Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Chiappa Double Badger Mini Review

If I haven't had much time with a particular rifle, but still want to share initial thoughts, I put up a mini-review. Thoughts subject to change after I've put more rounds downrange.

I find combination rifles really interesting. I mean, who wouldn’t want to have so much flexibility in ammo with just 1 rifle? The Chiappa Double Badger offers a 22lr barrel and 410 shotgun barrel in 1 rifle for about $350. These two cartridges offer flexibility needed for small game on the ground and in the air.

Link to mini review: http://www.huntinggearguy.com/rifle-...badger-review/

The kids absolutely adore mine - it's a very very fun gun. Completely happy i bought it. Mine 'mashes' the 22 lr's a little bit (hammer is a little hard, have to kind of pry the shell out with your finger) but nothing serious.

At least you don't have to worry about light primer strikes. My Marlin 795 will start leaving light primer strikes if it gets really gunky.

Quote Originally Posted by adrielm View Post
    At least you don't have to worry about light primer strikes. My Marlin 795 will start leaving light primer strikes if it gets really gunky.
    No i do not. This one hits 'em like they owe it money

The 410 is just right tho. The gun is a great weight for smaller shooters, blows mellons and assorted stunt-fruit apart quite nicely, will send a shaving cream can into low earth orbit with a nice satisfying spray and has low enough recoil that the 11 year old can shoot it all day and night. perfect little blaster for hunting grouse too. Great gun, and a fair bit cheaper than the savage arms equivalent. It's got a really nice 'old school' look about it too.

Thank you for the mini-review, reading it now, been waiting for a review.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Those of you that have this little gem...do you have the .22LR OR .22WMR version? And, has anybody actually gone hunting with theirs yet?
    Magua took the hatchet to colour with blood...It is still bright.

I have the 22lr. Haven't hunted with it yet (except for pop-can grouse ) But i've shot a lot with it and its exactly what you'd expect - the 22 is nice and accurate with decent sights, plenty good enough for gophers or grouse or bunnies or squirrels etc, and the 410 has been patterning quite nicely with federal birdshot and will do anything you'd expect a decent 410 to do. Also, it's hell on shaving cream cans

The 12 year old shoots it with zero issues, it's got just enough kick to know it went off but not enough to actually push him around at all.

It sounds like a great youth hunting gun, which is why I'm taking a good look at it. My 12 year old daughter can handle the .410 without issue. I'd like to upgrade her to 20gauge at some point, but for now it's .410. From what I have read, everybody likes theirs and I'm likely going to hop on the boat too. However, I have found the least expensive variant to be the .22WMR combo. I took a lot of groundhogs with head shots and the .22WMR while a teenager (because I found that even with solid body shots, they would often make it back down their holes), but have no experience with it in terms of hunting for the pot. I'm hoping somebody can provide some insight as to whether it is too much rimfire goodness for grouse and such outside of the effective range of the .410.

Honestly i'd get the WMR. The 410 will handle anything a 22lr will at closer ranges, and for grouse and the like you need to head/neck 'em anyway or you do a lot of damage even with the lr. the 22 wmr will bump you up into some slightly larger animals and should still be accurate enough to head shoot the smaller ones. I grabbed mine because it was the last one in the store, but if I'd had a choice at the time i'd have probably gone with the magnum. Just my two cents.

(wish they made this in 22 /20 gauge. That'd be an amazing gun )

Yeah, the .22/20 would be ideal. I've never actually hunted with a .22 or .410 as I've been a 20/12 gauge guy in that regard since I started hunting. So, I'm a little skeptical of the .410's ability to get birds at all but powder burn range. But, that may just be a lack of field experience talking. In terms of the rimfire option, from what I've read, most everyone talks about the WMR as a headshot proposition. From, that, I was thinking of being able to do body shots on grouse with the LR version until she is good enough for head shots...I hadn't really thought of the regular rimfire round as causing much meat damage...but in your experience it has?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast