Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

Chainsaws !!!! and other wood cutting stuff

Discuss all your tree carcass dismantling implements here. Chainsaws, axes, log lifters, splitters, and anything else to do with getting your stacks ready for winter.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Just a few random pics of my wood cutting escapades over the past few years.

My other family. I'm too tired to remember all the model numbers right now. The big on on the left is an old 90cc Stihl 051AV running a 36" bar and .404 chain. My Husky 372XGP (XPG?) and 445E are in there too.

The other family.jpg

I bought an 18ft tandem axel deckover trailer from Rottweilerboy a few years ago. I put 30" removable sides on it first. I then took apart a 15 ton Speeco splitter. I put a Princess Auto hydraulic tank and the engine on top of the job box on the front. The splitter head is mounted half way down the deck. The hoses have quick connects and store inside the job box. This way you don't have that engine running right in your face all day, and the split pieces are already on the trailer. The engine exhaust points forward, and you can actually run this rig without hearing protection on.

Trailer with splitter.jpg

And there is is with a load on.

Firewood.jpg
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 10-30-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

firemachine69 (11-19-2019), pitw (10-31-2019)

I inherited that exact same Homelite on the right end from my old man when I got my first house. It was the first saw he let me run when I was 14 or 15. Cut many a stick with it, gave it to my cousin for spare parts when the automatic oiler finally crapped out on it. He received the same saw from his dad (my uncle) when he bought his house.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

blacksmithden (10-30-2019), pitw (10-31-2019)

Milling live edge birch slabs with my neighbor. You can see my Stihl 051AV mounting in the Alaskan chainsaw mill sitting on top of the log on the top right. To give you an idea of the size, the slabs are 3 1/2" thick, so a 2x4 stood on edge. Yes, it damned near broke both of us carrying them about 100 ft, up hill, to the truck.

Attachment 18913

What those slabs look like 3 years later.

Attachment 18914

Attachment 18915
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

My home made wood rack both empty and full. The bars are 1" black iron plumbing pipe. The bottom is made of a bunch of 2x4" laminated together with PL400 on the long side. I skirted it with 2x8s ? 2x10s?...can't remember. There's a set of tool box wheels under it so I can move it around if I need to. It blocks the door to my breaker panel when it's where I normally leave it, so that little feature was necessary.

Wood rack empty.jpg

Wood rack.jpg
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

8. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

2012Cvoguy (10-31-2019), chrisc (10-30-2019), Hidyn (11-02-2019), TheMerlin (11-20-2019)

Last year, we were out cutting a little firewood for the gun club fire pit.

Rottweilerboy running some rounds through the splitter.

Club wood 1.jpg

Some rounds on the trailer

Club wood 2.jpg

Yours truly sitting on top of the pile. I don't know how many cords we cut over a few weekends, but everybody who came out to give us a hand, your help was greatly appreciated.

Club wood 3.jpg

Ok...that's it for tonight guys. Show us YOUR stuff !
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

pitw (10-31-2019), TheMerlin (11-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    My home made wood rack both empty and full. The bars are 1" black iron plumbing pipe. The bottom is made of a bunch of 2x4" laminated together with PL400 on the long side. I skirted it with 2x8s ? 2x10s?...can't remember. There's a set of tool box wheels under it so I can move it around if I need to. It blocks the door to my breaker panel when it's where I normally leave it, so that little feature was necessary.
    that looks amazing!

I've got a Stihl gas saw but can't remember the model number off hand. I've been putting some thought into the Milwaukee M18 saw for around the yard. Has anyone tried the Milwaukee pole saw attachment for the weed wacker? I have some branches rubbing up against my roof that need trimming and the extra reach would sure be nice but they want as much for the attachment as for the whole weed wacker.
    Lifetime Member PAPRC, SHA
    Member NFA, NRA, SRAC, FMFG, SFC

Quote Originally Posted by MKivSupra View Post
    that looks amazing!
    Thank you. Sorry about the grainy pictures. I took them with a cheap phone that didnt like my led lighting.

They really arent that hard to make if you can live with standard lengths of threaded pipe. I have a set of threading dies and my lathe has just enough jam to turn them. I was able to make that one the exact length and height I wanted. All of the pipe fittings are just standard off the shelf stuff from any hardware or plumbing store.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

This year's stacks. 3 cords of spruce, birch, and lodgepole pine between the wood tent/shed thing and the pile outside.

20191025_110305.jpg

3 more cords of 100% lodgepole pine (wet) for next year. Its so nice being a year ahead and not having to scramble around looking for dry standing dead wood. That said, about 1/3rd of whats in that pile is exactly that. Hey...Ill take dry stuff if I come across it.

20191025_110248.jpg

Everything is set up on chep pallets and top covered. I put wood screws with 1/4" fender washers on them right through the tarp to hold down the sides. Then I throw a few split pieces on top to keep things from flapping if we get high winds.

The polls on the end are more 1" black iron plumbing pipe. I cut them about 7 ft long and drive them about 3 ft into the ground. The nice thing about using them is that you can reuse them over and over again. I used to use 2x4s sharpened on one end but they tend to break off after theyve been in the ground for a year....2 years use out of them at the most. That pipe just requires a few seconds of wiggling and it comes right out so theyre easy to move. Its also easier driving them into the ground with an 8 lb sledge while standing on a 5 gallon bucket.

I just wish I had room to store more. Sadly, I just cant seem to convince Mrs BSD to move to an acerage.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 10-30-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast