Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First AR15 Build what receivers to get?

Hi guys =)! I'm slowly building my first AR15 (well if you can call stock piling the parts under the bed building ) I want it to be with 20" bbl and rifle length gas system as intended by the original design of Mr.Stoner, highest possible reliability and flawless function are paramount to me. What lower and upper would be the best for that build, i looked at Armalite, Spikes, ATRS, Vltor, and possibly buying LMT and chopping it for part parts. At the very beginning i wanted to go with Armilite, just for the name and history, but i got to many people saying that their quality is not on pair anymore. Spikes have a very nice logo, and as one reputable person said, there nothing bad said about them, but there just very little info and reports on them an di could figure out if they are mil-spec or not, so as with Armalite (as i figured they are not milspec, am i wrong?) ATR lowers are nice + custom markings option makes them even niciers, i was thinking of getting a Vltor or Spikes Tactical Bio-hazard Upper to go with it. And it be sweet to get, matching set of Vltor receivers, but that large mag release button is something i can not live with. LMT is my last resort, i dont want to chop beautiful ( by that i mean reliable =P ) rifle to satisfy my inner bubba. What would you guys do? They whole thing with me mentioning milspec alot, is that i want part to work together with no problems, i know Vltor and ATR are not milspec,they just probably exceed, it but i know they are good quality part and more likely have ant fitting problem, my goal with this build - maximum reliability, kinda Ak47 of ARs ))))

Best Regards!

Red Deer Shooting Centre
    Just stick to reputable US manufacturers and you'll be fine, it's going to come down to availability more then anything.
    Red Deer Shooting Centre
    403-347-2232
    www.rdsc.ca
    info@rdsc.ca
    SHOP ONLINE!

Currently I have a complete LMT, its a great gun that shoots better then i do.

Next build i would most likely run the way of Vltor, I like the products they carry and they are dependable forsure.

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

You can buy stripped lower + upper combinations, that are fitted for each other, of various brands. Though it wouldn't be my first choice, NEA comes to mind. If you check out Questar you can find sets, if you want to move way up in price, ATRS out of Calgary does sets. There are other retailers who offer sets, the names escape me offhand.

That wasn't meant to be a big slag of NEA by the way - my NEA upper is really accurate. I just think I would prefer 7-series aluminum rather than the 6061 they use.

Besides different aluminum used, there is also an ongoing debate about forged vs machined from a block. I did a big lower comparison over on CGN, listing about 3 dozen manufacturers and the features and benefits of each. I guess I could copy it over to here.
    What? I can have a SIGNATURE?

I also started my first build yesterday. Installed the LPK in under an hour, with no special tools. Just a pair of water pump pliers, with black tape. A hammer, and a large bolt for a punch.

All worked out great, no scratches.

I am also going for the 20 inch BBL, A2 rifle for my first build.

Now i just have to get the A2 stock set, lower is done.

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/show...s-and-Features <--- my earlier research, about a month ago.

Thanks for replies guys! Crap! there just too many choices out there! Way to many, I kinda wanted it to a actual build where i can put everything from scratch together, from good quality parts, and i still bear the idea of getting Armalite combo, but there just to many bad reviews (Redhouse +1 =( ) same story with Spikes, LMT doesnt sell receivers separately, so the only option left is ATR with Vltor on top, but that will make me dumping bunch of money in to it, because i know ill ask for Umbrella Corporation logo on a lower from ATRS , and a quad rail, parabellum charging handle and and hole bunch of other stuff just for looks ))))

Quote Originally Posted by Redhouse View Post
    That wasn't meant to be a big slag of NEA by the way - my NEA upper is really accurate. I just think I would prefer 7-series aluminum rather than the 6061 they use.

Besides different aluminum used, there is also an ongoing debate about forged vs machined from a block. I did a big lower comparison over on CGN, listing about 3 dozen manufacturers and the features and benefits of each. I guess I could copy it over to here.

There's plenty of top quality existing companies using 6061 in AR receivers. I don't think that anyone would question their decision for using them, nor the track record of custom billet receivers made from many manufacturers.

Using 6061

Vltor DDLES VM-1 T1 MUR Upper/Lower Receivers - 6061
    Daniel Defence Big Hole Upper/(Lower?)Receiver - 6061
    DPMS Panther .308 Upper/Lower Receiver - 6061
    Sun Devil MFG 5.56 and .308 Upper/Lower Receivers - 6061
    GTVC MFG Lower Receivers - 6061
    TKS Engineering Upper/Lower Receivers - 6061
    C3 Defense Upper/Lower Receivers - 6061

+ Likely a few other Billet manufacturers using 6061 and marketing it as 7075 to avoid flash fires. Almost everyone uses 6061 for rails, accessories, etc.. many components that take much more abuse than a AR receiver 'shell'.

NEA is certainly the only Canadian company doing it, but not the only AR manufacturer.
    Last edited by Dave; 05-03-2012 at 09:07 AM.

EM Precision Rifles Schecter 81's Avatar
    HERA Arms makes a nice complete upper/lower combo for about $1100. You can get the from Milarm or Freedom Ventures. VERY nice units, great machining lines. Comes with MOE grip. Complete milspec lower parts kit and BCG. I have a build coming out of Milarm using one. I swapped the CAR stock for a UBR. Used the HERA 15" rail. DPMS barrel. Should be picking it up tonight. Milarm swapped the upper with the forward assist out to the slab side at no cost too. Check it out. [/IMG]http://www.hera-arms.com/images/IMG_8285entw_copy.jpg

Make sure you post up a thread when you get it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast