Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Senior Member TV-PressPass's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cow-town
    Posts
    1,602

    PDF of the RCMP's Briefing to Steven Blaney Before the Reclassification

    It looks like CBC corrected the 5 year vs 2 year amnesty error I called them out on, and published this little gem:

    http://tv-presspass.com/blaney-briefing-notes-swiss-arms.pdf

    The RCMP's briefing to the Public Safety Minister regarding the Swiss Arms reclassification.

    There is a particularly interesting segment of "strategic considerations."

    I would encourage all Canadian gun owners to read this document carefully, as it is at least one of the documents that led to this decision.

    Note some of the key names have been redacted, but little else.

    So now we know a little bit more about what Blaney knew.

    Also interesting that the weird phrase about fully automatics we were hassling CBC for came straight from the RCMP.

    And then there's this:


  2. #2
    Senior Member Strewth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chilliwack BC
    Posts
    8,524
    Well, I appreciate them saying that it would be operationally difficult to notify all the owners of NR Swiss Arms thereby hopefully encouraging the re-re-classification of these firearms.

    Nice find TVPP, thanks for posting it up.
    CSSA CCFR

  3. #3
    Senior Member Foxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    17,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    Well, I appreciate them saying that it would be operationally difficult to notify all the owners of NR Swiss Arms thereby hopefully encouraging the re-re-classification of these firearms.

    Nice find TVPP, thanks for posting it up.
    I wouldn't appreciate it too much - they've been trying to float it as proof that we should go back to a long gun registry. "oh if only these guns were ALL registered we could notify everyone and protect them against accidentally being criminals!"

  4. #4
    Senior Member killer kane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    REDmonton
    Posts
    5,319
    Too late, I'm thinking that compliance would be even lower than last tme. As well as a whole lot more guns getting buried.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West of some, East of others - Canada
    Posts
    287
    And there's this little gem "In 2012, the RCMP technically reviewed 3,793 new types/models of firearms in order to form an expert classification opinion and register where appropriate"

    3,793?

    In 2012 alone?

    Really?

    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly??

    Simple math tells us that's 14.588 different firearms reviewed per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks straight. No holidays. No statutory days off. No holidays. Nothing. Sweat Camp CFC is what that place must be called.

    How many techies work at the CFC lab? 2? 5? 10?

    We're talking about full take down inspection here right....

    Sigh.

    Not only do they take us for complete f'in idiots, but our elected officials as well, not that's very surprising coming from ol' Bill at the CFC though.
    EOSC Member
    Proud CSSA & NRA Member

    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

    John Stuart Mill

  6. #6
    Senior Member Waynetheman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    And there's this little gem "In 2012, the RCMP technically reviewed 3,793 new types/models of firearms in order to form an expert classification opinion and register where appropriate"

    3,793?

    In 2012 alone?

    Really?

    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly??

    Simple math tells us that's 14.588 different firearms reviewed per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks straight. No holidays. No statutory days off. No holidays. Nothing. Sweat Camp CFC is what that place must be called.

    How many techies work at the CFC lab? 2? 5? 10?

    We're talking about full take down inspection here right....

    Sigh.

    Not only do they take us for complete f'in idiots, but our elected officials as well, not that's very surprising coming from ol' Bill at the CFC though.
    No kidding. Since everytime there's a new interesting gun on the horizon it takes like 2 years for classification, I'm gonna have to go ahead and call bs on their number.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dorion, Qc
    Posts
    1,591
    Sounds like they're going thru the whole list of non-prohib firearms that look scary (thru a backdoor) to see how they could reclassify them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    And there's this little gem "In 2012, the RCMP technically reviewed 3,793 new types/models of firearms in order to form an expert classification opinion and register where appropriate"

    3,793?

    In 2012 alone?

    Really?

    Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly??

    Simple math tells us that's 14.588 different firearms reviewed per day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks straight. No holidays. No statutory days off. No holidays. Nothing. Sweat Camp CFC is what that place must be called.

    How many techies work at the CFC lab? 2? 5? 10?

    We're talking about full take down inspection here right....

    Sigh.

    Not only do they take us for complete f'in idiots, but our elected officials as well, not that's very surprising coming from ol' Bill at the CFC though.

  8. #8
    Member Mr. Lahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSmith View Post
    Sounds like they're going thru the whole list of non-prohib firearms that look scary (thru a backdoor) to see how they could reclassify them.
    Um no. Every new gun that someone tries to import or sell in Canada needs to be classified, because law enforcement needs to know which of the three classifications every gun falls under. There are probably oodles of hunting rifles that get classified as non-prohib in bunches. They probably do dozens of models at a time, and for most non-tactical rifles or shotguns, they make a decision based on the technical documentation rather than a minute disassembly and verification of every part to make sure that the latest shotgun cannot be converted to full-auto.

  9. #9
    Senior Member harbl_the_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Future Republic of Western Canada
    Posts
    6,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lahey View Post
    Um no. Every new gun that someone tries to import or sell in Canada needs to be classified, because law enforcement needs to know which of the three classifications every gun falls under. There are probably oodles of hunting rifles that get classified as non-prohib in bunches. They probably do dozens of models at a time, and for most non-tactical rifles or shotguns, they make a decision based on the technical documentation rather than a minute disassembly and verification of every part to make sure that the latest shotgun cannot be converted to full-auto.
    Sounds like pointless make work to me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member harbl_the_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Future Republic of Western Canada
    Posts
    6,061
    That blurb about "could not be registered or legally imported into Canada, preventing thousands of private purchaes or transfers" is government burecrat-ese for "my job serves no legitimate purpose, but if I throw scary sounding numbers out and puff up how important I am, it might seem like I actually do something useful that justifies the salary I recieve."

    Same thing goes with anything pertaining to "public safety."
    Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 05-14-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Steven Blaney joining crowded Conservative leadership race
    By Billythreefeathers in forum Non Firearms Politics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 01:44 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-2015, 10:16 PM
  3. Please critique letter of thanks to Steven Blaney
    By Strewth in forum Action Headquarters
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-28-2014, 08:45 PM
  4. Unacceptable - Steven Blaney
    By Drache in forum Swiss Arms Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 05:59 PM
  5. Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney's statement
    By Prairie Dog in forum Swiss Arms Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 06:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •