Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

As crappy as our laws our, Guns and Ammo magazine has ranked us #6

Reading through the comments section, it sounds like the article is way off in many regards. I wouldn't really know, though, as it wouldn't let me scroll for some reason. All I got to read about was Honduras.
    I like guns.

me too - I thought it was my Linux netbook. lol

Hmmm, works for me. Swiss rated #3, and a surprise to me was the Czechs who are rated #2. Comments for the Czechs:
    The Good: After the fall of the Soviet Union, Czechs sought to restore their gun rights and indeed have some of Europe’s best. Recreational shooting is the third most popular sport in the Czech Republic, behind soccer and hockey. Unlike many European countries, citizens may obtain concealed-carry permits without declaring a reason for doing so. Czech law also recognizes the right to self-defense more strongly than most nations.

The Bad: A Czech court ruled that the right to firearms is not constitutionally recognized. All gun owners must go through a shall-issue license process including background checks and various competency exams in order to buy and own firearms. Even single-shot types must be registered.

Rate of Ownership: Despite having decent gun laws in comparison to other European countries, the rate of ownership is quite low. In 2013, there were only 306,815 firearm-owner licenses and 728,476 registered guns out of a population of 10.5 million Czechs. Overall private ownership rate is about 16.3 percent.

Allows semiautomatic rifles? Yes, with a permit.

Concealed or open carry? Though a distant second to the United States, the Czech Republic has one of the world’s best concealed-handgun laws. After obtaining a firearm-owner license (requires backgrounds checks and various competency exams), no additional permit is required to carry concealed. Up to two guns may be carried concealed at once. Open carry is highly restricted.

Here's what they said for Canada, #6

The Good: Canada’s hunting and sport-shooting traditions continue, despite the many successes of its anti-gun lobby. In 1995 the country required every gun to be registered in a federal database, but the scheme was famously disastrous and ceased operation in 2012.

The Bad: Canada has outright bans on pistols with barrel lengths under 4.1 inches, semi-auto rifle magazines holding more than 5 rounds and semiautomatic pistol magazines holding more than 10 rounds. Pistols with barrel lengths exceeding 4.1 inches, long guns with an overall length under 26 inches and semi-auto rifles with barrels under 18 inches (i.e. AR-15 variants) can only be shot at firearms ranges and require a special license. All gun ownership requires a “possession and acquisition license.” Canada’s storage requirements include provisions that the guns be unloaded and rendered inoperable or locked. Forget using them for self-defense.

Rate of Ownership: 23.8 percent

Allows semiautomatic rifles? Technically, yes, though the right is severely restricted.

Concealed or open carry? Prohibited.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell

I have long said that in the big picture we need to STFU and appreciate what we have. Too many people base their opinion of our firearm laws on the US, or how things used to be here 40 years ago, when they should be looking at an overall average of what people are allowed to do in 2014 in first world countries.

People in the UK an Australia would give a testicle to have our firearm laws. They would probably slap me in the face if I told them I've bought a Glock and AR in the last year, which are legally in my house right now, but some people in Canada are mad because we can't have concealed carry and new people can't buy belt-fed MGs.

As I always tell my kids, if you'd like more you can always politely ask for more, but never say you're entitled to something or you may p!ss someone off and lose it, and you should always appreciate what you have.
    Last edited by Petamocto; 09-16-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Truth, ethos, and human nature have not changed in forty years, so why should freedom and responsibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    I have long said that in the big picture we need to STFU and appreciate what we have. Too many people base their opinion of our firearm laws on the US, or how things used to be here 40 years ago, when they should be looking at an overall average of what people are allowed to do in 2014 in first world countries.

People in the UK an Australia would give a testicle to have our firearm laws. They would probably slap me in the face if I told them I've bought a Glock and AR in the last year, which are legally in my house right now, but some people in Canada are mad because we can't have concealed carry and new people can't buy belt-fed MGs.

As I always tell my kids, if you'd like more you can always politely ask for more, but never say you're entitled to something or you may p!ss someone off and lose it, and you should always appreciate what you have.
    Problem is, what we "are allowed to do in 2014" is based on lies, deception and false supposition. And I'm not talking about 40 years ago. C-68/C-17 aren't that old.
    Pew pew pew

Quote Originally Posted by Swampdonkey View Post
    Truth, ethos, and human nature have not changed in forty years, so why should freedom and responsibility?
    Short answer: Because demographics have changed in 40 years.

The majority used to grow up rural areas where it was normal to have guns and normal to like guns.

The majority of people who vote now grow up in suburban areas where guns are not normal. They see guns as something inner city gangsters have, or red neck farmers have.

What has changed is that more people now don't want guns. That's why we should appreciate what we have, and not say stupid things like "no compromise", because as long as that majority doesn't care, we're fine.

Gotta agree with Doug. Yes it could be worse. And WOULD be worse if we weren't bitching and didn't have someone to bitch to.

You think the Libtards will help us out? My local MP is the only Lib I know of that is actively pro-gun. Going back to where we were 25 years ago would a GOOD START.
    Last edited by Gaidheal; 09-16-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Too slow in typing post

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Short answer: Because demographics have changed in 40 years.

The majority used to grow up rural areas where it was normal to have guns and normal to like guns.

The majority of people who vote now grow up in suburban areas where guns are not normal. They see guns as something inner city gangsters have, or red neck farmers have.

What has changed is that more people now don't want guns. That's why we should appreciate what we have, and not say stupid things like "no compromise", because as long as that majority doesn't care, we're fine.
    The rural majority split was around WW2, not 40 years ago.

More people now DO want guns. We are exploding in numbers. we had 20+ new WOMEN alone show up to shoot skeet as newbs the last weekend or so in tiny little PEI

I see girls/women driving around with Browning decals on their vehicles.
    Last edited by Gaidheal; 09-16-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast