Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Kind of ironic that some guys have to hunt all over the place just to find one turkey. Then there are those turkeys who come hunting for you . . . Where you live even.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell

I have never even seen a wild turkey before! Sure would like to try hunting them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're all over the place here when they're out of season. They're smarter than some might think.

http://m.ottawasun.com/2013/03/11/ga...sing-barrhaven
    http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/...257c%257c%257c

Quote Originally Posted by OEM View Post
    I have never even seen a wild turkey before! Sure would like to try hunting them!
    We were camping in California in April. We saw lots of them. The ranger at one site told us they had an albino turkey that showed up every year about that time. Didn't see it but it was interesting to see them skulking around. Very wary birds. I followed one to get a better pic and it disappeared in some grass, which was not as high as her. I got closer and saw her basically crawling through the grass and then she popped up quite a distance away. I would love to get the chance to hunt them as well. Impressed with the birds you have harvested there, SuperBrad. Looks like you have a good setup.

- George Orwell

Thanks.... my technique has changed lots over the years.... I am almost to the point where I don't even bother getting up early anymore and prefer to head out around 7 am and run and gun for my birds.... walk slow and quiet through the woods and make a lonely hen call about every thirty steps or so..... When I get one to gobble back I close the gap until I feel they are about 100 yards away or so and find myself a nice place to sit and try and call it in the rest of the way..... The second one I shot this spring came up over a ridge at me and I was sitting with my back against a tree, shotgun at the ready to where his gobble came from....

Nothing more heartpounding then hearing a full volume gobble that close pointe din your direction.... When he popped his head up over the ridge and I pulled the trigger he was at 12 paces.... lol.... neither one of us saw that one coming..... Fall season is here soon .... got the fish crisp and cast iron pan ready to go!
    It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by superbrad View Post
    Thanks.... my technique has changed lots over the years.... I am almost to the point where I don't even bother getting up early anymore and prefer to head out around 7 am and run and gun for my birds.... walk slow and quiet through the woods and make a lonely hen call about every thirty steps or so..... When I get one to gobble back I close the gap until I feel they are about 100 yards away or so and find myself a nice place to sit and try and call it in the rest of the way..... The second one I shot this spring came up over a ridge at me and I was sitting with my back against a tree, shotgun at the ready to where his gobble came from....

Nothing more heartpounding then hearing a full volume gobble that close pointe din your direction.... When he popped his head up over the ridge and I pulled the trigger he was at 12 paces.... lol.... neither one of us saw that one coming..... Fall season is here soon .... got the fish crisp and cast iron pan ready to go!
    Is it ok to ask where you hunt them? Understand if you don't want to answer. I don't know if it's like fishing . . .
    - George Orwell

Lol.... well... considering I am in Ontario and you are a few provinces away I think I am good.... I hunt them in Glengarry Ontario in the woods around my place... Also have permission on a few local cornfields....

I was late at picking up a camera, but it's better than never. I just set it up for a trial run last weekend and picked up the card this morning to see how it worked. Not too shabby for out-of-the-box presets. I'm even more happy that I caught some turkeys on the move.

SUNP0007.JPG SUNP0008.JPG SUNP0010.JPG SUNP0011.JPG

Taken from a Stealth Cam Skout-7
    Last edited by awndray; 10-17-2014 at 08:12 AM.

We need a trail cam pics thread.....

Like this one.
    http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/show...e-Thread/page4

Could also use the wildlife pics taken by you thread.
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast