Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Good video, thanks for sharing.

I sharpen my knives the same method as the video but use an old, large oil stone with oil. Then finish up by stropping the blade on a piece of leather. Strop first on the course side of the leather and finish up with the smooth side. When I'm done, I can shave with the blade.

My favorite knives are my very old Marbles Gladstone knives, pat. 1916 ones (wood carver) and the older Kinfolks. . Both these are quick to get an edge and hold the edge for quite awhile. My old Western Colorado knives don't sharpen up quite as easy, but do with patience.

Rod

Experience is how to get things sharp... I love shaving with my knives. Pick up a cheap knife and a water or oil stone and practice until you have ruined the knife and then fix it. As a carpenter i have spent a ton of time on a water stone and everything i have gets sharpened. Just remember for shaving sharp you do need a leather strop they clean up those edges very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by wraco View Post
    Good video, thanks for sharing.
    X2, that was great, thanks!

Has anyone ever tried sandpaper over a mousepad? I've heard but not tried, will be following this thread.

Anyone got advice on where to get decent stones as well?

Awesome thread...
    I am all ears, as I was just wondering about this while tring to sharpen my hunting knife. Please enlighten me on the ways of properly to put the sharp back to my blade please.

Senior Member OutdoorPursuitsCanada's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynetheman View Post
    Anyone got advice on where to get decent stones as well?
    From us

Senior Member OutdoorPursuitsCanada's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynetheman View Post
    Has anyone ever tried sandpaper over a mousepad? I've heard but not tried, will be following this thread.
    Works good for convex ground blades.

Good stuff browsing now.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I can't believe I missed this thread ! Well....a little late input is better than none I guess. I'm a fan of bench stone sharpening myself. For rough sharpening..quick and dirty, I use a cheap 400/600 dual grit stone. Good enough for a quick pass on the pocket knife. When I want to put a good edge on one of my more expensive knives, I've 2 Japanese water stones....800 grit and 1500 grit. In my humble opinion, anything finer than that will put a higher shine on your blade, but there are diminishing returns on your time and effort. After using your knife for more than a few minutes, even skinning, that ultra high gloss honed edge is in need of work.

I'll add more when I have a few minutes to spare guys. I don't even have time right now to scan through the entire thread, so my appologies if it's been mentioned. Do a google search on "the scarey sharp system". It's a cheaper way of attaining crazy sharp edges...involves putting sandpaper on a sheet of glass....but I still prefer working up a good slury on my water stones.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast