Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Best for youth? Rascal? Mini Bolt? Cricket?

Hello everyone,

I've got a Remington 597 that my wife and I love plinking with, but it's still a bit much for my daughter. She could fire it from a bipod on a table, but I'd rather teach her on a single shot so she can better understand how guns work.

I've seen lots of people reviewing the Savage Rascal, and they seem to be the most popular in stores, but Cabela's also has a Henry Mini Bolt that looks higher quality, but there are quite a few people complaining about it not ejecting properly.

Google also brings up a Crickett and a CZ452 Scout, but I've never seen these in stores to handle. Ditto Marlin XT22 youth.

As far as my criteria, single shot like I mentioned, and I'm willing to pay a bit mroe to get higher quality, but within reason. IE, I'd be willing to spend $300 if it were a lot better than the $200 option, but I'm not going to spend $600+ to get a target match quality youth rifle.

Thank you for any tips. I'm surprised I haven't been able to find a large comparison review from a reputable website for youth models, so if anyone else has a link for that, it would be great, please.

Added: I should have mentioned that I am leaning heavily toward 22LR, but it is not mandatory. I'd be willing to look at 17HMR to have a new calibre to dabble with, but I'm pretty sure practically all youth models are going to be 22LR (I don't want a 410 combo gun, either). I was able to find a Rossi 17HMR youth model, but the pictures make it look very cheaply made.
    Last edited by Petamocto; 09-19-2014 at 09:08 AM.

I have 6yr old girls and a 3yr old boy. Bought a Henry refurb because it looks to be better quality. It is a little heavier. Forgot to compare the length of pull. My kids haven't shot it yet because the stock is too loose, I'm going to try bedding it. I only mention this as something to look at. I think the Henry also needs to be cocked after closing the bolt, the Rascal cocks with the bolt if I am recalling it right.
    My dad also picked up a Rascal for them to shoot on the farm. My girls are capable of running it on their own although a bit heavy for freehand. After shooting it, the Henry wasn't worth it. I'd just go with the Rascal.

The Crikett can be had through Prophet River (in stock) or Irunguns (pull from US for better selection). It's likely the route I'll take eventually, they have a good reputation and can be had with a nice pink laminate stock. (I dislike plastic for all but my most utilitarian guns) The Rascal seems decent and the nice thing about that one is it's cock on open. A bit easier for smaller kids to use, though I'm sure Dad/Mom would be right there to pull the cocking knob back for them, sometimes the 'I did it' factor comes into play.
    Good luck and have fun!

Haha, I see that Markin makes a Youth model XS7 in 308! Here I am wondering if 17HMR isn't perhaps too large for a kid, but apparently other people have tougher kids than me.

To each their own, and I won't tell someone else what to do with their kids, but I'm 6'2" and a fit 220, and I don't like firing 308/30.06.

I guess maybe you could have a smaller teen or adult who isn't large enough for a "normal" sized rifle and they still want to go hunting, but to me the term "youth" means 5-10 years old. I can't imagine my daughter, even if she has been shooting for a couple years and knew how to lean into it, firing a 308 bolt from the standing and not have it break her tiny shoulder.

Really? 308? I don't even bother with a recoil pad for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Really? 308? I don't even bother with a recoil pad for mine.
    Yes, I'm a wussy, I know.

It's not that I won't fire it at all, I just don't enjoy it as much. When I go to the range I'll shoot maybe two 5-rd groupings out of my Browning BAR and that's good for me.

I'll then shoot hundreds out of my bolt and semi-auto 5.56 rifles.

Two years ago when my daughter was 11 I bought her a Savage Cadet. She absolutely loves it and has become quite proficient with it. Unsupported/free hand she can out shoot me, but don't tell her that. I lucked out and found one with a thumb hole stock.

She's grown quite a bit since then and would probably benefit from a larger firearm but when I get her to try other rifles she always says, 'nope, I like mine better'.

Another option, like you indicated, but alot more $$$$ is the CZ Scout with the single shot adapter.
    Last edited by Prairie Dog; 09-19-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    I've seen and handled the pink Cricketts at Cabelas in the States, thought they would be perfect for my girls...but I haven't seen any up in Canada. The weight (2.5 lbs) and the size (too small for my arms, which is rare) were the most appealing of the smaller rifles I've seen yet.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Crick...les/706414.uts

Quote Originally Posted by Candychikita View Post
    I've seen and handled the pink Cricketts at Cabelas in the States, thought they would be perfect for my girls...but I haven't seen any up in Canada. The weight (2.5 lbs) and the size (too small for my arms, which is rare) were the most appealing of the smaller rifles I've seen yet.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Crick...les/706414.uts
    45198 Savage Rascal, Blued/Pink Synthetic, Youth, 16-1/8" 22 LR 189.00 NEW

http://www.p-d-ent.com/index.php/fir...non-restricted
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for 'em.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me

The problem with crickett rifles is that they require to have the bolt pulled back like the old cooeys..... this can be hard for little hands....

When I looked at these for my young lad I went with the Rascal... cocks on close, has a nice bright cocking indicator and is really easy to manouevre the bolt... and has a very functional and easy to use safety that also has a nice bright indicator on it.... many dollar store pop and shaving cream cans have met their match thanks to the Rascal... my boy loves it....

As a bonus, the blaze orange stock makes it easy to find when dad puts it down on the trap line.....
    It's no fun punning with a Kleptomaniac... they keep taking things, literally.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast