Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    Despite Buffet's much hallowed advice I'll take a pass on buying Air Canada stock lol....
    Have the feds ruled out a bailout? Ya never know if they prop them up with enough billions.....

Quote Originally Posted by joe6167 View Post

This sounds like a rather interesting way of sticking it to the man...

People coordinating on reddit to jack up the price of stocks to screw over hedgefunds with short positions.

[Edit:] an update:

""The rules are setup so the plebs aren't allowed to win. Win you get close, this is what happens."

"A Kind of DDoS attack on a hedge fund"

[edit]: more updates:

The app has seen a huge increase in interest post-WallStreetBets.
    It’s the app that helped launch a revolution that upturned the old ways of Wall Street, and propelled an unloved, physical bricks and mortar retailer of video games into one of the world’s hottest stocks. Far from GameStop’s share price being the only beneficiary of the rally around it last month, the app hosting the community that helped take it to the moon is also a big winner of the last few weeks.

Mobile installs of Reddit grew by a staggering 43% in a single month between December 2020 and January 2021, as retail investors coalesced around the share trading tips offered on one of the site’s most controversial subreddits, r/WallStreetBets.

In a single month, the number of app installs grew from 4.6 million to 6.6 million, according to data from Finbold.

“Potential traders who missed on the GameStop rally looked forward to the next stock as recommendation content was being posted in the subreddit,” say Finbold. “The subreddit was also responsible for the surge in AMC and BlackBerry stocks. Some of Wall Street’s key players feared that the WallStreetBets craze might have long-lasting effects on the market. There were concerns that the buying frenzy could potentially destabilize the entire market and hurt overall confidence.”

Controversy reigns about Reddit

The subreddit in question is now under scrutiny as part of a wider investigation into the broader movement of the GameStop, AMC and BlackBerry stock prices. The US Department of Justice has requested information from some of the biggest retail stock trading apps, like Robinhood, in order to try and piece together what happened, and if any market manipulation took place – claims every participant strenuously denies.

The data analysed by Finbold also shows where some of the keenest investors may well have been located: analysis of Google search trends shows that Canada was the most interested to learn about “Reddit app” when searching for it, with Singapore coming a close second.

The United States, where GameStop is based, and where many of the most active participants in the traded markets were located, was third.
    The history of WallStreetBets is a complicated one. Established in 2012 by founder Jaime Rogozinski, it was designed as a place everyday investors could share trading tips that were seen as more aggressive than those exchanged on other forums that existed.

“To the moon” attitude

In part, that’s what may have caused so many everyday investors who got into the GameStop mania late in the day to have lost their money when the stock price of GameStop tanked. They may have overlooked the high risk, high reward attitude of those on the subreddit when compared to traditional investing advice.

They also invested in the stock when it was at its peak, and before significant app outages, due to issues with cash flow for those handling the trades, and automatic brakes put on certain stocks if they lurch significantly in price. Both these battered confidence in the ability to make money from the stock, meaning people ended up selling up their interests in GameStop and other “meme stocks”, taking the price plunging.

Finbold analysts reckon that although people may have been burned by their investments as a result of Reddit, they will still stick around to take part in the other communities on the app.

Like the scores of quick and easy trading apps that have seen significant rises in their users off the back of the stock trading mania, it seems likely that Reddit will remain a beneficiary for the months and years to come of the 2021 stock market bubble.
    https://cybernews.com/editorial/neve...s-on-the-rise/

UPDATE: https://money.tmx.com/en/quote/VM/ne...arium_Contrast

Things are developing faster than I expected. This should solidify the stock price. This rocket is just lifting off, I expect very good things from this, still a decent time to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Thanks M1917. Im dumping it Monday. Where did you get that report ?
    Did you dump it yet?

I now see it is now trading consistently at under $2.00 and still on a downward curve and I expect it will stabilize at around $1.75 -$1.85 and if gold drops to go to about $1.50.

I removed my buy order of 2000 at $1.35.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/440...ion-after-drop
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    Did you dump it yet?

I now see it is now trading consistently at under $2.00 and still on a downward curve and I expect it will stabilize at around $1.75 -$1.85 and if gold drops to go to about $1.50.

I removed my buy order of 2000 at $1.35.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/440...ion-after-drop
    Yep. Dumped it the morning after I wrote that post. Thanks for the advice. I bought Robex and as of close today it was up 14% from where I jumped in. Again...thank you.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

6. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

M1917 Enfield (02-17-2021)

Trying not to brag but my stock trading account is still going gangbusters and is up over 70% average return just since last November, and a 225% total return since 2019 after moving most of my stocks out from subpar performing Canadian ones (Trudeau effect) to US and international ones. I made over $20,000 in growth just today without even lifting a finger and just by logging in to check on a new trade that went through. If this keeps up I will be retiring to a warm, beach front southern location sooner than I thought. You're richer than you think!

Maybe I will splurge and trade in our daughters 2007 Hyundai on a slightly newer Hyundai model.

download (1).jpg
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can imagine.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By M1917 Enfield

awndray (02-23-2021)

GameStop is back it seems:

Successfully escaped this crazy quack s***hole country ALIVE - 12/26/2017!!!

Give your family tree a good shake and see if you have any dual citizenship that you can use to GTFO of this crazy quack s***hole country!

Those that were shorted on Gamestop lost, or stood to lose quite a bit of money. If I were a hedge fund I would jump in and buy up all the Gamestop stock and do a massive pump and dump to recover as much of my losses as I could.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    Trying not to brag but my stock trading account is still going gangbusters and is up over 70% average return just since last November, and a 225% total return since 2019 after moving most of my stocks out from subpar performing Canadian ones (Trudeau effect) to US and international ones. I made over $20,000 in growth just today without even lifting a finger and just by logging in to check on a new trade that went through. If this keeps up I will be retiring to a warm, beach front southern location sooner than I thought. You're richer than you think!

Maybe I will splurge and trade in our daughters 2007 Hyundai on a slightly newer Hyundai model.

download (1).jpg
    Well....you're doing a lot better than I am. Got any other suggestions on what to look into ? My Amazon stock hasnt done much since September. I bought some of that Robex stock, but Im still sitting on a decent amount of cash and I dont know where to put it. Yeah...Im fishing for free advice.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Well....you're doing a lot better than I am. Got any other suggestions on what to look into ? My Amazon stock hasnt done much since September. I bought some of that Robex stock, but Im still sitting on a decent amount of cash and I dont know where to put it. Yeah...Im fishing for free advice.
    Well, where do I start? it really is not something I can simply layout in one short reply, it is a result of a accumulation of a lifetime of experience and sound principles that is the most important aspect to successful investing. If you acquire these principles and experience's you can easily become much more wealthy than just relying on luck or good fortune. My biggest regret by far was when Apple was looking like going bankrupt in the early 1990's and I had the chance to buy stock at about $4.50 I thought long and hard about buying $5,000 worth of shares as talk was that Bill gates and Microsoft was going to bail them out, but I was at the time too afraid of maybe losing that $5,000 and instead just sat on my hands and put the same money into a decent utility company. I still made good money on that utility company stock but could you imagine where I would be if I bought and held that Apple stock at $4.50?

Anyhow, In layman's terms here, my secret is I tend to stay away from buying high priced stocks (those over $50 a share) and most low cost penny stocks (those under $0.05) unless I have a good feeling after doing my research that it is undervalued and likely to spike in price. I have made some really good profitable buys and sells on some penny stocks but I find that they are the exception to the rule.

Where I make my most profitable buys is in the mid range stocks ($1.00 to $50 a share), but only after I do my due diligence and background research. The most important aspect of investing for gain is to buy low and sell high. I will often acquire a stock and then straight away put a sell order out for the same stock at between 3-4 times my buy price (I do this especially with penny stocks) and have been amazed that often within a short time I have got that sell order come through and now I have a nice profit to use to buy more stocks.

Also you have to have two mindsets when buying stocks for growth. One is to buy stocks that you want to hold over time to underpin and grow your total holdings and the other are more risky stocks that maybe don't have long term prospects but are likely to spike and return great profit when you buy low and sell quick once they to start to rise. This is where you need discipline and the understanding that greed can get you into trouble and it is best to be happy to make maybe 3 to 4 times your buy price back when you can. These stocks are the ones that cause you the most lost sleep over and the quickest profit. I usually put a sell order in straight after buying these at a price 3-4 times my buy price and hope that the sale goes through when I'm not watching them as these stocks are the most risky.

Now as to what type of stocks I buy. I like to diversify my stock holdings over a wide group of industries and commodities as well as markets and don't like to have my eggs all in the one basket so to speak. I also found that my decision to move a large part of my stock holdings out of Canadian equities into US and international ones really paid off as my US investments have really taken off.

Another tactic I have when looking for a good stock to buy is to look at whether it pays a decent dividend (my favorite type of stock), this generally tells me that the company is profitable enough to keep growing and if it is a stock I want to hold during market lows it still returns me money on my initial investment and I usually set them up as a DRIP as soon as possible. I have some very safe and great dividend paying S&P 500 stocks that I bought real cheap that are now paying me a annual dividend between 12 to 16%. These I do not want to sell and use to underpin and grow my stock holdings for the long term.

So, in summary, this is a brief explanation of my process (I have left some things out as I do not know your situation or risk/reward tolerance) and really the best thing I find is to tailor my advice to those I know more about and their full financial situation.

If you're ever in the NCR for a few days, give me a shout out and I would be happy to sit down over a coffee/beer or two to help you out when I have a better understanding of your situation, timelines, preferences and needs.

I'm sure you already know a lot of what I have written here and I have a feeling your more than smart enough already to pick up the game and do well. Good luck!

13. The Following User Liked This Post By M1917 Enfield

awndray (02-26-2021)