Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post

Added: I should have mentioned that I am leaning heavily toward 22LR, but it is not mandatory. I'd be willing to look at 17HMR to have a new calibre to dabble with, but I'm pretty sure practically all youth models are going to be 22LR
    I doubt you'll find any single shot .17s. Would the Ruger American be an option? It comes with interchangeable stock modules to change the LOP. It's a bolt action but not a single shot.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ct/models.html
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
    I doubt you'll find any single shot .17s. Would the Ruger American be an option? It comes with interchangeable stock modules to change the LOP. It's a bolt action but not a single shot.

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ct/models.html
    Does H&R still make a break action .17? If so they have youth length butts available.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Does H&R still make a break action .17? If so they have youth length butts available.
    Sure do.... problem is that the majority of them (if not all) are heavy barrels....
    It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by superbrad View Post
    Sure do.... problem is that the majority of them (if not all) are heavy barrels....
    I doubt my 455 with the varmint barrel even weighs that much.

Edit: according to the CZ website it's 3.4 Kilos (7.5 lbs)
    Last edited by Prairie Dog; 09-19-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Yep.... and a youth 22 should be at no more than 2 pounds.... IMOP

Quote Originally Posted by superbrad View Post
    True enough, it'd be a bench only proposition for a young'un. I change my vote back to Crikett. Maybe a nice laminate with the stainless barrel? Adult stocks available too, so it can continue in service beyond the tiny years.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Thompson Contender used to make the sweetest little break action 22 kids rifle, but I dont see it on their website anymore. Ask around and maybe somebody still has one kicking around. They only weigh about 2.5 pounds and the trigger guard action release is super easy to operate. They have an exposed hammer that has to be cocked separately after loading. Just the ultimate gun to train kids with. I bought my sons about 3 years ago. It has an extractor on it so its easy to pick the spent case out of the chamber, and the thing is stupidly accurate.for what it is. Rear peep sight......I love the thing. A friend of mine has been searching for a couple of them for a few years now for his daughters. If you do find someone who has a few in stock, could you pm me their name. I know he'd take 2 right now if he could find them.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 09-19-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Thompson Contender used to make the sweetest little break action 22 kids rifle, but I dont see it on their website anymore. Ask around and maybe somebody still has one kicking around. They only weigh about 2.5 pounds and the trigger guard action release is super easy to operate. They have an exposed hammer that has to be cocked separately after loading. Just the ultimate gun to train kids with. I bought my sons about 3 years ago. It has an extractor on it so its easy to pick the spent case out of the chamber, and the thing is stupidly accurate.for what it is. Rear peep sight......I love the thing.
    You are referring to the TC hot shot...... nice little rifles indeed, but not sure about hammers and little fingers (thinking half cocked fires due to slippage.... and the other downfall is there are no scope mount options (although i am a firm believer that kids should start on irons anyways).....

Hammer slippage is only an issue if the firearm is pointed in an inappropriate direction when it occurs.

If starting a child who doesn't appear to have the strength to cock the rifle while pointed at the target, do it yourself until the strength is developed.

I bought the rifle for my six and eight year old grandsons. Worked well for them, but they were very clear about their preference for the Ruger Bearcat.
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

To show that public safety isnít hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

Wow, thank you everyone for your posts; they are very appreciated.

I can't believe the Cricket is only 2.5 pounds, that's crazy. But as later pointed out, I don't see any reason for a bolt + cock type of action.

The Savage Rascal is so far the leading contender, I guess. The CZ would be a possibility if I could find a used one, but they seem too rare in any state so I may as well just go with the Rascal.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast