Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .223 reloads

.223 reloads

Well I know this topic has been covered more times than a spray booth floor, but these are what I loaded with and without success, all once shot Remington umc brass, tumbled and case trimmed before reloading and strong n.e and I was facing south wind 30 km with gusts my guess upwards to 40km and all at 100 yards. Gun weatherby varmit .223 bolt action with varmit barrell and a bi pod and mounted with a vortex diamond back 4-12x40
    My over all lengths varied and I don't know why. I measured every single one

Top 4 loads

27gr varget cci br4 52gr hornady bthp match oal:2.259 not crimped

26 gr varget cci br4 53 gr hornady vmax oal:2.256-2.260 crimped

26.5 varget cci 450 52gr hornady bthp match oal: 2.250-2.258 not crimped

27 gr varget cci 450 52gr hornady bthp match oal:2.259 not crimped
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now with wind my shots all things considered were ok with waving around and I didn't let barrell cool between shots did all with 2 sets of 4.
    You will notice double hole touching, i'm going to reload these combos again and try again this weekend if the wind dies down, only had 1 calm day so far in last month and a bit when going shooting

Not sure how to upload pictures yet I'll toy with it tomorrow
    Last edited by iroczu; 04-28-2014 at 09:55 PM.

k got it figured out
    Last edited by iroczu; 04-28-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Light bullets, with the way it's been blowing around here lately, I'd say not bad!

For the differing lengths, just for giggles measure a handful of the bullets.
    I've found with Hornady bullets quite often the overall length of the bullets vary.
    If you pull the plug out of your seating die and place it over the tip of the bullet, then measure from the base of the bullet to the end of the plug, you might be suprised at how consistent they are. The seater plug will sit at the same spot of the ogive, not the tip.The nose lengths/profiles vary a bit, but it doesn't seem to effect their performance.

I never thought of that but I did check the length just in the bthp vs vmax and the vmax is a tad longer due to the insert but I didn't measure it just a side by side comparison I have a picture of it just not at home to upload it, but ya besides the wind I think I would have had a good group going on, I tested 3 different loads before these ones and they were bad lol started at 24GR AND worked up

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Have you tried using a bullet collimator? RCBS makes one, they aren't expensive. It measures your COAL at the ogive. The one I have measures a number of basic callibres so it's very versatile. It is hard to get an exact measurement from tip to the cartridge base. This way is much more consistent. Just a thought.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell

That's basically what I've done, but on the tightwad-cheapskate model.
    Take a seater plug from another die to slip over the bullet's tip.
    I've recorded what plug and OAL works and go back to it.
    Once I started measure the Cartridge OAL like this, and found that every set of dies I have seat consistently to +/- 0.001", I really stopped worrying so much about lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    Want to re test before saying it's definitely a good recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Have you tried using a bullet collimator? RCBS makes one, they aren't expensive. It measures your COAL at the ogive. The one I have measures a number of basic callibres so it's very versatile. It is hard to get an exact measurement from tip to the cartridge base. This way is much more consistent. Just a thought.
    I hear you on options, just atm taking everything on baby steps to what I buy since budget is always in mind only other option I have to counter act the height of the plastic tip is to measure it and offset the swatting depth to that since it would be resting neutral in the lands anyways

What is the twist on that barrel?
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast