Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmac65 View Post
    Try it out yet?
    I just got back from the first range session the purpose of which was to zero for a big match this weekend. The HAMR was a breeze and had my AR shooting one inch groups at 50 yards in no time. The Delta Point is a different story. The adjustments are via very small torque screws which also lock the unit. They are a challenge for my old eyes and the adjustments are very responsive and I tended to overdo. I ran out of ammo and so will finish the job later this week. I zeroed the MRD for 35 yards and the scope for 50-200 which suits the type of shooting I do.

The HAMR is an obviously robust piece. Everything is tight and yet smooth. I love the reticle and can be very precise with it. I was able to cover many of my three round groups with just one patch. I'll get the hang of the MRD soon and will be a very happy camper.
    NightHawkCustom Pred II 45, NHC .22 upper, Stag Arms AR 15, Rem. Versa Max Tactical 12 Ga. Tanfoglio Ltd Custom Xtreme, an upgraded Tanfo Ltd Pro, Seraphim 1911 .45 ACP Archangel, Seraphim 9mm Warfighter, SIG P320 FS in 9mm with a .40 conversion and now a SIG P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm.

Enough magnification for 200 , 300 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by brianmac65 View Post
    Enough magnification for 200 , 300 yards?
    I would say without question, but that depends on what you need. The reticle has a BDC for 800/900 yards. The dot in the centre is 1/2 MOA as I recall but check the specs for your self. I was shooting indoors with the alumination on, shooting at a one inch dot at 50 yards. The dot fit in the illuminated horseshoe. I found it better with the illumination off when I could see the reticle dot directly on that one inch dot on my targets. One inch groups were almost easy despite a less than perfect position at the bench and my shaky vision. I'll be shooting at 12/15 inch plates at 200 yards and will do so with confidence.
    NightHawkCustom Pred II 45, NHC .22 upper, Stag Arms AR 15, Rem. Versa Max Tactical 12 Ga. Tanfoglio Ltd Custom Xtreme, an upgraded Tanfo Ltd Pro, Seraphim 1911 .45 ACP Archangel, Seraphim 9mm Warfighter, SIG P320 FS in 9mm with a .40 conversion and now a SIG P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm.

Thanks for the report.Ive also been looking at a burris 536 with 5x magnification and a FF 111 mounted on top.Just have to do a little more research.

I just looked at the 536 and would prefer the HAMR. However it's an apples and oranges comparison cost wise where the HAMR is comparable to an ACOG. The Field of View is much broader on the HAMR and extremely bright.

If you set the apex of the delta point to 25 meters you should be good to go.
    But I do think I still prefer the green dot of the RMR over the red delta point any day. Even more so on a sunny day.
    Oh Ya!!!

Update:

I just got back from another range session. I'm now zeroed at 50/200 for the HAMR and 35 yards for the DeltaPoint. I learned to make minimal adjustments on the MRD as I tended to over do things and get frustrated yesterday. I much prefer the adjustment controls on the Trijicon RMR. The lock and adjusting screws on the Delta Point are very small and take careful "screwing around" with a mini torx key. It's definitely tricky but once done, I've read it's solid.

I'm sure the Delta reticle will take some getting used to but using the tip today gave me very good accuracy at 35 yards. The targets I shoot at that distance are either steel plates or IPSC/IDPA standard targets where acute accuracy is not required. I figure getting the Delta in the A zone will be fast and accurate enough.

Time will tell but I'm very happy with the rig so far. The HAMR is very solid, very bright and I like the reticle. I doubt that I will use the illumination much and it's easier to be precise with it off as the centre dot is very small but easy to pick up because of the horseshoe. In that respect it's similar to the Eotech reticle illuminated or not.

The match on the weekend will be the most difficult of my career so far. There will be good shooters from all over this part of Texas. Many of these people have been shooting since they learned to walk. I can shoot as well as many of the shooters but these things are hard on my old knees. There will be a lot of kneeling and prone shots where I'm fine except for the getting up part. I also find it tough to shoot through ports that are half way down a wall or windows at ground level. It's a younger man's game but I still in there slugging and having a blast. We have combat vets with one or no legs shoot with us which puts things into perspective if I get whiny.

Life is good and better with guns!!

just remember to dry run and plan out your stage before you run it. Speed in comp's can sometimes lead to down falls of even the best shooters cause they are over think and straying away from the plan & get lazy in the pre-run set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    just remember to dry run and plan out your stage before you run it. Speed in comp's can sometimes lead to down falls of even the best shooters cause they are over think and straying away from the plan & get lazy in the pre-run set-up.
    I hear you loud and clear Mr. Satain. I think about it as a creating a video in my head before the stage. I still screw up from time to time with various forms of brain cramps.

Some times I lose track of what targets have been shot and what has not. This happens when some targets can be seen from one position and then I have to stagger to a second spot to shoot the others. It's all good because none of them are shooting back and I shoot for fun rather than glory.

My attitude is that if I go home safe and I haven't hurt anyone else and still had fun then it's been a good day.

For your entertainment, here is a video of this match from 2012. That helicopter isn't mine. I'd like to arrive in my own chopper but I like to keep a low profile. One of the organizers tells me that Jerry Miculek may make an appearance again. In 2012 he shot the whole match and was just "one of the guys". He patched targets just like the rest of the squad.

The facilities here in Corpus Christi are terrific. There are eight bays at one club and 16 at the other so even big matches are very smooth. Quite a few shooters move from one stage to the other with golf carts. The match will run Saturday and Sunday with 150 shooters including ONE Canadian.
    Last edited by hercster; 02-12-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123