Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Goddamnit! 3 days straight with nothing. First morning out I had a jake hooked but he got spooked by my buddy's tom decoy. Today, four Cree Indians came from northern Quebec to shoot up the whole town for geese and scared everything away for miles. Bastards bagged 100 just this morning. Turkeys flocked off, out of reach, to land where I don't have access.
    Last edited by awndray; 05-03-2013 at 08:06 PM.

That sucks!

After three days of dedicated turkey hunting, we came out empty-handed. My hunting buddy goes to the field to pick up our decoys, and bags a jake within three minutes. Here's his son showing off dad's harvest.

OK..... here is a bit of an update for some fall turkey hunting tips.....

This time of year, the Toms are not interested in the hens and have formed small "bachelor" groups of 3 - 4 birds each. Typically, for fall turkey hunting, you are after a chance tom or a mature hen.

As tom's are birds of chance this time of year your best bet is to target a mature hen because these birds can actually be called in this time of year.... The first thing you want to do is find a spot where there has been lots of turkey activity... In the fall, turkeys move towards hardwoods and areas where there are fruit trees available... find a nice hardwood bush and look for turkey traffic in the form of turkey scratchings..... Turkey's will travel through the hardwoods constantly pecking and scratching just like barnyard chickens..... two of their favorite foods this time of year are acorns and beech nuts (which they swallow whole)..... Look for scratchings and even shed feathers to find where your flock has been actively eating.....

Now, once you find that turkey trail there are a couple of different things you can do to maximize your success.... the first is to set up trail cameras and catch the turkeys in action.... This can be difficult at times because turkeys do not walk the same trails every day like deer do.... their daily routine may or may not put them right in front of your camera.... If you do get a flock on cam, take note of the time of day and arrive at the site at least two hours early to wait for their arrival.....

Another way (and in my opinion the best way) to get that fall bird is to bust up the flock..... Walk slowly and quietly through the hardwoods and listen for the birds chirping, clucking and scratching through the leaves..... a small turkey flock walking through a hardwood bush makes a lot of noise..... In the fall, hens are in maternal groups with a large amount of this years poults in tow.... The poults are now about 2/3 the size of a mature hen and are capable of surviving on their own..... The idea of busting up the flock is to run into it so that the birds scatter in every direction...... I personally like to run at them like a raving lunatic and scream turkey based obscenities at them..... You can do whatever you like to spook them but make sure they are good and spooked so they run a distance.....

Now that the flock is busted up (and somewhat offended by the obscenities), they will be looking to regroup, the trick is to find a good spot for concealment and make an assembly call to lure the flock back to your location.... here is a good example of an assembly call....

http://www.nwtf.org/audio/new/Old_Hen_Assembly_Yelp.mp3

Now the fun begins.... remember that you just scattered the damn birds everywhere so you never really know what direction they are going to come from.... I have had poults run across my legs while sitting and had hens fly down from the very tree I had my back against...... Make sure to move very slowly when you do see a shooter ans the rest of the flock will alert their turkey buddies to your presence...... Wait for that nice big mature hen to come into sight and focus only on one bird while slowly moving the gun into position......

Fall turkey hunting can be very challenging and rewarding...... Nothing quite like that dressed out bird basted in maple and bacon served on a cold fall day......

It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

I am very excited for the season to begin here in Ontario.

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    This made me laugh

Has anyone tried this?

I'll be doing the Turkey course and hopefully get my tags for the fall hunt. Are there any Ottawa valley hunters willing to take an apprentice?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234