Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question STATT timelines?

My apologies if this is topic posted elsewhere, but I wanted to pose a couple of questions regarding process and timelines for obtaining a short-term-authorization-to-transport.

For a bit of background, I just purchased my first restricted firearm. As such, the dealer submitted the registration and STATT for me. About a week later, I received a confirmation of receipt for the transfer of registration from the dealer to me for the firearm from the RCMP.

Considering that I haven't yet obtained the STATT to take it home, I found this rather odd (e.g., what if my STATT is denied - it IS afterall, an application, which in itself implies the possibility - then I have to somehow figure out how to transfer the registration for the firearm that I'm unable to transport home back to the dealer. How goofy is this?!).

Question 1: Why do they even bother to perform the registration transfer when the STATT hasn't gone through? This seems to be putting the cart before the horse.

Question 2: How long does it take for the STATT to go through? I'm at the 2 week post-purchase mark as of yesterday, which is twice as long as it took to get my LTATT! (WTF?!)

In the meantime, I'm left empathizing with Homer:
    Last edited by billyedtimmy; 07-31-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    *** ATTENTION: THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE PRESENTLY UNDER REVIEW BY AND PERMANENTLY STORED AT THE NSA. THE AUTHOR(S) MAY BE CHARGED WITHOUT RECOURSE FOR ANY STATEMENTS DEEMED 'TERRORISTIC' PUNISHABLE BY, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FINES, IMPRISONMENT, TORTURE AND/OR DEATH. ***

The STATT is issued out of Miramishi. The registration certificate is issued out of Ottawa. The STATT is only issued to get your firearm to your home from the post office or store. That's it. The transfer is issued to get a new registration certificate to the new owner.

If you have proof of membership to a certified range, your STATT ,and the LTATT for that matter, will be issued almost immediately. You can receive them by fax or e-mail and copy it to use to get your firearm home.

So, when you get your ATT's, you can take it home. You cannot take it to use at a range until you receive your registration certificate. These can take up to three weeks to get because it is issued from Ottawa.

So, when you receive the original certificate, you can then legally take your firearm to a range to shoot.

It sucks......welcome to Canadian firearms regulations.

Alrightty, I got it figured out (and got my gun!).

Before going to pick up, I had to have:
    (1) Buyers transfer form (received from RCMP in the mail)
    (2) Registration (received from RCMP in the mail)

Then the seller receives:
    (1) Seller transfer form (from the RCMP)

THEN, I apply for and receive:
    (1) STATT (short-term authorization to transport).

After killing those rainforests, I was able to pick up the new firearm.

Looking forward to hitting the range tomorrow (yes, I have my LTATT already)!
    *** ATTENTION: THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE PRESENTLY UNDER REVIEW BY AND PERMANENTLY STORED AT THE NSA. THE AUTHOR(S) MAY BE CHARGED WITHOUT RECOURSE FOR ANY STATEMENTS DEEMED 'TERRORISTIC' PUNISHABLE BY, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FINES, IMPRISONMENT, TORTURE AND/OR DEATH. ***

When I got my restricted all I had to do was get the reference number from the dealer, call the CFO, wait on hold for half an hour, talk to a nice lady for 5 minutes and receive the transfer certificate and STATT by email literally 2 minutes later.
    I asked if that's all I needed to take it home and she said yes. I would have to wait for the original registration from Ottawa before taking it to the range with the LTATT that I got at the same time as my ST.
    CFSC and CRFSC Instructor to Santa

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    You cannot take it to use at a range until you receive your registration certificate.
    According to the BC CFO the "Transfer Notification" is fine enough until the Registration Certificate arrives.

Yes I know the ATT states "The holder must be in possession of the registration certificate" but if that was set in stone, then you wouldn't even be able to take the gun home from the store until the certificate was mailed to you now would you?

I would really like for everybody to stop using the terms and acronyms for short-term and long-term ATT's. They don't exist. It's just ATT.

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    I would really like for everybody to stop using the terms and acronyms for short-term and long-term ATT's. They don't exist. It's just ATT.
    There is a difference between them though until the law is changed....

There are no "them". An ATT is an ATT is an ATT. The dates, times and locations on each copy may be different, but there is no such thing as a document titled STATT or LTATT.

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    There are no "them". An ATT is an ATT is an ATT. The dates, times and locations on each copy may be different, but there is no such thing as a document titled STATT or LTATT.
    The documents themselves might not say "Short Term" or "Long Term" but the Government uses those terms. I have to differentiate between two different "types" of ATT since my "LTATT" does not allow me to take a gun home from the store I bought it in and thus have to ask for a "STATT" to do so.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    According to the BC CFO the "Transfer Notification" is fine enough until the Registration Certificate arrives.

Yes I know the ATT states "The holder must be in possession of the registration certificate" but if that was set in stone, then you wouldn't even be able to take the gun home from the store until the certificate was mailed to you now would you?
    According to the CFC, and yes, I specifically asked this exact question, 'He can take the firearm home and store it safely there until the registration arrives in the mail. He cant take it to the range until he has it.'
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast