Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Joss View Post
    Hi there,

I'm not currently a gun owner. I'm not, nor have ever really been against guns, but probably thought along the lines of most urban Canadians.. "Whats so wrong with registry? How could restricting firearms be bad... less guns less gun crime" etc. etc. Not much thought put into it.

Until today....

My wife expressed interest in shooting so I spent some time today looking into it. I came across the information on High River then the Swiss Arms reclassification. I also came across a video of an older guy who had a couple hooligans trying to burn down his house. He and his wife inside. It was rural and police were going to be awhile to respond. He fired a warning shot off of his porch to scare the hooligans away and was later charged... WHAT? Seemed to me his life was in imminent danger... He has no right to protect himself when it was confirmed the police could not get there in time to deal with the situation? I'm really surprised, shocked really.

I am absolutely appalled that a law abiding citizen can purchase a legal product, sold legally to them and over night have it become illegal and place people in a position of having a 3 year jail sentence imposed on them within 30 days (I know there is amnesty now). I'm appalled that their is NO compensation to the owners for this.... I'm dismayed that the police can knock in the dorr and take legal property away from law abiding citizen when faced with one of the worst situations they could be in!

Wow... eyes opened now.

IMHO, it seems there are many things wrong with what is happening in Canada regarding firearms and I think any opposition to this should be supported.

So I paid my $45 and joined the NFA.

Don't know if I will ever own a gun, but I think as long as this nonsense is happening in our country I will support those who are fighting to oppose it.

Joss

Just to add:
    Here are some thoughts from a newbie around some arguments I came across today, have a look and correct me if I'm wrong:

Regarding The idea of a registry for restricted guns ....
    "your don't need an assault weapon or handgun, these devices are designed to kill humans not hunt or target shoot, owning one implies you are up to no good.... YOU DON'T NEED IT to hunt so it should be illegal

A Porsche is designed to drive well over the speed limit. Driving over the speed limit is illegal and can be lethal. It is essentially designed to break traffic laws... buying a Porsche doesn't imply I am going to break the law. It is assumed I will obey the law, even if I have the potential to break it; thus there is no special handling of a Porsche owner... no special licence opposed to say someone who drives a Camry. Porsche owners are not treated differently because of their interest in owning a car designed to perform outside the law... A Porsche owner doesn't NEED a fast car, but they have the right to own one by the same laws as the Camry owner. So if I want to shoot a 100 bullets a second out of a gun which is big, black and scary why can't I? Why isn't assumed that an owner of a full-auto rifle, or even just a handgun owner will also stay with in the law, fire where it is safe and legal? Having the potential to break the law and then not breaking the law is what freedom is... removing the potential to break the law from citizens is tyranny (I know this is hard for some - freedom is not freedom unless the potential to break laws is present - anything else is oppression)

Black guns, military guns are big and scary looking, designed for military purpose and thus somehow more dangerous then a hunting rifle.

It seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, a firearms is designed to propel a projectile with deadly force regardless of how it looks. A semi-auto hunting rifle is no safer then a semi-auto assault rifle... If I'm correct the inner workings of a mini-14 ranch gun is the same as a mini-14 tactical gun (been looking at guns today too). Both function the same, shoot the same amo so why is one restricted - because its black? because the wooden bits are different... it doesn't make sense. And how does the appearance of a gun make it more dangerous? In fact the the ruggedness of a military gun may show some benefit in hunting. Seems what the military looks for in its outdoor gear is pretty similar in what I want in my outdoor gear. So I could see some logic as to why someone would want a military gun for hunting... am I wrong?

Prohibited or restricted even though it fits the definition of a non-restricted rifle (meaning function and barrel length)
    I get the idea of prohibiting guns which are easily concealable or full-auto... so a criteria based on a gun's length and mechanics makes sense to me. But there are so many prohibited/restricted guns which fit the description for a non-restricted rifle which are prohibited... I'm guessing because they can be modified. Modifying it would be illegal so again how does owning the gun imply you are going to break the law? It shouldn't in a free country.

Why are there not more specific definitions for the classifications which the government then has to stick to? and what is wrong with sticking to the current definitions (make sense to me) without all of these exceptions?

It seems to me if someone is going to commit a crime with a gun then no laws will prevent them from committing the crime. Criminals by definition are not willing to follow the law, so more restrictions only affect the people who are willing to abide by the law. So how does preventing ownership of some types of guns prevent gun crime? I don't think it could.
    Welcome to GOC! I grew up on a farm with firearms that we used for varmint control and recreational hunting. Now that I am older, I have good intentions of going ground hog hunting every year, but never seem to have the time; so instead, I shoot a lot of paper at my local club! Great fun; can be competitive if you want it to be.

I, personally have never been in a situation or felt a need to use a firearm to defend myself, but I would have no objection to anyone doing so if the need arose.

Handing out money on a street corner to buy votes is against the law; making silly laws to by votes from special interest groups is OK. Such is why we have laws that make not sense and do nothing to prevent crime.

So was this Josh a? Seems funny he never came back!

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Welcome to GOC! I grew up on a farm with firearms that we used for varmint control and recreational hunting. Now that I am older, I have good intentions of going ground hog hunting every year, but never seem to have the time; so instead, I shoot a lot of paper at my local club! Great fun; can be competitive if you want it to be.

I, personally have never been in a situation or felt a need to use a firearm to defend myself, but I would have no objection to anyone doing so if the need arose.

Handing out money on a street corner to buy votes is against the law; making silly laws to by votes from special interest groups is OK. Such is why we have laws that make not sense and do nothing to prevent crime.
    You know it's a 5 year old thread , and OP hasn't returned since posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Joss View Post
    Hi there,

I'm not currently a gun owner. I'm not, nor have ever really been against guns, but probably thought along the lines of most urban Canadians.. "Whats so wrong with registry? How could restricting firearms be bad... less guns less gun crime" etc. etc. Not much thought put into it.

Until today....

My wife expressed interest in shooting so I spent some time today looking into it.

ahum...she's a keeper for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

holy necro thread batman.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123