Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    They dont hand out gunsmith licensing however they do control getting your business licensing for firearms. If you dont meet their ever changing standards, then good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

Oh, I see. If one were to limit himself to Non-Restricted work, does one have to involve the CFO? I mean, a backyard mechanic doesn't necessarily need to be a certified mechanic, right? IF the only problem is the CRA, get a GST number and voila. No? Unless of course you plan on selling firearms, then it's a different story.

Canadian ForcesMember
    they have been doin it for years contact the cfo and they will send you a package at least 20 pages that you must comply with and you have to pay for everything licence to transport licence to work on restricted licenc to test licence to restore--you get the idea-- you must have alarm system with live monitoring,, the list goes on when your done all that they cfo will come knockin on your door for a compliance inspection if they recomommend changes you must comply then if they are satisfied they will grant your licence detailing all you are allowed to do and it must be posted next to your business licence--hell its gettin so bad joe q public cant even buy his own safety to replace it parts like that can only be bought by gunsmiths now,,a shop in london ont sold a safety button for a mossberg to a customer who was uc from cfo--his licence is gone--
    PLEASE DONT HATE ME I WENT THROUGH ALL THIS SHIT TO GET MY LICENCE,I WAS JUST ANSWERING A QUESTION AND TRYING TO HELP,, any questions please ask i will help in any way i can,,,i weent through all the hoops and am soo] busy its just stupid i dont sell firearms but never have less than 20 in my shop for repair or restoration darren cropper o/o backwoods gunsmithing cerakote ontario

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Bwgunsmith

Graham (01-02-2017)

Gotcha. No need to shout. It was hard enough trying to make sense of your run-on sentence

Sounds like a tough gig to get into. Good luck, webster!

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwgunsmith View Post
    they have been doin it for years contact the cfo and they will send you a package at least 20 pages that you must comply with and you have to pay for everything licence to transport licence to work on restricted licenc to test licence to restore--you get the idea-- you must have alarm system with live monitoring,, the list goes on when your done all that they cfo will come knockin on your door for a compliance inspection if they recomommend changes you must comply then if they are satisfied they will grant your licence detailing all you are allowed to do and it must be posted next to your business licence--hell its gettin so bad joe q public cant even buy his own safety to replace it parts like that can only be bought by gunsmiths now,,a shop in london ont sold a safety button for a mossberg to a customer who was uc from cfo--his licence is gone--
    PLEASE DONT HATE ME I WENT THROUGH ALL THIS SHIT TO GET MY LICENCE,I WAS JUST ANSWERING A QUESTION AND TRYING TO HELP,, any questions please ask i will help in any way i can,,,i weent through all the hoops and am soo] busy its just stupid i dont sell firearms but never have less than 20 in my shop for repair or restoration darren cropper o/o backwoods gunsmithing cerakote ontario
    All of the above. When Jon and I were going through for our dealers license I made a few inquiries and decided it wasn't worth the headaches unless I decided to do it full time.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Canadian ForcesMember
    Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Gotcha. No need to shout. It was hard enough trying to make sense of your run-on sentence

Sounds like a tough gig to get into. Good luck, webster!
    didnt mean to shout anything with firearms even non restricted needs your federal firearms business licence

Your input is very much appreciated, Bwgunsmith. I'd be looking to get on with a business that's already started, since I'm not in a position to start my own at the moment, so the hoops are less of a concern for me personally. It's good to know what I need to be aware of going in, though.
    I like guns.

Canadian ForcesMember
    best of luck any questions pm me and we will talk we need smiths in canada theres less than 40 throughout the country and maybe only a dozen in ontario ,our fun never ends once your going it can be a fairly smooth ride just follow the letter of the law so you dont get burned..check all pals etc,,, again best of luck

Canadian ForcesTransplanted Nutz Cavs42's Avatar
    As for CF gun plumber, you do not need any pervious training, that's one thing the military excells at. You would qualify on everything that your respective element uses, and you would be trained to service it. I would not call weapons techs gunsmiths though. They are very well versed in repairing weapons and replacing parts down to the smallest spring, but they do not "make" guns.
    Think methamphetamine's addictive? Try 3-Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavs42 View Post
    As for CF gun plumber, you do not need any pervious training, that's one thing the military excells at. You would qualify on everything that your respective element uses, and you would be trained to service it. I would not call weapons techs gunsmiths though. They are very well versed in repairing weapons and replacing parts down to the smallest spring, but they do not "make" guns.
    Plus field kitchens, camp stoves/lanterns, safes.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Tex Critter

Graham (01-02-2017)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast