Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Court orders Saltspring gun club to mitigate noise

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Cour...416/story.html

Court tells Saltspring gun club to muzzle noise of shooting

A rod and gun club on Saltspring Island that has been in operation for 55 years and is used as a training facility by RCMP has been declared a nuisance and ordered to take measures to deal with noise complaints from neighbours.

Brian Milne and Jean Barakett, a local couple, took the Saltspring Island Rod and Gun Club to court over the impact of the noise on their 22-acre property, which they purchased for $4 million in 2006.

Milne, a semi-retired businessman who does not live on the property but uses it as a farm and keeps animals, said the sound of shooting was “almost like an explosion” and painful to the ears, despite his hearing problems.

He said the shooting startles the sheep, and the turkeys pile up and suffocate — on one occasion, 15 birds died as a result.

A man leasing a home on the property said he heard a semi-automatic firearm discharging 17 to 21 consecutive shots and called the rapid firing of medium-calibre pistols comparable to a “war zone.”

Other neighbours found the shooting noise just as disturbing.

In a ruling released this week, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Elliott Myers noted that Saltspring, one of the Gulf Islands, was not a wilderness but was also not a high-density urban area and was sought by people wanting peace and quiet.

The judge, who observed that there had been a history of complaints against the club, said he accepted that the noise heard by the plaintiffs and their neighbours was disturbing.

“It is percussive. It is irregular in its intervals and therefore unpredictable. It can be frightening. I find that the shooting as currently practised constitutes a nuisance.”

The judge granted the plaintiffs a “limited” injunction against the club, but left it to the parties to come to terms that could be brought back before him after a trial period.

He said those terms should include a reduction in shooting hours, soundproofing for the indoor range, extending the “side berms” on an outdoor range and the possible elimination of the “cowboy action” range, a mock set-up where a shooter fires at western-style targets.

The club began operations in 1959 and has 190 members. It allows the RCMP, which has a detachment at Ganges, to use the facility for training purposes.
    CSSA CCFR

The comments are heartening after the article, dealing with the idiocy of people that complain about noise moving next to a previously existing loud thing, and a couple of laments about the illegality of suppressors; one commentor was nice enough to post the court documentation:
    http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/...14BCSC1088.htm
    I would sue the real estate agent.
    CSSA CCFR

Judge orders suppressors for everybody!
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangeday View Post
    Judge orders suppressors for everybody!
    One would think, hey? Range use only to start? Extra tax for te gubermint? Happy neighbours? Hearing damage mitigation for public healthcare? Win win win win?
    CSSA CCFR

There seems to be a lot of cases where people deliberately move next to a gun range only to later complain about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Member ~ NFA (for now), CSSA

You'd think before plunking down a cool 4 mill you'd Google Earth the property.
    CSSA CCFR

Didn't this happen back east and the gun club which had been there for 50 or so years was shut down by a group of people who moved in next door and were only there for a couple years?

I remember the same thing happening here in BC where someone moved next to a farm then complained about the smell and the sight of livestock having sex. Luckily that was thrown out by a judge at least.

My idea is for the gun club to file against the farm stating the smell of the animals is upsetting the people who are shooting

For those on Facebook let's get the word out! https://www.facebook.com/groups/SupportSaltSpring/

Mountainview......
    Calvin Martin, Q.C. 1933 - 2014

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

BC Ferries is looking to cut a few routes . . . With fewer businesses needing the service, they can stop a few crossings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast