Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some advice

I finally got my club level att the other day yay me!!!. My AR was my first purchase and I blinged it out just because i could. I bought an eotech for it, being the cool thing to do so i thought. Off to the range i go. I really didn't enjoy it. I'm not entirely sure where i wanna go with this hobby, but first i must continue to get comfortable shooting left. I'm considering picking up a 3x magnifier to try out with the eotech or even scrapping that whole idea. I'd like to call on the oodles of experience here and get some recommendations on a better solution, maybe a decent scope, poor man's acog? I've searched around seems like too many options, figured i'd ask the proz here any feedback is appreaciated!

What is it about the Eo that's not working for you. I'm guessing you want to see your shots on the paper. A 3x might do it for close up targets but probably not for anything over 50 yards.

Bushnell has their AR line of optics that are made for AR's. They have an ACOG style scope but at a much more affordable price as well as several other very nice one's.

A little more detail with what you're looking for would help but check out the bushnell stuff and you should be ok.

Mainly to see what I'm aiming at, 25y is fine, 50y I gotta get off my ass and go look. I looked at the bushnell stuff, looks like I'm gonna go shopping this weekend. Thx for responding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtlgun View Post
    What is it about the Eo that's not working for you. I'm guessing you want to see your shots on the paper. A 3x might do it for close up targets but probably not for anything over 50 yards.

Bushnell has their AR line of optics that are made for AR's. They have an ACOG style scope but at a much more affordable price as well as several other very nice one's.

A little more detail with what you're looking for would help but check out the bushnell stuff and you should be ok.
    I like this post so I'm going to chime in with another "I agree" so I don't have to type so much.

Congrats on the ATT! Hopefully we won't have to say that for too much longer.
    I've got an Aimpoint Pro and Vortex 3x magnifier on my .223 upper and a Bushnell 1x4 PCL on my .22 upper, this magnification barely does it for me at 50 yards with little .22 holes.
    I really like the Aimpoint's 2MOA dot, the Bushnell I have has the First Focal Plane focus, so the reticle grows with the magnification, kinda neat. At 4x the reticle's a little thick, and obscures too much of the target IMHO, but there's lots of other ones to choose from.
    CSSA CCFR

You might think about just getting a spotting scope G. It's pretty much standard equipment for people who shoot with iron sights and it can be handy for optics as well. Some people don't like the bulk and weight you get with higher magnification scopes or the red dot just jumps out at tired old eyes better. That's where the spotting scope combo is used best. I've had decent luck with cheap binoculars in the $30 range out to 100 yards.
    Personally I don't shoot much long range so that's all I need. If you're planning on going out past that you find a decent spotting scope to be essential.

Quote Originally Posted by mtlgun View Post
    You might think about just getting a spotting scope G. It's pretty much standard equipment for people who shoot with iron sights and it can be handy for optics as well. Some people don't like the bulk and weight you get with higher magnification scopes or the red dot just jumps out at tired old eyes better. That's where the spotting scope combo is used best. I've had decent luck with cheap binoculars in the $30 range out to 100 yards.
    Personally I don't shoot much long range so that's all I need. If you're planning on going out past that you find a decent spotting scope to be essential.
    Good point as well; I picked up one of those garbage Canadian Tire Spotting scopes for $50 and it has decent depth of field to about 150 yards. My little used Burris spotting scope works peachy to almost 350.
    CSSA CCFR

Honky Tonk Outlaw BuckingFastard's Avatar
    I run a aimpoint m4s & eotech xps-2 with no mag on my 10.3 and 10.5 ar's everything else longer then that has an acog. I like the red dot but at 50-100m the acog is a lot more precise. I'm looking to get both magnifiers one day as I've had the eo combo in the past and it worked well. If you already have an eo that's what I would suggest or try and flog it for a vortex 1-4x24, that's a nice package as I've also had one of those in the past.
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way"

Finally picked up the scope yesterday. I went with a Barska 1-4x28, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Some range time earlier this eve. Hapiness factor now restored. Hitting the steel plates at 200y consistantly with norc 5.56

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    I think most would have warned you against a barska. There is a lot of poor reviews however if it's working then it's working! Maybe you got lucky and got a good one!

I had a Bushnell TRS-32 red dot on my M4 but found that shooting at the indoor range I was having issues seeing the centre of the target due to the large 5 MOA dot when setting the target out at the far end of the lane. I just recently purchased a Nikon 3x32 P-223 BDC scoped rom Bass Pro for just under $200 and love it. I can still shoot with both eyes open and the sight picture is crystal clear and this thing is designed and specifically set up for the AR platform and .223/5.56 round. Don't use a mount less then 1.5" high otherwise you really have to mash your cheek into the stock to get a good view through the lens and you'll fight with getting a hold of the charge bar if you like your stock set all the way back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast