what I didn't know earlier.
    I have bought them all and this is the setup that I keep on coming back too.
    Quote Originally Posted by hercster View Post
    It sounds as if you own or have owned the Elcan Specter. Please tell me does the 1x dot adjust (zero) independent of the 4x. I guess that should be obvious but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks
    No they do not. Sight it in on one and they are good to go on both. Hope this vid helps out:

*Pay attention to the 4:07 mark for your answer.*

I'm pretty sure the Elcan SpecterDR is probably one of if not the best red dots available.

You'd be hard pressed to find anything negative to say about them.

Thanks for the video which helped a lot Mr. Satain. I'm pretty much sold that this would be the only sighting system I need on my AR. Now I need to sell an Eotech to help pay for this new one in the spring. For what it's worth, Sean at Freedom Ventures could likely have his pick of optic for his personal use and uses an Elcan.

There's a new one on CGN for &1775

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast