Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like many other dads, I was looking into the same three rifles. In the end, I decided to stick with picking up a Rascal for my little one. I didn't like reading about the weight, size, and issues of the Henry and I really don't like the extra pull step on the bolt of the Cricket. If you are looking for a Cricket, a guy at International in Surrey said they have one.

I think the Rascal is leading out for now. I would have bought something slightly better quality, but the Rascal appears "good enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    I think the Rascal is leading out for now. I would have bought something slightly better quality, but the Rascal appears "good enough".
    If the Rascal was still available in the coloured laminate stocks instead of the plastic, I'd be all over it. The basic design of these rifles doesn't seem to have changed much since the Lakefield days, my Mark II was a fine budget gun.
    Last edited by kennymo; 09-24-2014 at 08:54 AM.

kennymo - I believe the Rascal can be ordered with a hardwood stock.

After making a bunch of calls I finally found one red Savage Rascal in the Lower Mainland. Went and picked it up from Reliable this morning, and then had it our to the range to "test fire" it after work. Nice simple action, smooth bolt, it nicely ejects empty casings, and the sights are surprisingly accurate.

I'll be giving this to my boy for either his Bday or Xmas, but I figured I would get the search done early. Many shops have these Rascals on back order and have had on back order for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
    kennymo - I believe the Rascal can be ordered with a hardwood stock.

After making a bunch of calls I finally found one red Savage Rascal in the Lower Mainland. Went and picked it up from Reliable this morning, and then had it our to the range to "test fire" it after work. Nice simple action, smooth bolt, it nicely ejects empty casings, and the sights are surprisingly accurate.

I'll be giving this to my boy for either his Bday or Xmas, but I figured I would get the search done early. Many shops have these Rascals on back order and have had on back order for a while.
    Apparently up until a couple years ago they could be had in a two tone pink laminate, similar to what's available on the Crikett right now. Since it looks like I might be stuck with some pink guns in the cabinet, I'll shoot for wood ones if I can. .
    Though I did see a post on that other site a while back about dying old hardwood stocks a shade of purple (Looky I think?).

Dying or staining wood stocks isn't hard at all, I've done a few now. Good luck with your search. So far, I am quite happy with the Rascal over the other options mentioned.

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
    If you are looking for a Cricket, a guy at International in Surrey said they have one.
    Thanks for the lead, they are close to my work. After the complaints on here about the Crickets, maybe it's best I play with one again. For science, of course.

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    I tried International's Crickett yesterday (in pink ) and while I don't think that the need to cock it is an issue...I do have a small issue with the way to unload it if it is already cocked. You have to pull back and squeeze the trigger slightly to release it. Seems like it's teaching some bad habits.

Originally Posted by Page 9 of the Crickett owners manual:

Uncocking the Rifle. Making sure the rifle is pointed
    in a safe direction, grasp the cocking piece with
    your thumb and forefinger and pull to the rear. At the
    same time, with your other hand, slowly pull the trigger.
    While holding the cocking piece and pulling the
    trigger, allow the cocking piece to slowly move forward
    until it stops.
    There was no talk in the manual or included in the box of a key...
    Last edited by Candychikita; 09-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.

An easy win for the Rascal. If you don't like plastic, get the hardwood stock version.
    Skip the scope mount thing though, it messes with loading.
    I suggest one of those 4 sided quad rails that clamp on the barrel (from ebay) and a small red dot like the trs-25.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast