Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by superbrad View Post
    You are referring to the TC hot shot...... nice little rifles indeed, but not sure about hammers and little fingers (thinking half cocked fires due to slippage.... and the other downfall is there are no scope mount options (although i am a firm believer that kids should start on irons anyways).....
    Nope....Not even close....The gun doesn't work like that. After it's fired and you let go of the trigger, the hammer won't go forward far enough to hit the firing pin. You can't even hold the trigger down and make it happen because it's locked out until the hammer is fully cocked again. The gun is pretty much 100% fool proof/accident proof until you've reloaded it, and have the hammer fully cocked back into the ready to fire position. In my honest opinion, it's got every quality it could possibly have to be the safest kids gun out there. I have no idea why they stopped selling them.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 09-20-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Pet.... the rascal is actually less than 2 pounds.... 1.7 as I remember.... if you ever want to try before you buy oet me know.....
    It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

Pet.... the rascal is actually less than 2 pounds.... 1.7 as I remember.... if you ever want to try before you buy oet me know.....
    Thank you for the offer. I would take you up on it if we didn't live six hours apart.

Arent you in pet?.... only 3 or so hours away as I recall....

No, Pet was years ago, and NB was after that. I'm posted to Meaford now, and living in Collingwood.

Petamocto = Peta + Oromocto = Mocto = Petamocto.

I thought about amending it to Petamoctoford, but that's just dumb.

The problem with crickett rifles is that they require to have the bolt pulled back like the old cooeys...this can be hard for little hands...When I looked at these for my young lad I went with the Rascal...cocks on close, has a nice bright cocking indicator and is really easy to manouevre the bolt...and has a very functional and easy to use safety...
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW .45 View Post
    Hammer slippage is only an issue if the firearm is pointed in an inappropriate direction when it occurs. If starting a child who doesn't appear to have the strength to cock the rifle while pointed at the target, do it yourself until the strength is developed...
    Been there, done that.

The Rascal is safer to use than the other options; the youth does not have to stuggle with the bolt, so the youth can focus on the more important issues of (constant) muzzle control and (constant) trigger finger discipline; the (Accu-)trigger, from the factory, is actually set at an ideal weight, so the youth does not have to struggle with a too-heavy trigger and can learn trigger control. And, because the Rascal operates exactly like larger rifles, the youth will not have to re-learn a different manual of arms later, when he/she moves up.

I wish that the Rascal had an adjustable (or shorter) LOP.
    Last edited by Wendell; 09-20-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Very well put..... its very important to teach the sequence.... and, imop, bolt rifles are what rifles should be... everything else is for the experienced.....

And, with regard to the 'safety'-equipped Crickett...

"We have an inveterate dislike of the profusion of safety devices with which all automatic pistols are regularly equipped. We believe them to be the cause of more accidents than anything else. There are too many instances on record of men being shot by accident either because the safety-catch was in the firing position when it ought not to have been or because it was in the safe position when that was the last thing to be desired. It is better, we think, to make the pistol permanently 'unsafe' and then to devise such methods of handling it that there will be no accidents..."

-W.E. Fairbain & E.A. Sykes, Choosing a Pistol, Shooting to Live (Oliver and Boyd, 1942)
    Last edited by Wendell; 09-21-2014 at 02:22 PM.

I agree with that logic. The only time I am content using a safety is when contact is potentially imminent, meaning a soldier on patrol or a police officer going into some place high-threat, because in both cases the extra second it takes to cock/ready the firearm may get the good guy killed.

But in any other instance I either have the firearm unloaded, or I am loading it because I am going through the steps to shoot something I want to shoot. I don't even ever put any of my firearms on safe when I'm at the range, they're either in the process of being fired, or completely unloaded.

I agree entirely with what that guy wrote in 1942, for the same reasons. There is no time to ever joke around with a firearm or do something stupid like point the thing at someone and pull the trigger because you think it's on safe.

Even when I know full-well that mine are unloaded, and even that plus trigger locked, if I ever saw my kids pointing one at someone they would get their first beating in a while.

The Crickett 'safety' device I was talking about is something else altogether. To activate it, you depress the plunger; to deactivate it, you need a key.

No thanks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast