Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feral Pigs

Martyr of Traditional Anarchy Mad Hatter's Avatar

Feral Pigs

So where does one go in Alberta to hunt these feral pigs, aka wild boar? I understand they have a bounty on them as well?
    Our gun laws are so strict that it's like having a complete gun ban but with Vaseline...

You guys out west get to have too much fun shooting problematic animals.

I always tell my kids that the only time it's okay to kill an animal is if you're going to eat it, or if it is damaging property. Shy of the odd skunk/raccoon/crow, Ontario is pretty docile, but you guys out there have invasive feral pigs going cracy, prairie dog holes causing broken legs, etc.

All sorts of things that you can shoot guilt-free, yet all I can do it look at the squirel in my back yard and say "No, we shouldn't shoot that thing just for fun". However, if I saw a tusked boar in my backyard, I'd shoot the thing in a heartbeat, bylaws be damned. No worth the risk of a kid getting gutted.

Accidental double-post, please delete.
    Last edited by Petamocto; 10-16-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Martyr of Traditional Anarchy Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    You guys out west get to have too much fun shooting problematic animals.

I always tell my kids that the only time it's okay to kill an animal is if you're going to eat it, or if it is damaging property. Shy of the odd skunk/raccoon/crow, Ontario is pretty docile, but you guys out there have invasive feral pigs going crazy, prairie dog holes causing broken legs, etc.

All sorts of things that you can shoot guilt-free, yet all I can do it look at the squirel in my back yard and say "No, we shouldn't shoot that thing just for fun". However, if I saw a tusked boar in my backyard, I'd shoot the thing in a heartbeat, bylaws be damned. Not worth the risk of a kid getting gutted.
    Exactly. Food! What could be better than wild pig on the table. That's my intent. Just thinking about the no rules no tag year round aspects. And maybe some money back for my gas/ammo. As for the squirrel - defined as a fur bearing animal in Alberta only to be taken by licensed trappers.
    Our gun laws are so strict that it's like having a complete gun ban but with Vaseline...

West Central. Capital region. But they are pretty much everywhere now. The largest bounty is in Parkland County - Drayton area. They tacked on another $50 to the provincial one. Mayerthorpe and south to Rocky Mtn House and east to Edmonton. Try the Wild Boar Canada hunting App. They have a social setup that shows uploaded kills/sightings etc.
    There is never going to be an even playing field, so try harder.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie Longhorn View Post
    West Central. Capital region. But they are pretty much everywhere now. The largest bounty is in Parkland County - Drayton area. They tacked on another $50 to the provincial one. Mayerthorpe and south to Rocky Mtn House and east to Edmonton. Try the Wild Boar Canada hunting App. They have a social setup that shows uploaded kills/sightings etc.
    Parkland County ? I thought the whole thing was a no guns for hunting zone. I have a buddy with a farm there, and hes not even allowed to shoot on his own land. Be damned if Im going after wild piggys with a bow.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

^How about a spear?
    Maybe off a quad or dirtbike? Mad Max boar jousting type-thing?
    CSSA CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    ^How about a spear?
    Maybe off a quad or dirtbike? Mad Max boar jousting type-thing?
    I met a marine in Arizona who hunts javelina with a Kabar. Crazy guy, but very interesting. Sure knew the habits of javelina.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Parkland County ? I thought the whole thing was a no guns for hunting zone. I have a buddy with a farm there, and hes not even allowed to shoot on his own land. Be damned if Im going after wild piggys with a bow.
    Not sure about Parkland, but Strathcona County is no-go for rifle hunting. I just know they have a bounty. Pigs with a bow would be difficult.
    Wait - Google-fu is strong.

http://www.parklandcounty.com/Reside...PageMode=Print

http://www.parklandcounty.com/Assets...aw+11-2011.pdf

So- parks, hamlets, and subdivisions plus those defined areas. They are only two townships, I think. I didn't look at a map where they are. Anywhere else seems cool. All other laws, governances, rules, prohibitions, suggestions, good ideas, still apply.
    There is never going to be an even playing field, so try harder.

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast