Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 Magnum fan

Canadian ForcesMember CdnVet0506's Avatar

.22 Magnum fan

Myself, I am a big fan. Inherited my dad's Winchester 9422M a few years back. Was his favourite small game rifle and I can see why after shooting it quite a bit the last year.

I've heard the arguments of the .22LR is cheaper and almost as powerful (although I see a HUGE difference), and if you want a step up go .17 HMR, but for some reason I love the round, and especially the rifle (and I don't find it all that expensive).

I know my grand dad (RIP) used to drop moose with a .22 magnum "back when I was young son".

Any other .22 Magnum fans out there?
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Canadian ForcesShort end of the Ban Stick normmus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CdnVet0506 View Post
    used to drop moose with a .22 magnum "back when I was young son".
    Hah, I get the same type of stories. Pretty much everyone I know who has a rifle of this calibre has it on their 'do not sell' list.

Senior Member OutdoorPursuitsCanada's Avatar
    Haven't shot it much but have read lots on the .22 WMR vs .17 HMR - generally it seem the WMR is the way to go for under 150 yards, past that the HMR is better. But thats just what I have read. Personally I have a .22 WMR on my "must buy soon" list.

Canadian ForcesMember CdnVet0506's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by normmus View Post
    Hah, I get the same type of stories. Pretty much everyone I know who has a rifle of this calibre has it on their 'do not sell' list.
    You're right about the Do Not Sell list. The 9422M will probably go in my Will!!!!!
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke 1729-1797

I've always wanted to shoot a .22WMR. We should take a day to demo both your .22WMR and my small .17HMR arrmament

I have my father's 9422M as he doesn't plink anymore, and it's a pretty great - except I don't like the stock iron sights. Never sell list for sure.
    I also have a shorty stevens in .22mag, topped with a red dot sight, killed a potential chicken stealing fox over the winter with it.
    Love the .22mag
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Senior Member OutdoorPursuitsCanada's Avatar
    hey lone-wolf, good to see you again!

I have a Single Six with a .22 WMR cylinder, whole lot of fun. If I ever run across one of the .22 mag 10/22s I'll bring that home too.

I've told this often, but I was fortunate enough to get to shoot a friend's heirloom 9422M several times. I really liked that gun. Handled nice and was deadly on gophers. A nice, satisfying "thhwap" when you poke one of the hole diggers with a hollow point or one of the new ballistic tips.

A lot of people poo-poo the .22mag simply because its not the newest or fastest on the block. However, it is still a good option and a good round.

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    Your welcome sir. If all pans out you will be shooting it more very soon here bullwhip

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast